Favourite & least favourite CrossFit moves?

Options
Flab2Fab27
Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
I guess this could also be a strength and weakness question. Which are your faves and which do you dread?

I enjoy squats, back squats, sit ups, pull-ups (with the band), cleans, T2B, deadlifts

Love/hate burpees & box jumps

Dread over head squats and snatches (I have a horrible time with these).

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I like any weight lifting (power or oly). I'm not that great at overhead squats or snatches but I enjoy working on them. I am strong on all of the other lifts. I am strong on ab stuff as well. I like thrusters, box jumps, and double unders.

I dread anything with pull ups (!!!!!!!) and am not too keen on toes to bar (I hate anything on the bar). My least favorite skill is agility ladder and I flat won't hit anything with a sledge hammer. I"m not a super fan of running in a WOD but given that I used to be terrible at wall balls and now don't mind them, I'm trying to work through it.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I looove weight lifting, especially oly lifting. Cleans are my favourite and I also like overhead squats and push jerks, but generally all lifting is lots of fun for me. Also enjoy double unders, KB swings, sit ups, T2B (though I'm not great at them but like working on them), and sit ups. Oh and I also like HSPU.

I HATE running and burpees, and am also not a fan of thrusters unless it's a light weight. I don't love front squats coz I find it hard to keep proper form, but I'd rather do front squats than burpees!!
    Running and burpees are the only things that make me want to walk out of the box though, not that I ever have ;)
  • Flab2Fab27
    Options
    Pistol squats used to kill me as well but now I'm able to do a lot using the band.

I can't do a handstand let alone HSPU's.

Whenever I see a WOD with high reps of thrusters I cringe.

I have an irrational fear of box jumps (no clue why) and we don't do them that often during WODS so I'm still stuck on the 18 or 19 inch boxes. Tried a 20 inch the other day and had to step up.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Love the Oly lifts, especially the snatch. Love doing (band-assisted) pullups.

I hate wall balls.
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    love burpees, thrusters, wall balls, squats (back, front, overhead), BOR, overhead lunges
    like the sohp pretty much
    want to get better at cleans
    should do more pullups (strict), deadlifts
    like the idea of non-kipping HSPUs more for fun :)

avoid - kipping, "american" kb swings, more than 3 snatches in a row, double unders - they don't fit into my goals, for a variety of reasons.

however the bestest (!), most-favorite, all-time most-awesome xfit move is "walking through the door"!
    yay!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I don't really hate anything but anything on the rings is still hard for me. I can barely even hold myself for a second or two.

My front rack stinks so thrusters are tough.

I essentially use the list of things I'm not good at to form the list of things I focus on.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Options
    3749436-0425641841-Abe-S.gif

How I feel when I see high rep of thrusters in a WOD
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    weirdly, my favourite move is double unders. Its the only move I could just do without any hassle straight from my On Ramp. Don't mind handstands, but can't do handstand push ups at all. Cleans and push press are ok too. I have a healthy respect for box jumps, gotta take my time to avoid total shin devastation.

Totally despise wall balls. Something about catching the ball just knocks all the air out of me and i'm soooo slow at them. And due to my not at all mobile rugby playing shoulders, I hate anything with a wide grip overhead as I tend to tip forward, so overhead squat and snatch (or overhead squat snatch or whatever name your coach uses for that move) is always sucky.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Favorite: anything involving heavy weight (including thrusters)

least favorite: anything slightly gymnastic related (pull-ups, t2b, muscle ups, etc.) and/or extremely endurance related (running, rowing, burpees etc.)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love T2B, pullups, pushups, rowing, C&J, snatches and deadlifts.

I HATE thrusters and wall balls. HATE.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    The only ones I really don't like are anything involving the clean motion (clean, snatch) and heavy overhead squats.

I've had back issues in the past (herniated) and these make me nervous. .I just do low weight on these.

I also hate burpees.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wall Balls, I don't have the greatest squat form - ankle and hip flex problems - I also have so little upper body strength that this movement just kills me. There are lots of things I find challenging (only been CrossFitting 3 months) but Wall Balls I actively dislike.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I looove front squats, back squats, deadlifts, box jumps, and sit ups.

I despise burpees and snatches the most, and strongly dislike anything else overhead. I get freaked out. Also not a fan of toes to bar (because I can't even do knees to elbows).

Also, I don't know where wall balls fall in this. I like them before and after, but during I think I must be smoking crack to say I like them..
  • xunleashed
    xunleashed Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Pullups and front squats any day of the week!!!
    Least Favorite: High reps of wall balls, and thrusters are a living nightmare of mine.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    notyouraveragetalia Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Favorite: Deadlifts all day! situps, squats, burpees and box jumps are all great for me, i mean, its torture but the awesome kind.
    Least Favorite: Anything compound and overhead, anything snatch, T2B or pullups.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Favorites: Burpees, cleans, kb swings, toes to bar, deadlifts, runs, handstand push ups, sit ups
    Hate: Wall balls, rowing, overhead squats, snatches, regular push ups
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Wall Balls, I don't have the greatest squat form - ankle and hip flex problems - I also have so little upper body strength that this movement just kills me. There are lots of things I find challenging (only been CrossFitting 3 months) but Wall Balls I actively dislike.

WE just started a mini challenge where the end goal is to sit in a deep squat 30 minutes a day. I'm doing about 5 minutes a day this week, will do 10 next week, etc. I can do it in about 20 second bursts right now. Will soon suck it up and go 30.

It is exquisitly uncomfortable but if you want to improve those ankle and hip mobility issues it is the easiest way and you can do it anywhere.
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    ^ so long as you don't end up with ankle impingement like I did from having a habit of sitting in a deep squat (what can I say, it's really comfy for me, but ankles disagree)

---

Faves = HSPU (strict), powerlifting/weightlifting movements, box jumps, burpees

Hate = anything involving kipping (always do it strict, don't care, not worth it for my hyper mobile joints), rowing, wall balls
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I'm taking it slow. I have decent depth in my squat not but need a bit more work.
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do practice my squat form at home, one of the coaches at my box has been great at giving me 'homework' for it, just small things to help me get used to the movement, my ankles are screwy because of an old injury and I run so my hips always tighten - so I do Yoga class once a week to help. I'm getting there with practice, I cannot imagine being able to sit in a deep squat for one minute though at the moment lol.

Forgot to mention favourite movements, running (I'm good at this) strict and push press and I recently mastered skipping so I quite like that now :smile: