suggestions for lowering daily sodium intake

Options
What are your suggestions for lowering daily sodium intake?
Thank you.

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think if you are eating clean and making a lot of your meals at home from scratch, then that should help to lower the sodium in your foods.

Just use more spices and less salt when cooking, read labels on the items you buy, and try not to stress about it. And if too much sodium does creep in to your diet, just make sure you are drinking your water.

Good luck! :smile:
  • DragonflyBoudica
    DragonflyBoudica Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful tips!
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is to check labels and make a point of choosing less sodium, even if you have to pay more for it. Also, don't add salt when cooking. Get a grinder and add just a tad, if you want some when eating. Look for other condiments that don't have much salt and use a variety of seasonings. For stir fry, don't just rely on soy sauce; use sesame oil, green onion, garlic, ginger, and sesame seeds. This has made an enormous difference for my family. We hardly ever reach for the salt anymore, and many processed things aren't even tasty to us now.
  • s0njas0n
    s0njas0n Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    making your own meals is definitely a way to lower sodium. I think that's partly why my blood pressure is been down lately because I've been making almost everything from scratch.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had this problem for the longest time and still linger right at or over the goal MFP set for me. I ended up cutting out a lot of the heavily flavored sandwich meat and going with basic oven roasted chicken deli meat. Way less sodium and just so happens to be lower in cals too.