New to clean eating

Options
lizmurder
lizmurder Posts: 17 Member
Hey everyone. My name is Liz and I'm new to the idea of clean eating. I've heard a lot about it and it makes sense to me, and I think I'm ready to give it a go. Any tips or resources you can point me to get started? Thanks!

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    There are lots of websites and blogs, so I would do a quick Google Search to find a few, peruse them, and find some you like, that fit you and your lifestyle. Eating Clean means different things to different people, so finding what it means for you is key.

For me, I started with no knowledge of "clean eating," so I started off by reading "Eating Clean for Dummies" and the "Smarter Science of Slim" (which has been re-released as "The Calorie Myth"). Then I figured out what clean eating meant for me; cutting back on processed foods, eating more natural (and when possible, organic) foods, and cutting back on the pastas and grains.

This group is awesome resource. I found posting "clean eating" in the threads to be a nightmare because some people are against it or have their own version of it and so the OP's question/comment rarely gets addressed. I love this group, because there is no judgment and we all understand that we all have our own understanding of what eating clean means to us.

Welcome to the group! :flowerforyou:
  • merrys73
    merrys73 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is always good too. I have found a lot that way. merrys73 is my screen name if you want to check. Clean eating is fairly easy, well I try to think of it simply. The only thing I haven't been able to quit is coffee creamer. I usually try to think of it as no processed foods, more whole foods. I have seen a few things where people see it a couple different ways.
  • lizmurder
    lizmurder Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the advice!
  • CEksoz
    CEksoz Posts: 2
    Options
    There are 6 basic principles to EAT CLEAN:

1- Eat whole grain foods
    2- Avoid processes foods
    3- Eliminate refined sugar
    4- Eat 5-6 small meals a day
    5- Cook your own meal
    6- Keep a balanced diet
  • AnneDavid918
    AnneDavid918 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried clean eating and find that it is a process for me. It is difficult as I am a full time worker and not home enough for me to be able to cook/prepare everything as I would like. Any shortcuts are always appreciated. Thank you.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have tried clean eating and find that it is a process for me. It is difficult as I am a full time worker and not home enough for me to be able to cook/prepare everything as I would like. Any shortcuts are always appreciated. Thank you.

Planning and prepping are definitely needed when trying to eat clean. You may need to use some of your time off for shopping, making meals ahead (at least cooking up so meat, like chicken or seafood so you can add it to salad or reheat it during the week), prepping veggies, etc. For my husband and I, we make our dinner together, then after dinner as I'm cleaning up, I pack up the leftovers for the next day's lunch, get my breakfast and snack items packed, so in the morning all I have to do is grab and go. That helps a lot.
  • s0njas0n
    s0njas0n Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    my chiropractor (and some heart issues) got me into clean eating. he recommended the book nourishing traditions, and it is SO informative and helpful, has a ton of recipes as well. : ) http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Traditions-Challenges-Politically-Dictocrats/dp/0967089735
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

1- Eat whole grain foods
    2- Avoid processes foods
    5- Cook your own meal
    6- Keep a balanced diet
    7. Avoid the main boards here. :wink:
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    #7 is the most important, lol.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    #7 is the most important, lol.

Sad but true :-(.

I am also a fulltime employee and find sandwiches and healthy snacks [green bell pepper slices in homemade dip as an example] to be the easiest way to do this at work. I just started trying to eat cleaner too and my hurdle is the wife's cooking. She cooks really awesome food but it's a lot of it heavily pre-processed etc...
  • KarenE86
    KarenE86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The site below is my favorite resource for Clean Eating, it contains information on how to eat clean, pantry lists, shopping lists, and lots of recipes
    http://www.thegraciouspantry.com/
  • mainesm
    mainesm Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group. Looking for some new MFPs to help me stay motivated!
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options

1- Eat whole grain foods
    2- Avoid processes foods
    5- Cook your own meal
    6- Keep a balanced diet

I love these principals. Something I am trying to live by.
  • LaurenBG2013
    Options
    Check out the link below, I swear by this website.....Good luck :)

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/
  • cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the books by Tosca Reno (The Eat Clean Diet, and The Eat Clean Diet Recharged ...either one, since they cover a lot of the same stuff).
  • cidalia1973
    cidalia1973 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group. Looking for some new MFPs to help me stay motivated!

Hey, I sent you a friend request. :)
  • melnorwich
    melnorwich Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I really like:
    - the clean and lean diet and cookbook by james duigan
    - master your metabolism by jillian michaels. THis isnt a clean eating book exactly, but it's really good on getting the right nutrition from different whole foods to control weight-loss and fat storing chemicals
    - the 100 foods you should be eating by glenn matten.

I hope you get as much out of this journey as I have been ......

Mel