here we go again

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
A nice woman wanting advice (on the main boards) about how to keep the "whites" (as she calls them) from her diet, and the throngs of lemming posters with blinders on come to mock her and tell her she's ridiculous for not eating as they do.

Why is there no respect for differing approaches and when did MFP become "IIFYM (and includes fast food)"?

Sorry. A tuesday rant.

Replies

• fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Rant on! Shakes head and shrugs shoulders.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Those posts make me so sad! I don't bash anyone on how they eat, because during my weight loss I've done it all. I started out by IIFYM (cramming in as much of my favorite junk food as possible) and slowly (very slowly... 8 to 9 years) transitioning to a more clean diet.

So yes, you can lose weight eating junk food and fast food, but eventually that stopped working for me. Now if I want to lose weight and keep it off, I have to eat clean.

And god forbid anyone who mentions "Clean Eating," "no sugar," or "Paleo" in a thread! :frown:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Someone else just joined and asked for nutritarian friends. Poor gal. They descended like jackals.
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    There is an interesting audience on this site and many are quite steadfast in their thoughts and bro science.

Many can still eat all the fast food and junk food they want without any ill effects. As I have gotten older, I can no longer do that. These "foods" slow my entire system down and wreak havoc with my blood sugar. I get all of the ill effects.

I have different motivations for getting healthy and while I do follow a IIFYM I am also one of the cleanest eaters that I know.

Older and wiser, I guess :wink:
  • montana_girl
    Options
    I saw the thread about nutritarian and sent her message. Told her to ignore the IIFYM people and join our group. I felt so bad for her!

Suncluster - Couldn't agree more. I lost over a 100 pounds eating junk and fast food, but I could not maintain my weight doing that. And in fact, gained about 15 pounds back. It's only been since I've gotten serious about clean eating that I started losing again.

And I'm also finding that the calories in/calories out doesn't work for me... it's all about the quality of the calories. I can eat over my daily calorie goal AND lose weight, as long as I'm eating healthy foods. If I eat junk and stay under my calorie goal, more times than not, I will gain weight.

But I would never try to explain that in the threads!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Someone referred to the girl who prefers whole grains over enriched, bleached grains "ridiculous". :noway: :laugh:

But folks are so sure they are right.

And some of the loudest pizza screamers have very boring diaries full of tuna and vegetables. :drinker:
  • suncluster
    Options
    But I would never try to explain that in the threads!

I wouldn't either. :noway:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Those posts make me so sad! I don't bash anyone on how they eat, because during my weight loss I've done it all. I started out by IIFYM (cramming in as much of my favorite junk food as possible) and slowly (very slowly... 8 to 9 years) transitioning to a more clean diet.

So yes, you can lose weight eating junk food and fast food, but eventually that stopped working for me. Now if I want to lose weight and keep it off, I have to eat clean.

And god forbid anyone who mentions "Clean Eating," "no sugar," or "Paleo" in a thread! :frown:
    In the nutritarian thread someone said why not just call it "eating reasonably". riiiiiggghhhht. Like THAT wouldn't lead to a poop storm. :smile:
  • montana_girl
    Options
    The thing I've started to notice is that it's always the same 10 to 12 people saying "just eat IIFYM." And they are so adamant. They just can't accept the fact the reason there are different ways eating. Or that there are different eating styles because everyone is different and tolerates foods differently.

I've come to think of the diet threads (cleaning eating, Paleo, Primal, WW, etc) as the religion threads. It's like discussing religion with someone who is steadfast in their beliefs and can't accept that anyone would believe something different. And the people who don't believe the way they do need to be converted and baptized into their beliefs.

*sigh*
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The thing I've started to notice is that it's always the same 10 to 12 people saying "just eat IIFYM." And they are so adamant. They just can't accept the fact the reason there are different ways eating. Or that there are different eating styles because everyone is different and tolerates foods differently.

I've come to think of the diet threads (cleaning eating, Paleo, Primal, WW, etc) as the religion threads. It's like discussing religion with someone who is steadfast in their beliefs and can't accept that anyone would believe something different. And those people need to be converted and baptized into their beliefs.

*sigh*
    Thats a great way of thinking of it. And the loudest yellers aren't able to walk a mile in any one else's shoes.
  • montana_girl
    Options
    Thats a great way of thinking of it. And the loudest yellers aren't able to walk a mile in any one else's shoes.

I don't know about you, but I've actually enjoyed trying new things, I'm open to new ideas. I never know what will work for me until I try it.
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I dont even bother replying to a lot of threads because of that. Everyone finds their own way. What works for somebody doesnt necesarily work for everyone. In the past year I have become a vegetarian, stopped eating sugar and caffeine and eat mostly gluten and dairy free. that works for me. I had my gallbladder out years ago and my body does not process food the same as it used to. I had gestational diabetes and everyone in my family has diabetes or is pre-diabetic so the sugar had to go. I like this group, glad I found it!
  • suncluster
    Options

I've come to think of the diet threads (cleaning eating, Paleo, Primal, WW, etc) as the religion threads. It's like discussing religion with someone who is steadfast in their beliefs and can't accept that anyone would believe something different. And those people need to be converted and baptized into their beliefs.

*sigh*

I'm not sure I want popular opinion on my side -- I've noticed those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.
    ---Bethania McKenstry
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

*sigh*

I'm not sure I want popular opinion on my side -- I've noticed those with the most opinions often have the fewest facts.
    ---Bethania McKenstry
    Love it!
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    My theory: There is a multi-billion dollar industry devoted to telling us that it isn't the food, it is all about portion control.

Fruits, veggies, whole grains don't have billions of dollars of bucks behind them.

I made a resolution to stay out of the debates, but just to post that that someone like this should join the Cleaning Eating Group.

I just want to scream sometimes: People, at most 5% of you will keep your weight off...maybe it is time to try something else, but then I'm pegged a know it all or a food hysteric.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My theory: There is a multi-billion dollar industry devoted to telling us that it isn't the food, it is all about portion control.

Fruits, veggies, whole grains don't have billions of dollars of bucks behind them.

I made a resolution to stay out of the debates, but just to post that that someone like this should join the Cleaning Eating Group.

I just want to scream sometimes: People, at most 5% of you will keep your weight off...maybe it is time to try something else, but then I'm pegged a know it all or a food hysteric.
    I stayed out for a while, only posting on "those" threads to suggest groups like this and others, and got harassed for that as well. ha. The only time no one questions my motives is when I suggest the menopause or PCOS groups. :laugh:
  • montana_girl
    Options

I agree! I have to wonder how much weight the "shouters" have lost, and if they are at goal, how long they have maintained their weight. I've been attempting maintenance for nearly four years and I still don't have it figured out. I do know that I have had to cut back on a lot of the junk food and I eliminated diet pop from diet. I'm constantly trying new things, reading the latest books, and doing my own research. I love how the "shouters" don't give any credence to the scientific data that shows just counting calories (calories in/calories out) isn't sustainable.

Also, my friends think I'm too obsessed about weight loss, nutrition, etc. because I'm always reading a book on the subject. I just want to have some understanding on what is going on with my body and what the best foods are to keep it healthy. So if that makes me obsessive, so be it! :tongue:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I agree! I have to wonder how much weight the "shouters" have lost, and if they are at goal, how long they have maintained their weight. I've been attempting maintenance for nearly four years and I still don't have it figured out. I do know that I have had to cut back on a lot of the junk food and I eliminated diet pop from diet. I'm constantly trying new things, reading the latest books, and doing my own research. I love how the "shouters" don't give any credence to the scientific data that shows just counting calories (calories in/calories out) isn't sustainable.

Also, my friends think I'm too obsessed about weight loss, nutrition, etc. because I'm always reading a book on the subject. I just want to have some understanding on what is going on with my body and what the best foods are to keep it healthy. So if that makes me obsessive, so be it! :tongue:
    Actually, look at their diaries. One of the pizza screamers had his carbs set to 150 yesterday and he didn't even get there. He had fewer carbs than I did.
    I worry, though, when he goes on and on about eating pizza then in actuality eats very few of the things he talks about, what message that sends to some of our younger posters who are struggling.
    I dunno.
    I'll just keep trying to fuel my body.
    Cheers folks.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I found this group due to a post one of you made on one of those threads. So, thank you very much!