Reflecting over April and moving into May.

Options
bm1409
bm1409 Posts: 1,715 Member
How was everyones first month of the challenge and what are you going to change (if anything, for May)? I lost 2 pounds and a inch off my waist. I also cut my pace of walking down by 1 minute. In April I did do some things right, but I know where I need to change some of the things I lacked at. For May, I plan on exercising more often, and try to beat my Aprils walking pace. I also plan on making better food choices. Even though I stayed the majority of the time in my calorie range or under, I know not all calories are the same nutrition wise. I also plan on eating most of my calories in the day and just eating a light dinner. What about you....what worked and didn't work in your first month of this challenge?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 pounds, 1 more than planned. Going to continue to eat all the foods and drink all the wines and margaritas. :drinker: :drinker:
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 lbs., but it was a tough month. I need to kick up the exercise and cut down the calories. I've been eating too many snacks. I'm in the normal weight range, so losing is very slow. I need to burn more calories. I'm going to try and up my protein intake also. I can't seem to stay awake in the afternoon. I come home from Kindergarten and sit at the computer, the eyes just seem to drift shut and it's no better after dinner. Something needs to change.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I gained 3 pounds. April was rough. I need to eat more consistently. If i can master that, i can make weight loss my *****.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I had lost 6.4 pounds at the last weigh in, but since I have "played" with 2 pounds up. So, I did lose but have not been able to stay at the 6.4 lost.

But I am going to continue know it will finally fall eventually.

The changes for May: (1) more steps as i want to get to 10,000 by the 15th if possible.(2) Make my calories more nutritious.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    April:
    While technically I didn't lose much in April, I'm seeing that most of it wasn't due to the amount of food I ate over the Holiday. It was probably due to the amount of salt. Since the holiday is over (10 days) I lost more than in any 10 day period since I started. So I'm attributing some of it back to April.

May:
    I think I will be cutting back on my running a bit to focus on strength training and biking. I still intent of keeping up running and increasing it significantly, but not much for May.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Seems i'm in a stall/bounce mode, not too unusual for me. Will be more active, in May, than I've been able to be for the last few months... arthritis meds, finally! Winter hurt! Also, will be paying closer attention to food choices. These combined should get me back on track.
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    April was my worst month since I've been on MFP. Only lost 3.2 lbs. Just tired all the time and can't get myself up until I have to absolutely get out of bed. Hopefully this month I will get a boot in the butt to get moving. I have seedlings growing inside, so as soon as it's decent outside, I will be able to plant them outside.
  • rachaelhubbard_
    rachaelhubbard_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 lbs, then gained some back, then lost some again. Easter is my favorite candy holiday. :)

I'm looking forward to the improved weather, as I can spend more time outside working in my yard & garden, biking with my kids, and being active. I love this time of year!
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I lost 7.5lbs in April. 2 of those because my scale weighs heavier than the doctors.

I lost some ground this week and ended up with nearly a pound gain. I'm pretty backed up so not only feeling miserable with that but weighing more.

My TDEE is really low now at 1510. Not much room for error for short people.

I'm struggling with exercising daily too.

For May, work on exercising daily. Staying at 1200 calories or less.

Before I left for China, I wore a 24hour blood pressure monitor. I haven't got the results back but it looks like it is coming down. I saw a lot of 140ish over 70s readings. Wish I would have had my home monitor checked before using it as even though it is a high quality model, it reads way high and of course was freaking me out.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    April was very frustrating. It was the first month this year that I didn't lose anything. I'm eating too much. My diary is "under" 95% of days, so on paper, I should be losing. I'm not, which means something is off.

I weigh my food when I make it at home. But there are still times where I eat something that I didn't weigh because I wasn't at home. If I'm off by just 100 calories per day, it would explain why I'm not losing anything.

My average TDEE for last week was 1947 calories (according to FitBit). So my plan for this month is to eat 1300-1400 calories per day. That way if I'm off by 100-200, I should still lose. This is way easier said than done because I am ALWAYS hungry :ohwell:
  • cathy0536
    cathy0536 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    April a bit up and down (a familiar pattern for me since Christmas). Lots of the month more positive but Easter and developing a taste for chocolate was unhelpful. TurboFire longer workouts not working for me combined with c25K so have had more days off exercise in a month than I've had since joining MFP nearly a year ago.

Moving into May feels a lot closer to the summer and my holiday in France which is giving me kick up the backside, feeling more motivated than I have for a while.

Goal for May - 4lb loss

Daily logging and try not to use more than 1/2 exercise calories. Going back to Gillian's Ripped in 30 for the month and continuing with c25K which I am loving.
  • katimorris87
    katimorris87 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    April had pretty much been the same as the last several months. Plateau still holding strong and if anything, my weight was creeping UP!
    The last week of April (and first couple days of May) were AWESOME! I broke that plateau with daily gym and CLEAN CLEAN eating. So freaking happy and excited to see what May can be.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    In April I had 13 days that I was not VERY active for at least 30 minutes. That's 4 more than the month of March. In May, I need to plan more and prep more. I will make healthier eating choices if I have prepped. It's the days I rush out the door with nothing to eat and no plan in mind that I slip up. When I eat or take my breakfast, pack a lunch and healthy snacks I do much better.

May I'm still trying to figure out my strength training. I want to lift heavy. So I'm hoping to get that going in May. I'm not too worried about the weight loss on the scale as long as I am eating well and lifting, because I have lost it too quickly in the past and I want to preserve what muscle I have left. If this means I am temporarily at a standstill with my weight loss, that weight that I should have lost is being used by my body somehow, so as long as I am seeing changes in my body (which I have been), then I will be happy.

For 3 weeks, my weight stayed the same. But I lost an inch in my waist, 1/2 inch in my hips and 1/2 inch in my legs. Last week I put on size 8 jeans and I could wear them, but they were tight in my hips and at the end of the day I could really feel that restriction. This week, they fit perfectly in the hips and I also a bit roomier in the waist.
  • Frayde
    Frayde Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    While I wasn't thrilled with only losing 4 lbs in April, at least it was a loss--going in the right direction. It was a good start. I'm really not pleased with myself for the 1.6 lb gain on 5/2. I had kicked up the walking in April, but I don't think I was being careful enough about eating. Maybe eating out too much--even though I try really hard to count those calories carefully. So that's one place to start. In addition, I'm kicking up my walking another notch. I found another walking buddy and I'll plan on walking at least 3 days a week a second time. Should put me over 5 miles a day those 3 days a week. So bring on May!