caffeine bad before long runs?

Options
For longer distance running apparently you should train your body to use fat as fuel, which means dont have carbohydrates up to a few hours before. Since caffeine releases insulin in the same way as sugars (promoting fat storage), should it also be avoided pre-workout?

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have always had coffee before my long runs. I've never had issues with it.
  • NiikouruDesu
    NiikouruDesu Posts: 100
    Options
    Okay, thanks!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My long run pre-work out usually just consists of a shot of Cellucor C4 with a big cup of water on my way to the park. Gu Chocolate Outrage as my mid-run fuel. Doesn't hurt that I'm out the door at 6:30 and don't want to burden myself by having any kind of "real" breakfast before I run (if I do, it's a banana at most).

The C4 states it has the same caffeine as 4 cups of coffee...
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Coffee before running actually has a lot of benefit. Stimulates the hairs on the bronchial tubes. Good for breathing! I drink coffee religious before a run as i have asthma and albuterol gives me migraines.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    If I don't drink coffee before I run in the morning, there will be dead bodies strewn in my wake.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I could do a morning run without coffee. I don't ever, ever intend to try :)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I actually don't drink coffee before my long run, or the morning before either. If I do, there are unnecessary potty breaks needed.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee before my long runs mostly because I like to put a lot of extras in my coffee & I don't want it sloshing around in my stomach. But I can tell a difference between caffienated afternoon runs and non-caffeinated morning runs; there's a huge energy/speed/pain tolerance difference, so if you feel fine drinking caffeine before a long run, go for it!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I could do a morning run without coffee. I don't ever, ever intend to try :)

Me neither!
    If I don't drink coffee before I run in the morning, there will be dead bodies strewn in my wake.

Agreed!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    I don't drink coffee before my long runs mostly because I like to put a lot of extras in my coffee & I don't want it sloshing around in my stomach. But I can tell a difference between caffienated afternoon runs and non-caffeinated morning runs; there's a huge energy/speed/pain tolerance difference, so if you feel fine drinking caffeine before a long run, go for it!

I think this is more of a difference between cold, tight morning muscles vs. warm, loose afternoon muscles. When I do the rare afternoon run, I always feel faster and more loose...and I'm caffeinated all hours of the day. :)
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Long run without my coffee? Oh, hayull no. I mean, just no no no no no no. I would eat the beans whole if I had to, crunch them in my teeth. I have a raging caffeine addiction that I have ZERO desire to kick. Not even for running. Nope. Nope. Nope. Life without that magical beverage? I mean, you're going to have to make a really compelling case for me and I haven't heard one yet.

Also? Coffee and a large bran muffin 1 hour before my long run. Poop 30 minutes before my long run. I get to keep my socks.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Coffee before long run (1 cup)-RUN-coffee again (unlimited quantities). (Oh, and caffeinated Clif Bar during long run too). ;D
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is proven to enhance performance in endurance activities, including running. So, it seems whatever ill effects regarding insulin it might trigger are offset by the benefits.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    A nutrionist spoke to my running group a few months ago, one of the things she said was that caffeine is the only supplement that has been extensively tested and provides the performance enhancement promised. The downside: you must be caffeine free for 10 days prior to for the full benefit on race day.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is proven to enhance performance in endurance activities, including running. So, it seems whatever ill effects regarding insulin it might trigger are offset by the benefits.

This. I gave up coffee some months back (mainly due to stress levels it places on the body and I find if you consume it more frequently the benefits mentioned above are diluted). Occasionally I'll have a bar on a long ride or run with caffeine and I get a certain short-lived jolt, which is helpful if I'm out on a really long excursion.

I'd argue those who consume coffee/caffeine more frequently will notice little to no advantage.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    A nutrionist spoke to my running group a few months ago, one of the things she said was that caffeine is the only supplement that has been extensively tested and provides the performance enhancement promised. The downside: you must be caffeine free for 10 days prior to for the full benefit on race day.

This is right there next to sleeping in an altitude tent for me. There is basically no running goal I want so badly as to alter my caffeine / coffee habit.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Hmm....not that I'm against coffee. I love it and drink far too much. BUT - I find early in the morning, it em, gets things moving. I wouldn't dream of having a cup of it before a long run for that reason alone.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    A run without coffee just wouldn't be a run for me.

I'm reading the "New Rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition" by Matt Fitzgerald right now. There's a fair amount on caffeine use. He suggests a caffeine "fast" of up to two weeks before a race to get the max benefit during a race and taking caffeine pills (ie. NoDoz, for a standardized dose) before a race at about 3 mg caffeine/kg body weight to enhance performance. Supposedly, caffeine can also help improve carbohydrate uptake during the run.

I haven't tried this, so I'm not recommending it. I'm just posting it because it's on topic and I found it interesting when I read it. Besides, I could never to two weeks without coffee before a race anyway!
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    There is basically no running goal I want so badly as to alter my caffeine / coffee habit.

Amen sister!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    A run without coffee!?! Are you nuts!?! There is No Way I will step foot outside my house without at least one cup of coffee in my system~I don't care if that is for a run or shopping or anything! Coffee~nectar of the gods.