TDEE, calories and P90X

Options
Hello Fellow MFP users,

I have read and read and read and I am still confused about TDEE cut value and calories.

Using the scooby calculator...

-Female
-155 lbs
-5 ft, 2 in
-28 years old
-3-5 hours moderate exercise - currently doing P90X 6 days a week, walk the dog at a slow pace for about 30 minutes per walk a few times a week, and while I work a desk job, I walk A LOT around our very large building (its the nature of my job).
-Lose Fat - 15% (hoping to loose 15 lbs)

This gives me...

-1311 BMR
-2033 TDEE
-1728 Cut Value (TDEE - 15%)

With all the information, my question is, when I exercise I use a HRM with chest strap (Polar FT4), and I burn between 380-550+ calories per workout (strength training + ab ripper, cardio, and a dog walk here and there)

If I eat at TDEE cut value, 1728, and burn anything over 417 calories (which is often), I will always be eating under BMR. But most people recommend eat TDEE cut value.

I would love to hear other's thoughts. I am new to this. On week 7 of P90X, have lost 5lbs so far but have stopped loosing in the last few weeks. I was eating NET 1200 calories previously per MFPs recommendation and constantly felt burnt out and tired. I obviously need to up my calories, but still want to loose weight in a healthy maintainable manner.

Replies

• sarahorange55
    Options
    I would suggest from what you are saying that your TDEE value is not high enough - looking at your activity maybe you are in the next band up?

Are you working your way UP to eating at TDEE ie doing a reset (nods you should do one!) as that will certainly help you determine your TDEE

Good luck either way!
  • sarahbella0405
    sarahbella0405 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey Sarah,

Thanks for the reply. No, I was not doing a reset cause cut value TDEE (1728 for me) was not too far off from what I usually ate. I ate NET 1200 calories before, assuming 400 calorie work outs, I was eating around 1600 a day. Do you think a reset is still a good idea? :smile:
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating at a deficit for a while, yes, a reset can be a great idea. Not only will it give your body a break from the stress of constant dieting, but it is also a way to truly figuring out your TDEE.

If you increase your calories gradually (for instance, add 100 calories a day and stay at that level for a week or so before pushing another 100 calories a day higher) until you get up near your estimated TDEE. Once you get to that point, watch the scale more carefully. Normally, the scale may bounce a round a bit when you initially increase your calories, but then should stabilize. Once you get closer to your TDEE, keep an eye out for consistent gaining without stabilizing --- that would mean that you might have, in fact, surpassed your TDEE.

Once you have found your TDEE, EM2WL recommends that you stay at that level for 8 - 12 weeks and let your body get completely accustomed to the new level if intake. Once you feel comfortable, and your weight is stable, *then* you can take a slight 15% cut and should see some positive results...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    With all the information, my question is, when I exercise I use a HRM with chest strap (Polar FT4), and I burn between 380-550+ calories per workout (strength training + ab ripper, cardio, and a dog walk here and there)

To this one concern you have.

That HRM reported burn (if as accurate as you hope) is not the calories you burned above and beyond what you would have burned even resting - it includes it all.

Also, while in a diet, you have an expected amount of calorie burn every hour already accounted for and expected, which your eating level is based on.

TDEE 2033 / 24 = 85 calories every hour you are already expected to burn.

So your 380-550 if an hour becomes - 295-465.

Additionally - HRM is going to be badly inflated for any strength training as it's an invalid activity for calorie burn.
    The HRM formula for calorie burn is only valid for steady-state aerobic exercise, same HR for 2-4 min.
    Lifting is non-steady-state and anaerobic.
    The MFP entry for Strength training is going to be more valid, even though it seems low. And again would need to remove that 85 calorie per hour too.

So if interested in calorie burn from HRM, the cardio is going to be it. The dog walking is probably too slow - haven't gotten above 90 bpm I'm betting for it to actually be aerobic exercise yet. So again inflated probably.
    If you know the distance and time, you know the pace, and MFP entry for walking and running are more accurate than HRM IF you go the speed given flat.

When you go to log your workouts, after you enter the time you'll be given the calorie estimate - subtract the 85 per hour from that figure and note it, replace the entry with 1 calorie so it doesn't change your goals when you save it.

Now you have the amount of calories burned above and beyond expected, and can do that compare to BMR level.