my plan to transition from sprint to olympic

Options
cavewoman15
cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
hi triathletes! i just completed my first sprint triathlon saturday and it was awesome! i'd like to sign up for an olympic distance in august. the sprint training was fun, but i'm ready for another challenge. this seems like a big jump to me, so i'm creating a careful training plan. for the sprint, i did the 16-week 2x balanced training program on beginnertriathlete.com - one long bike, swim, and run each week and one short bike, swim, and run each week with 10% gains on Weeks 1-3 each month and a taper week every fourth week. I actually didn't do the short bike because i commute by bike so i get plenty of time in the saddle and biking is (by far) my strongest sport. also, half way through training, i picked up a third swim workout a week.

for the olympic, i'm planning a similar program, but run-focused so i'll be running three times a week. the run was a serious struggle for me in the sprint race (i finished without walking, but it was rough), and it's my weakest sport. i am thinking a short fast run, a medium HIIT workout, and then a long steady run. then i'll swim twice a week (making sure to get some time in open water, which i have virtually no experience with) and bike as normal. i get plenty of long rides in so i'm not worried about that at all, but i will schedule a brick here and there. i'm planning to follow this program: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=33

since i'm still new to triathlon, i'm just hoping for a little feedback on my plan. does anyone see any problems with it? am i neglecting anything or overdoing it? thanks for any insight!!

Replies

• ziegman49
    ziegman49 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The biggest question is what are your goals for the Olympic? Do you just want to finish or are you looking to actually race it? If you want to just finish, the biggest thing is to work on your general fitness and being able to swim 1500 meters in open water. There are really two keys to triathlon; your ability to swim and how well you can run off the bike. You get these two things down, you can do an Olympic. Now if you want to race it, in a week you need to do (at a minimum) about 5000 yards, 70 miles biking and 15 miles running. At least one day a week needs to be a dedicated track day for running. Saturdays or Sundays should be a 1 hour bike followed by a 30 min run. Since you are looking to make the jump now, I would recommend aiming to just finish. You will learn what your limiters are during the race and can improve from there. Best of luck!!!
  • Smith_Brandy
    Smith_Brandy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cavewoman15 I think your training plan looks good. You will enjoy the new challenge of an Olympic Tri.

Ziegman49 What exactly is the difference between "just finishing" and "actually racing it"? Are the people actually racing not actually finishing? Are the finishers not racing? That doesn't even make sense.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    As I always say BT plans are solid. They will get you to the finish line of whatever race you're doing.

While I don't necessarily agree with much of what ziegman put in his post as it applies to minimum distances, track work, et al what he is referring to is the level of competition you see triathletes seeking at any given race. At most races you'll have a good amount of athletes just happy to finish no matter what the time these would fall into the category of "just finishing." There are others there who are gunning for top 10s, top 5s, and podium spots. These would be who he's referring to as "actually racing it." Probably not the best way to put it. Generally it's referred to as complete vs compete.
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    thanks for your input! i should have clarified my goals.. i'm mostly looking to finish.. i will likely have some concrete goals, but they will be personal and very modest (relatively speaking) goals like finish the run without walking, break an 11 minute mile, over 17mph on the bike, etc.

mostly, i want to focus my summer on training for something that i know will be a big physical challenge and i'd like to feel good, rather than bruised and broken, after i finish. obviously, i'll be tired and sore, but i want to feel prepared and capable on race day.. i don't want to be freaking out thinking that i can't do it and feeling like an overweight impostor in a group of elite athletes. (i race athena by the way).

thanks again! i'll definitely make sure i can do the 1500m in open water before race day and i'll in corporate some bricks into my routine. i'll schedule a brick every other week or so.
  • ziegman49
    ziegman49 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Scott did a better job of explaining what I meant by racing v. finishing. Success is defined by each person, whether it be a PR, finishing a new distance, or taking home some bling.

As far as training, I won't sit here and defend my recommendations. I let my results speak for me. I have found what works for me, so when people ask for advice, I tell them what I do. Olympic is still short enough where most people/trainers recommend at least one speed workout per week. But it isn't long enough where you need to spends hours on the bike or need to pound pavement for 30 miles. If you make the workouts a proper mix of tempo and recovery, the minimums will be sufficient to keep you toward the front. After that, you just have to dig deep to push for the win.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your accomplishments to date and your Olympic Tri goal. Olympics definitely take additional training focus especially if you are carrying more weight than some of the more svelte competitors (I am speaking from experience here). If you aren't used to open water and/or 1500m swim distances you'll definitely want to put in yardage and work up to being able to swim a continuous 1500m swim. I did a lot of 300m-500m sets. One of the big mistakes I made in my early Olympics was going out way too fast in the swim and being gassed. I would recommend starting on the outside and back of the melee, find your pace and swim strong but well within yourself. Even if you "lose" 2-3 minutes in the water (1 minute/500m) in the scheme of an Olympic distance you can easily make that up on the bike if you come out of the water feeling fresh.

Bricks are also an important training element. That was another mistake I made in my early Olypmic experience. My legs were not able to make the transition to the run and would immediately start cramping. I'd have to walk the first 400m before they would start responding properly. To minimize injury risk I personally think you can keep run mileage down and use the bike as the primary aerobic training means.

The other thing that you need to start thinking about is race day nutrition, especially making sure you are taking on adequate fluids. You're probably going to be out there 3+ hours on race day which means you will need to be making sure you are getting both fluids and electrolytes into your system especially if you are competing in a warmer race event. Finding a gel that sits well with you is also a good thing. For electrolytes I like using Nuun. On the run I also like to walk through the aid stations to make sure I am taking in fluids. If it is a warm day, by the time you get to the Run leg it will be starting to get pretty toasty so you really need to stay on top of that.

Have fun with event, you will really enjoy the experience!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Run after every bike. Even if it's just 10-15 minutes for one of them or both of them. I wouldn't add just a run in I would add a bike run in. You need to gain speed on the bike and learn how to budget that strength and speed to help you stay and be strong on the run.
    I can run marathons with no problem but get me on a bike for 30 miles fast and then run the pace I want is painful.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Truth be told there are a ton of ways to skin this cat. Find a plan and work the plan. Being that it's your first don't tinker that much. Just trust the training and go have fun race day.