Check in!

Options
odonogc
odonogc Posts: 223 Member
Hi Yogi friends!

This group has been quiet lately, and I miss talking to you guys!

My practice is going well. I've had a lot of work stuff going on, causing my neck to be super tense, so I've been more focused on opening that up than on my handstands lately.

I've also been really into heart opening practices. I feel like exude love after I do them!

I have a close friend who asked me to get him started. I bought him 2 blocks and a mat, and wrote down and also demonstrated all the poses for a morning sequence. It felt so good to share yoga with him. He has been doing it most mornings.

How is everyone else doing?

Replies

• Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to group, haven't really posted anything yet. I used to do a S. Deason yoga for weight loss DVD at home several years ago for a good run. Alas, I quit and haven't gotten much of a restart going. I'm turning 60 in less than two months and would like to get back to doing it at least a couple of times a week. I work a desk/computer job so I have neck/shoulder issues. Are there any yoga poses that you might suggest to relieve the stress I carry there? Thank you for any ideas.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i had a three hour hanumanasana workshop yesterday, and got a wonderful heart opening out of the final pose! i feel like i'm blasting love all over the place! :flowerforyou:

i attend 3-4 classes a week, and am working on establishing a consistent home practice.

namaste!
  • odonogc
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to group, haven't really posted anything yet. I used to do a S. Deason yoga for weight loss DVD at home several years ago for a good run. Alas, I quit and haven't gotten much of a restart going. I'm turning 60 in less than two months and would like to get back to doing it at least a couple of times a week. I work a desk/computer job so I have neck/shoulder issues. Are there any yoga poses that you might suggest to relieve the stress I carry there? Thank you for any ideas.

Well, I found this article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/07/yoga-desk-job_n_3707818.html

But there is a specific one I have found so helpful... I'll keep looking online.

Also, if you have 2 blocks, put one under your lower back on the middle level, and the other on the lowest level just below your shoulder blades. It feels SO good.
  • odonogc
    Options
    i had a three hour hanumanasana workshop yesterday, and got a wonderful heart opening out of the final pose! i feel like i'm blasting love all over the place! :flowerforyou:

i attend 3-4 classes a week, and am working on establishing a consistent home practice.

namaste!

Awesome! I'm a home practice girl too. I use Yogaglo.
  • Gemini61454
    Gemini61454 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link and tip. I'll try it.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've been going to a local studio for about six months-- twice a week if I can swing it. (I have a toddler and my husband works long hours, so I go when I can.) I'm also a runner, but I do a brief sequence after my running workouts. In the past, I've done various DVD workouts and the occasional gym yoga class, but I have to say, nothing compares going to a high-quality studio with a great teacher. I feel like I have made so much progress, and it's very satisfying. I also deal with a chronic issue to my left SI joint, but I find that regular practice helps a lot.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I have been doing a short home practice everyday to keep things stretched out and keep with it. I plan to slowly add to the sequence to make it a little more challenging. I have been in therapy for my back and realized I have to ramp up very slowly, so that is my plan with all forms of exercise. Not as young as I used to be!
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been doing really good. I'm up to 5 regular classes a week and some home practice on the side. I have never felt better.
  • readthat
    readthat Posts: 136
    Options
    I would go to a class every day, if only I had the time and money. Love it!
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town with no studios nearby, and I don't really know anyone in "real life" that practices. I've practiced on and off for a few years, but just started the Ultimate Yogi DVDs this week. So far it's a been a challenge, but I like the fact that it's a mixture of faster paced vinyasas and some yin classes mixed in.

I tend to hold a lot of my stress in my shoulders too, and hoping yoga helps to loosen it up. I don't know if it's the best exercise as far as for weight loss, but I'm hoping the program will help tone me up if I combine it with walking or something else on the easier days.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msRcQfQqITk&feature=youtu.be
  • yoginimary
    Options
    I've been upping my time spent on the mat, recently. I usually go to a 2 classes a week and at least one group practice (it's like a lead class for experienced students and teachers), then I practice at home at least 3 times a week. I've also been working on adding a more regular pranayama practice.

I also teach 4 classes a week and do teacher training 1-2 times per week to get ready for assessment.

I will finish my 500 hour teacher training this weekend, and I'm going up for Iyengar assessment this year and next (there are a couple very hard test you must pass to become an Iyengar yoga teacher, thus the weekly teacher training).

If that weren't enough, I decided to start my own blog about the different uses of yoga props.
  • odonogc
    Options
    Awesome job everyone!
  • odonogc
    Options
    I've been upping my time spent on the mat, recently. I usually go to a 2 classes a week and at least one group practice (it's like a lead class for experienced students and teachers), then I practice at home at least 3 times a week. I've also been working on adding a more regular pranayama practice.

I also teach 4 classes a week and do teacher training 1-2 times per week to get ready for assessment.

I will finish my 500 hour teacher training this weekend, and I'm going up for Iyengar assessment this year and next (there are a couple very hard test you must pass to become an Iyengar yoga teacher, thus the weekly teacher training).

If that weren't enough, I decided to start my own blog about the different uses of yoga props.

You inspire me Mary!
  • odonogc
    Options
    I would go to a class every day, if only I had the time and money. Love it!

If you are able to practice at home, there are a lot of great options. I use yogaglo, $18 a month.
  • yoginimary
    Options

You inspire me Mary!

:blushing:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Bumping.
    Would love to contribute but I have not been practicing much for about the past month.
    Normally, I do one class a week and practice at home two or three times a week.
    Thanks for keeping the group active!
  • Sugarkissez
    Sugarkissez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can relate and also live in a very small town with no yoga classes. There are free ones to watch on my cable and I just use those and my DVD. I am inspired to start again though from reading the posts and joining this site. :smile:
  • legalporter
    legalporter Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I went through teacher training to deepen my practice, and now I teach at my husband's chiropractic office. I thought it would be great - I'm doing yoga 3 days a week, but teaching is soooooo different than practicing. So, I get the physical yoga part done while I'm teaching and then try to practice at home with more of a mind -body-spirit approach. I teach my classes that way, but when you are teaching, it's hard to have that connection yourself. At home I love to do yin yoga, kundalini yoga and gentle yoga. At the studio we have vinyasa, beginners, all-levels and gentle.
    Namaste!
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    There is a class at the YMCA that someone on facebook told me about, but even that is a 30 minute drive for me, lol. I've done alright with my DVDs and an app on my phone. I haven't been able to stick to the 108 consecutive days of yoga, but I'm managing about every other day. I love small town life, but sometimes I wish there were some options for a class.