Dropping the last feed

Options
jls8209
jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
When my daughter turned a year old I set a new breastfeeding goal of 18 months or whenever she self weaned, which ever came first. 18 months is coming up next week, and she's self weaned so that we're only nursing before bed, although some nights she doesn't want to nurse at all, or only stays on for a moment. When she's really tired or if she's teething she tends to stay on until I cut her off because my nipples are getting sore (which doesn't take long these days, I'm 19 weeks pregnant and I suspect the sore nipples are a combo of being pregnant, and the "nursing aggravation" my midwife said would likely happen around this time).

What's the best way to drop this last feed? Just stop offering? I'm worried cold turkey might be kind of hard on her, however the fact that she doesn't nurse or barely nurses some nights makes me wonder if she'll even notice if I don't give her the option.

It's bittersweet, on one hand I'll be glad to have my boobs to myself for a couple of months, but I still enjoy nursing (for the first few minutes until my nipples hurt!) and will miss it when we stop.

Replies

• kcasey155
    kcasey155 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you know the time has come. If it's just the one feed drop it now, don't leave it any longer. I say this because your child may go through an upset/cllingy phase in a couple of weeks and it's easier to go through that now than when you get to the 'too uncomfortable and pregnant to sleep' phase. Just stop offering the milk and replace with a short story before bed or something. At this age stopping should be easy enough for both of you. Well done for bf all the way to it's natural end!
  • tinybry
    tinybry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think she will be fine cold turkey. When I wanted to stop the night time feed my husband put her to bed one night and she was fine that night so I knew she would be ok. Good luck!
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about bed time is that normally after she feeds I hand her over to DH and he reads her a story and puts her to bed, but the last 5-6 nights she's only wanted me to put her to bed. She's started teething (AGAIN! 6 teeth to go...) and has been super clingy and not wanting to go to DH at all. I think I'll wait a little bit longer until this round of teething is done, and then go cold turkey.

Thanks for the reassurance!
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    you know your baby best, if she is not ready then don't rush it. they are only small for so long and then they grow up and these are just great memories. I am also bf'ing an 18 month old and she is my last baby (#4) and I think I'm just gonna aim for 2 and see what happens. good luck Momma!
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    Oh and Luna is teething also. NO FUN!!! Boogers, runny poop, whiney baby. I feel so bad for her!
  • tinybry
    tinybry Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The funny thing about bed time is that normally after she feeds I hand her over to DH and he reads her a story and puts her to bed, but the last 5-6 nights she's only wanted me to put her to bed. She's started teething (AGAIN! 6 teeth to go...) and has been super clingy and not wanting to go to DH at all. I think I'll wait a little bit longer until this round of teething is done, and then go cold turkey.

Thanks for the reassurance!

ah poor thing, teething sucks! You do have to rely a bit on your instinct... when you are back to your normal routine you can make that call :)