Calorie allotment seems SUPER high?

Options
kleipprandt
kleipprandt Posts: 1 Member
HI everyone - I'm 24wks along in my 4th pregnancy. I signed up with MFP to track my sugar intake more than anything (I don't have GD, by the way.) I have gained 25 pounds so far, which puts me at 175lbs, up from a pre-pregnancy weight of 150 (I'm 5"7".) If this pregnancy goes the way of my others, I'll end up gaining about 10 more pounds, which I'm happy with.

However, MFP is telling me I should be taking in 2700 calories a day to maintain my current weight. Is that right??!?! Seems crazy high. I'm used to a pre-pregnancy calorie allotment of around 2000 calories to maintain. I just don't want to end up gaining excess weight b/c I'm trying to follow MFP's calorie recommendation.

Any thoughts?! Thanks!

Replies

• kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    My MFP calories to maintain were really high too. I used this instead:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

It seemed a lot more reasonable to me. :laugh:
  • saintpaulJess
    saintpaulJess Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have mine set below maintenance and my doctor has been just fine with my calorie intake and weight gain thus far.
  • roma2011
    roma2011 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't aim to hit the allotment, it really is super high. Eat if you're hungry and see how you are tracking. I find it difficult to eat that much anyway, just not enough room in my tummy anymore! If you make reasonably good food choices there's no way you would come close to 2700.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Hmm, MFP tells me around 2000 to maintain. But I'm only 5'2". Then I eat an extra 200 a day for BFing and eat back exercise calories, so it gets pretty high. I almost never eat that though, usually 200-400 short of that each day and my weight has been stable for the past couple weeks. I mostly am just eating when I'm hungry, not trying to meet the calories if it means eating when I'm not hungry.
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I second this... http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

I set it to "sedentary" for maintenance calories and then just eat back exercise calories on the days I do exercise.
    I like this because its based on your pre-pregnancy weight. Other calculators are based on current pregnancy weight which isn't that accurate becuase its not body fat you are carrying but fluids and baby so better to base on pre-pregnancy weight.

Thanks!:happy:
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
  • AGIBBS80
    AGIBBS80 Posts: 24
    Options
    i have heard people suggest to changing your weight back to your pre-pregnancy weight then selecting goal of gaining .5 to 1 pound a week.
  • AGIBBS80
    Options
    I second this... http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm

I set it to "sedentary" for maintenance calories and then just eat back exercise calories on the days I do exercise.
    I like this because its based on your pre-pregnancy weight. Other calculators are based on current pregnancy weight which isn't that accurate becuase its not body fat you are carrying but fluids and baby so better to base on pre-pregnancy weight.

Thanks!:happy:
  • SLL0622
    SLL0622 Posts: 5
    Options
    I used my pre-pregnancy weight for MFP, used sedentary for both, and got the same recommended calories for both the website (thanks for that!!) and MFP.
  • AGIBBS80
    Options
    just cuious, you are doing maint. only? how far along are you?