Indie Games

Options
muckfoot
muckfoot Posts: 21 Member
Due to the fact that I can't afford to buy several AAA release games and that my laptop can't run them, I've recently started buying the smalle "indie" games like Hotline Miami, Spelunky and Banished.

Anyone play anything similar, or looking forward to any future releases? Hotline Miami 2's getting a sequel that looks awesome, also I'd recommend people checking out Darkest Dungeon too and that looks like it is gonna be great.

Replies

• daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Darkest Dungeon looks very innovative and I really dig the art direction. The only indie game I've played is Torchlight II which is amazing and way better than Diablo III, especially with all the mods that have been created.
  • MattyFTM
    MattyFTM Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Recently I've been into a few roguelikes such as Spelunky and FTL. Been playing Starbound a little, too, although I'm trying not to play too much of that until it's fully released. Same with Kerbal Space Program, which is also great.

Indie games are outclassing AAA games so often these days. I mean, my favourite game of 2013 was The Stanley Parable, which was an absolutely amazing experience. I wasn't even going to play it originally, but the demo totally sold me on it and it was an exceptional game.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Puzzles and Dragons for me.
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Please tell me you take advantage of the humble bundles (and others like it). You can get a huge amount of great indies for almost nothing. Also, gog.com is littered with gems :)
  • MattyFTM
    Options
    Yeah, the Humble Bundles are a bargain, but I usually own nearly all of the games in them already. I normally buy them anyway for the soundtracks and maybe the one or two games in the bundle that I don't already own.
  • muckfoot
    Options
    I got Spelunky through a Humble Bundle, I'm always on the site checking to see what's available next!

I recently picked up Prison Architect on sale at Steam - it's an early access game so it's totally not finished but I've wanted to try it for ages now.

The Stanely Parable looks realy, really interesting so I wanna get on that soon, also at some point I need to go back onto Papers, Please and get that completed.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The best "Indie" game I've ever played was To the Moon. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, as it is kind of emotional and no spoken dialogue.

But man the Feels. Oh my. Didn't make this guy cry but wow. Pretty damn close.
  • muckfoot
    Options
    I've heard good things about To The Moon, is it considered as an "arty" game as well as indie? I might give that a shot as well.

Other ones that have just sprung to mind are Nuclear Throne (another rogue-like), Gods Will Be Watching and Luftrausers.

So many games!
  • RINat612
    Options
    "Arty" would be an understatement. It is very cinematic and story driven with minimal "playing". More like an interactive story.

Some would say its old fashioned graphics and structure limits it, but I feel its unique format (in this day and age) enables the player/viewer to get more of the impact behind the story since there is no "sensory overload". This doesn't work all the time. Take Journey for example (Which is another "Indie-ish" game that is amazing), the audible sensory overload was critical as it made the emotional connection with the player. Austin Wintory made that game stunning.

To the Moon quite eloquently stays unassuming and leaves you void of impact until the story slowly hooks you as you play and then friggen gut punches you in the end. To be honest the only similar experiences I've ever gotten were from perhaps Journey and from books.
  • MattyFTM
    Options
    I recently picked up Prison Architect on sale at Steam - it's an early access game so it's totally not finished but I've wanted to try it for ages now.

I bought Prison Architect a while ago. Really loved the tutorial mission with the execution. It was really dark and powerful. I wasn't expecting anything like that from the game. It blew me away. Really looking forward to more stuff like that when the game is finished. I don't think the gameplay is quite there yet (or at least it wasn't when I played it - I think it was around Alpha 11 or 12) but it has so much potential.
    The best "Indie" game I've ever played was To the Moon. Probably not everyone's cup of tea, as it is kind of emotional and no spoken dialogue.

But man the Feels. Oh my. Didn't make this guy cry but wow. Pretty damn close.

I keep meaning to play To the Moon. I've heard so many great things about it, but I've just not got around to playing it. I really like that games are exploring emotions a lot more now - I loved The Walking Dead, it was a fantastic emotional rollercoaster. Brothers: A Tale Of Two Sons is another game that I haven't yet played that is supposed to have a really emotional storyline.
  • muckfoot
    Options

I bought Prison Architect a while ago. Really loved the tutorial mission with the execution. It was really dark and powerful. I wasn't expecting anything like that from the game. It blew me away. Really looking forward to more stuff like that when the game is finished. I don't think the gameplay is quite there yet (or at least it wasn't when I played it - I think it was around Alpha 11 or 12) but it has so much potential.

I've resisted buying it for a while as I knew it was still in Alpha, but when I saw it was on the cheap I went for it - like you said the tutorial mission was even a little thought provoking regarding the death penalty, very adult and dark considering that the games graphics gives everything a cartoon edge.

Has anyone played The Castle Doctrine? I've really been interested in trying it ut but I'm worried the online player list may have been reduced to only people who are god-like on it?
  • RINat612
    Options
    Brothers: I got this on steam and just couldn't get into it. It always came across to me as a puzzle solving game first and foremost with a very different unintuitive (for me at least) control system. Thinking back I can't remember if I knew there was supposed to be a good story along with it. I don't know, I just can't see myself getting past the controls. I guess I'm not being fair.

The Walking Dead: My brother loves these episodic games. Honestly I couldn't justify the cost for something that really is an interactive movie and one that is so readily available on Youtube. And I might add, viewing on Youtube doesn't detract from the experience.

Prison Architect: Just watched a trailer for it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPT9jUrQWrg), looks interesting.

The Castle Doctrine: Just like Prison Architect, this looks pretty cool.

I'll have to check these two out.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Pier Solar... anyone heard of that game? If so, any idea of it's release? It was supposed to be March 25th, then it got delayed so it could be put on as many systems as possible.
  • evilstarburst
    evilstarburst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    To the moon, limbo, hhhh so many good ones drawing a blank oh mine craft fun to play to pass time.
  • MattyFTM
    Options
    Just started playing Luftrausers. I'm not normally a fan of Shmups, but I got a coupon for it on Steam, so I thought I'd give it a go. Loving it so far. The plane movement is fantastic, and the customisation seems really great too.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    To The Moon - I agree with the other comments. Great soundtrack, too.

The Cat Lady - quite a different sort of protagonist than what I'm used to: you play as a depressed woman in her 40s. It's quite adult in theme (just to warn you). It was similar to To The Moon in that I felt emotionally involved in the story, but it had a very different look and feel.

Cook, Serve, Delicious - a completely different sort of game, but very fun and addictive!
  • muckfoot
    Options
    To The Moon - I agree with the other comments. Great soundtrack, too.

The Cat Lady - quite a different sort of protagonist than what I'm used to: you play as a depressed woman in her 40s. It's quite adult in theme (just to warn you). It was similar to To The Moon in that I felt emotionally involved in the story, but it had a very different look and feel.

Cook, Serve, Delicious - a completely different sort of game, but very fun and addictive!

I've never heard of the last two but The Cat Lady sounds intriging...

What type of game is Cook, Serve, Delicious?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Cook, Serve, Delicious is described as a "hardcore restaurant sim". I thought it was a bit like casual games such as Cake Mania, but I found it much more enjoyable than those, especially once I'd sorted out the key bindings to my liking. I bought it in a Steam sale. There's a demo on the website http://www.vertigogaming.net/blog/?portfolio=cook-serve-delicious .

Dear Esther is another story-type game that I liked: very atmospheric and memorable, but I have mixed feelings about it. Gone Home was similar in a way, but but I felt it was overpriced (even though I'd bought it in a sale). I'd probably get The Cat Lady (http://www.thecatlady.co.uk/ ) over those two, but I think it probably comes down to personal preference over whether you like the story and the way it's told. None of them have much gameplay as such.
  • RINat612
    Options
    I read terrible reviews for Gone Home. And yeah it seemed pricey...
  • alaskamatteson
    alaskamatteson Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Personally, I LOVED The Cat Lady.