May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Options

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    My first workout of may:
    Squats 5x5 145 lbs. i'm not getting down as far at this higher weight, is that okay?

You're hitting parallel?
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I''m taking this week off -- I did a deload on Monday, but my back started hurting again on Tuesday. That's good enough for me to say, "Week off!"

By next Monday I will be jonesing to get into the gym.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Today was a run day. After a couple not so great runs last week and early this week I was kind of dreading moving to week 8 of C25K, but in the end had a great run. Quite happy about that.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    on a somewhat related note, do we get a May goal thread too?

Done and stickied. I think Lydia has been busy lately so I can pick up the new month tasks for her.....let me know if I missed anything.

Thank ya very much!

@krokador I just want a place to discuss eating goals I never meet....ONE day I'll get it. I've got the mindset, just need the will power :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Today was workout A for me :
    Squat:
    Warmup 45x5,65x5,85x5
    Set: 100x5x5
    OHP
    :warmup: 35x5,50x5
    Set: 60x5x5
    deadlift: 145x5

Extras: assisted dip 3x8 with 90 lb assistance,
    Knee ups: 4x12
    This was an excellent workout. I progressed on everything, and felt strong, I am going to increase the weight on everything next time.

It was morning workout , and last time I had such a great workout was Saturday during the day.
    I try to workout Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8-9 pm after the kids are in bed, but I am exhausted by Friday, and I either don't go or go but fail on one or multiple sets. Last week I skipped Friday, and workout on Saturday afternoon and it was amazing workout. Each time I miss my regular workout ( scheduled 1 day rest) I have great workout after. I also end up working out earlier in the day as well though.

I wondering what is your ladies experience with the rest time? Is it possible that I need 2 rest days?
    If I had 2 rest days between each workout , that actually would mean only 7 workout in 3 weeks. That might be too few?
    I also read the thread about heavy squatting is so tiring, and maybe I just need to cut back on squats?
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    My first workout of may:
    Squats 5x5 145 lbs. i'm not getting down as far at this higher weight, is that okay?

You're hitting parallel?

Honestly no clue. I hope to lift saturday with my husband to check form.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    @saranharm - I'm at the same squat weight as you are and also noticed I'm not getting down as far as I'd like to (I'm at parallel for the first few sets, then I tire out and hit just above parallel), so I'm sticking with 145lbs until I can consistently hit parallel or just below.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Tai that gif is disturbing no matter how many times I open this page. Ugh.

Nice lifting ladies!
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Last night we did some more touch sparring in class. Got my face smacked pretty good by this one guy, knocked a contact lens out.....again, and I'm just a little darker around the eyes today. :grumble: :laugh: I really have to get better at protecting against punches coming from my left. But once again, was dripping sweat off by the end. I may, however, learn to just take my contacts out before classes that I know we are going to be touch sparring in, but I will probably still lose a few more before it sinks in. At least now I carry a spare set and solution with me.
    Brave soul...I always took out my lens when I sparred. IT doesn't hurt as much if you can't see them coming. :wink:
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Workout B for me...upped my weight on deadlift but not OHP. My wrist is still "tweeky." So...
    OHP 2x5x45, 3x8x45
    Squat 2x5x55, 3x8x55
    deadlift 2x5x55, 3x8x55
    My first and last sets were short sets and concentrated on breath, timing and form. Also ran intervals for a mile: 200s, 100s and 50s.
    I have a headache and sore throat...kids just got over strep and I'm hoping that it's not that...please...
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Pretty bad workout. May Day celebrations involved hiking, biking and beer. Lots of fun indeed, but waking up was a nightmare. Nevermind, it's Friday!

Squat 65kg 5x5
    Overhead press 32.5kg 5,5,4,4,3
    Deadlift 65kg 1x3

Upright rows 20kg oly bar 1x8 then 22.5kg 2x8 (easy)
    Lat raise 5kg dumbbells 2x8 then 6kg 1x8 (hard)
    Single-arm dumbbell bent-over row 10kg 3x8 (ok)
    Plank 3x40
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Last night we did some more touch sparring in class. Got my face smacked pretty good by this one guy, knocked a contact lens out.....again, and I'm just a little darker around the eyes today. :grumble: :laugh: I really have to get better at protecting against punches coming from my left. But once again, was dripping sweat off by the end. I may, however, learn to just take my contacts out before classes that I know we are going to be touch sparring in, but I will probably still lose a few more before it sinks in. At least now I carry a spare set and solution with me.
    Brave soul...I always took out my lens when I sparred. IT doesn't hurt as much if you can't see them coming. :wink:

I think half my problem is that I already don't see them coming and get caught with a glove in my face....contacts in or not :laugh: :laugh:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Skipped Wed. workout for work, so B this morning

Squats: 120lbs 3x5
    OHP: 57lbs 3x5 - Tried to focus on keeping core and glutes tight. Man thats hard to do.
    Deads: 150lbs 1x5.

Since I go to the gym at the university where I work at, the gym was nice and empty this morning thanks to it being in the middle of finals.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    @saranharm - I'm at the same squat weight as you are and also noticed I'm not getting down as far as I'd like to (I'm at parallel for the first few sets, then I tire out and hit just above parallel), so I'm sticking with 145lbs until I can consistently hit parallel or just below.

I may need to do this!!

Also, question. My lower back is sore after deadlifts yesterday- does that mean my form was wrong? I have only been sore like this once i got to heavy weights but hadn't found the jack and i did hurt my back moving the weights on & off.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Also, question. My lower back is sore after deadlifts yesterday- does that mean my form was wrong? I have only been sore like this once i got to heavy weights but hadn't found the jack and i did hurt my back moving the weights on & off.

This might be normal because the deadlift works the erector spinae which is your lower back muscles. Soreness not acute pain is normal in this area.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My first May workout was this morning, Workout B.

Squats 120 5x5
    OHP 45 5x5 (had to deload from 55, after 3 fails :grumble: )
    Dead 135 1x5 (first time using the 45 lb weights! yay!)

I'll be taking a short break next week, but will be back on Workout A next Friday.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    My first May workout was this morning, Workout B.

Squats 120 5x5
    OHP 45 5x5 (had to deload from 55, after 3 fails :grumble: )
    Dead 135 1x5 (first time using the 45 lb weights! yay!)

I'll be taking a short break next week, but will be back on Workout A next Friday.

Awesome on the big plates for Deadlift!

u8awa.gif
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! :drinker: So happy I found this group! Lots of useful information here :love:

I haven't lifted weights in years. I was feeling a bit lost but someone mentioned Stronglifts 5x5 and here I am.

I still have to watch the videos and learn the proper form.

Do you girls go to a gym or do you have the equipment at home?

What other workouts do you do for weight loss?
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    Woohoo! :drinker: So happy I found this group! Lots of useful information here :love:

I haven't lifted weights in years. I was feeling a bit lost but someone mentioned Stronglifts 5x5 and here I am.

I still have to watch the videos and learn the proper form.

Do you girls go to a gym or do you have the equipment at home?

What other workouts do you do for weight loss?

Hi and welcome!

It had been years for me as well. I just do strong lifts at a gym and then run 1 mile afterwards.
  • jerilynconn
    Options

This might be normal because the deadlift works the erector spinae which is your lower back muscles. Soreness not acute pain is normal in this area.

Okay thanks!