Hypothyroid Hasmimotos

Options
LadyBoss_1989
LadyBoss_1989 Posts: 121 Member
I have hypothyroid hashimotos. I been taking .75 levothyroxine off and on since i was about 13 or 14 years old.
Every time I get my levels checked, there always normal. Though, I still experience symptoms, such as bad brain fog, hair easily falls out, tired all the time/no motivation and hungry all the time. In January I started calorie counting and eating better.
Previous to that, I was eating fast food all the time with no veggies/vitamins, for at least over 10 years.
ive seen good changes in weight loss, but still have a preggo belly that i can't get rid of.
I have no apparent food allergies, but ive heard with anyone with hypo/hashimotos, its best to go gluten free?
is this true? and must I go Soy free as well?

Replies

• Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tried it. It didn't work for me.. After speaking to my Dr I realise we just have to accept that weight loss for us is very nearly impossible & any little loss is a milestone. The main thing is not to put on any more.

I stopped watching my calories for about 12 months, decided to take another Drs advice, became seriously ill due to incorrect meds was the worst thing I have ever done. The serious heart palpitations etc nearly killed me & I gained 10kgs.

Just be very careful who & where your advice comes from.
    I learnt the hard way, many doctors cannot be trusted at all.
    I'm back on track now thanks to my original doctor but 10 kgs heavier & with lots more health issues.

Just hang in there & exercise, you may not lose weight but you will firm up eventually, pilates is a good gentle exercise for your core & tummy.
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Morgaine_on_the_move Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've had Hashi's for about that long, too. I lose weight and feel good on the correct dose. I do not feel you just have to "accept things." If you don't already, see an endocrinologist instead of a GP. If you already see an endo, tell them to adjust your meds. There is a lot of wiggle room with the "normal" range. If yours doesn't listen, find one that will. You can try GF--who knows, might make a difference. Might not. I'd definitely exercise at an intense level and add some strength training. That will definitely help.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Please take a look at your national support site or "stop the thyroid madness" site. There is great debate as to how the numbers are or often are not interpreted along with the current tendency to only treat to numbers not the reduction in symptoms. I have found the sites very interesting
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Most people have luck going gluten free or paleo. Not all. I felt worse with gluten free.

What I did was switch from levo to Armour. I'm still working on finding the right dose for me. And I LIMIT gluten and dairy. I didn't cut either out completely. I just watch how much. I am starting to feel a lot better with these changes.

Hashi is hard because every single one of us is different. What works for one person won't work for you, won't work for me. It's trial and error and gotta find what works for you!

:bigsmile:
  • Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yep i agree you have to find what works for you, I have found it is a very individual thing, I'm not gluten free & I still eat dairy, but I stay away from all soy products & many foods that are not recommended for Hashi's.

For me Armour works much better that other meds.

I found the article at www.baumancollege.org Hashimotos Autoimmune Thyroiditis: Eating for Health Applications for Recovery an interesting & informative read.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Why do you take your meds "on and off"? 75 mcg is a fairly high dosis, does your doc take you off your meds?

As to your other questions ( I have Hashi's ):
    * I am not GF, but I try to limit gluten by choosing gf-grains more often
    * I am not dairy - free, but I often choose grain / nut "milks" instead of cow milk
    * I seem to be doing better as far as brain fog is concerned if I make at least 1 hour break between my meds and my breakfast
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, OP.

I was dx with Hashi's at age 11. I'm about to turn 32. My dose has gone from .25 about 20 years ago to .125 right now. You can see the damage that has been done over the years. I'm currently playing around with doses as I was at .112 and had labwork come back that was horrible. I'll get a serum test in a month to see if .125 will do it for me. I've always been symptomatic. The best I've ever felt was when I was pregnant.
  • MVH26
    MVH26 Posts: 13
    Options
    Just because your levels are always normal, you are still experience symptoms, such as bad brain fog, hair easily falls out, tired all the time ----YOUR MEDS ARE NOT WORKING. You are not 'normal'. Please go see someone for a second opinion. Just because the labs say "everything is OK" your body is saying "NOPE, nope we arent!!"

Please seek another opinion, please go to http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ and read, maybe even see one of the doctors on their list.

I was the same way you were. My endo kept saying I was normal, but my hair kept falling out, it was thin, and I would just fall asleep uncontrollably. I went to my doctor and said: "Hey listen, I've been working out more than ever in my entire life - why am I the heaviest I've ever been??"

Her reply: "Weight has nothing to do with it." It was her saying that, that made me look into another doctor. The doctor I have now, he has said straight to my face: If your still having symptoms, then the problem isn't fixed.

I'm not saying its the magical key, to fix everything (Please!! LOL Its been six months since I've started with this new doctor -- I've lost a little weight, but not much why? because I have a serious Eating Problem.) However, I am also starting Paleo (ish) and would love to go along and cheer for you. Some people go 20/80 in eating (using dairy as a condiment not a food group) And honestly if you are just starting, eat as much low/now carb as you can. Dont sweat the small stuff , like Chipotle uses Soy Oil -- its okay! Just as long as you are starting eating in a better direction its a good start - low/no carb IS HARD - you will need to give yourself some detox room. Its an ADDICTING food just like sugar and fat.

Learn the difference between healthy fat and unhealthy fat (ie: Avocados instead of Mayo in that chicken salad. um - YUM!)
    Learn that the plate that the Nutritional people have out -- is crap -- Fill half that plate with veggies! Fill more then 2/3 with meat, and the rest with either a healthy fat or some fruit

The thing abou Hypo/Hashi -- you have to find what works for YOU, whether that be in medication or in diet. Because EVERYONE is DIFFERENT! (its what makes us beautiful!)

Good luck and feel free to friend if you want someone else who is going through the same battle with Hashi & Paleo/no Carb eating. Im just starting (again) too!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid hashimotos. I been taking .75 levothyroxine off and on since i was about 13 or 14 years old.
    Every time I get my levels checked, there always normal. Though, I still experience symptoms, such as bad brain fog, hair easily falls out, tired all the time/no motivation and hungry all the time.

In January I started calorie counting and eating better.
    Previous to that, I was eating fast food all the time with no veggies/vitamins, for at least over 10 years.
    ive seen good changes in weight loss, but still have a preggo belly that i can't get rid of.

I have no apparent food allergies, but ive heard with anyone with hypo/hashimotos, its best to go gluten free?
    is this true? and must I go Soy free as well?
    I have Hashi's and take Synthroid & Cytomel. Per my endocrinologist, I do not avoid any foods, nor eat any special ones. I lost weight just like everybody else—by logging everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Ask your doctor to test your T3 level, and if it's low ask for a Cytomel prescription. Synthroid is T4, and your body should be able to convert T4 to T3. But not every body can.