Metformin causing loss of appetite?

Options
kamaperry
kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
Hi, I am on Metformin 500 mg, twice a day. I seem to have lost alot of my appetite. Not that that is a bad thing, since I am trying to lose. But I want to make sure to eat enough. Is this normal?

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Some people find that Metformin does decrease their appetite, and that can help with weight loss. Others may have nausea that makes them not want to eat. You're right to continue to eat balanced meals at regular times, just in smaller portions. Bring this up with your doctor the next time you see her as well. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Some people find that Metformin does decrease their appetite, and that can help with weight loss. Others may have nausea that makes them not want to eat. You're right to continue to eat balanced meals at regular times, just in smaller portions. Bring this up with your doctor the next time you see her as well. ~Lynn /Glucerna
    Thanks, I'm not nauseated, I just am satisfied with alot less, and no desire to eat more. I'm supposed to talk to my dr today or tomorrow, so I will tell him, I have a list for him.
    I really don't mind eating less though as long as it is healthy, I need to lose the weight. :) Thankyou!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Let us know what your doctor recommends. It's great that you have a list of things to discuss with him and are making changes to manage diabetes. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    I will :)
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Let us know what your doctor recommends. It's great that you have a list of things to discuss with him and are making changes to manage diabetes. ~Lynn /Glucerna

He prescribed Glimeperide, once a day
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Did he add the Glimeperide to the metformin? These medications work differently, and you can find out more information about Glimeperide here: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a696016.html ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Me too! I told my doctor and he said nobody had ever said that? I had to remind myself to eat, and trust me, that had NEVER happened before.
    He switched me to Janumet, and it's not as noticeable sadly. But the way I'm going, hopefully I won't be on anything next year.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Lynne, yes, glimeperide with the Metformin, doesn't seem to help much.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Also, do you know how long it takes to work? I'm really watching my diet, and it was still 180 this morning.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I know you really want your blood sugar levels to come down, and I give you a lot of credit for working hard to make changes to your food choices and stay in touch with your physician. Usually your doctor starts with a low dosage of medication and gradually increases it if necessary - plus this gives you time to keep making changes in food choices and exercise. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    I know you really want your blood sugar levels to come down, and I give you a lot of credit for working hard to make changes to your food choices and stay in touch with your physician. Usually your doctor starts with a low dosage of medication and gradually increases it if necessary - plus this gives you time to keep making changes in food choices and exercise. ~Lynn /Glucerna
    Thanks, and I did get in touch with my dr today. He said pretty much the same, that it takes a bit for the blood sugar to come down after being high. He told me that if it isn't better in 2-4 weeks to let him know. I feel relieved.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It definitely reduces my appetite and that's been a great thing! I can tell if I forget to take my meds, as I'll start sneezing (allergies) and get the munchies.

I've found that for me, diet changes alone are ok but combining that with daily exercise has really made a huge difference in both my sugars and weight loss.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    It definitely reduces my appetite and that's been a great thing! I can tell if I forget to take my meds, as I'll start sneezing (allergies) and get the munchies.

I've found that for me, diet changes alone are ok but combining that with daily exercise has really made a huge difference in both my sugars and weight loss.
    Exercise helps me immensely!
  • truckerbabe67
    Options
    Ive been on metformin for years and years.... and i never noticed it keep me from getting hungry? i WISH! lol
    but i guess thats good if it is for you?? might want to check with your dr. just in case to be on safe side?
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed the metformin decreasing my appetite. But I do notice that exercise does. It also seems to help keep my sugars down.

I think exercise has been the biggest difference between this weight loss and previous attempts.
  • kamaperry
    Options
    I do get hungry, just takes a while, but I do forget to snack. And yes, this is since being on Metformin, it's weird.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I do get hungry, just takes a while, but I do forget to snack. And yes, this is since being on Metformin, it's weird.

I agree, and I go from 0-STARVINGISWEARTOGODI'LLEATYOURFACE!

I had to set an alarm on my phone to eat something so I don't get the wild swings that cause all the problems.
  • kamaperry
    Options

I agree, and I go from 0-STARVINGISWEARTOGODI'LLEATYOURFACE!

I had to set an alarm on my phone to eat something so I don't get the wild swings that cause all the problems.
    Exactly. I need to do that :)
  • GlucernaBrand
    GlucernaBrand Posts: 486
    Options
    Metformin often causes decreased appetite, where people feel full faster. What a great idea to set a reminder to eat on your phone! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • kamaperry
    Options
    Metformin often causes decreased appetite, where people feel full faster. What a great idea to set a reminder to eat on your phone! ~Lynn /Glucerna
    I agree!