Intermittent fasting

Options
kristafb
kristafb Posts: 770 Member
Who in the group is doing IF? I've been considering trying it. I think it would work for me. I'm not a breakfast person and love eating large meals instead of a bunch of little meals.

For those that do it I have a few questions.

If i plan to eat for a 7 or 8 hour period for the other fasting hours can I drink anything other than water?

Can I have a Bulletproof coffee when I get up but not start my eating period for a few hours after that or does the BPC have to fall into the eating hours?

Do I still eat the same number of calories that I have been eating normally or do you cut it down?

And lastly, if I work out (mainly doing cardio at this time) is it best to do it during the eating period or the fasting period??

Thanks for your help all!

Replies

• debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Krista, I've done IF.

1) I would fast 24 hours from Sunday morning to Monday morning once a week, when I did this last year. I would drink water, coffee or tea ONLY. If you only plan to fast 7 or 8 hours, you should only still drink water, coffee, or tea.

2) You could have your Bulletproof Coffee, then you can start your fast.

3) After my 24 fast, I would go back to my 1200 calories...thus decreasing my whole WEEK by 1200 calories. I lost weight.

4) You are in Keto now, so you can exercise no problem (imho)...I would.

Good Luck :)
  • kristafb
    Options
    Thanks for the info Deb. I personally could never do 24 hours. I'd be a grumpy bear!! lol

I was thinking I'd do somethng more like start eating around 12 or 1pm & stop around 7 or 8 pm. I really like having a BPC when I get up which would be long before 12 so I'm not sure if that will work after all.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Krista,

Since you are seeing a loss on the scale after a stall imho I would not IF at this point. You are seeing results with your current plan, don't mess with it until you do not see results.

I have IF, my last meal was 8pm and my first meal was at noon, that would be about a 17 hr fast. I did give up the BPC in the morning when I did IF. Your BPC will not be fasting as it has nutritional values i.e calories. You will eat the same number of cals, however you might find it hard to eat your daily allowance in a short time frame i.e 7 hrs.

You can drink non caloric liquids during your IF.
  • kristafb
    Options
    LatinaGordita you are probably right and I am going to stay the course for a while. I am just looking down the line if I stall again. I can't give up my BPC!!!

Right now I'm just thrilled to have seen a loss the last 2 days.
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    How would BPC still be fasting? It has fat in it just as if it were solid food. Mine is about 220 calories. As I understand it fasting is not taking in calories, otherwise one could just blend up a bunch of food into liquid and consider it fasting.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you want to do this, you need to decide where your fasting window begins. It's easiest if you include your night's sleep in the fasting window and skip breakfast. You won't be awake for the majority of the fasting, and it makes it easier. Hours after dinner, hours sleeping, and then the hours from when you wake up and when you break your fast with lunch.

Fasting - you cannot exceed 10 calories per hour. This means you can have coffee, water, tea, etc, but nothing with significant calories. I know plenty of people that allow themselves sticks of sugar-free gum.

This means that a BPC in the morning followed by skipping lunch does not count as IF.
  • bnybanker
    bnybanker Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have to say that, while I loved the idea and the theory of "IF" it really hasn't helped me in terms of weight loss. It may have even hindered it (and I welcome feedback on this). Usually I do about a 16 hour "fast"-from dinner time, into late morning the next day, with occasionally longer fasts ranging from 18-22 hours. I'm not hungry because of my low carb approach, but it hasn't really sped up weight loss. I feel that anything "liquid" such as water or coffee, doesn't realy break the fast. Bullet proof coffee- due to high fat content, really breaks the fast, but who cares at that point. It is still low calerie enough to get by on and extend the solid food fast. That may be rationalization, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't do IF, I do always skip breakfast and not eat late. The only thing I have in the am is coffee, be it BPC or my regular. I tend to eat a LOT more if I eat early in the morning. Also, eating right after waking, makes me nauseous. Always has. It is something that works better for me, as, like I said, I consume WAY more in a day if I start eating early. You have to find what works for you :)
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I fast and I eat keto. I do keto to control an ideopathic neurological pain disorder (totally off brand, but there's a LOT of research that suggests that keto will work for various neurologic disorders if you are simply willing to eat this way). I fast to lose weight - however, the fasting will put me into a deep keto really fast if I've gone off and eaten carbs (mmmm. . .donuts), which is good for pain management, and being in keto definitely helps me with weight management, so the two actions are very complementary for me. It's really not that hard to do both, except that you will get funny cravings while you're fasting that aren't good for being in ketosis!

The main thing to think through if you fast for longer than 18 hours or so is whether or not you can ignore hunger. I've learned that simply telling myself that I am experiencing a physical symptom of fasting and that it is perfectly okay to be hungry for a while, just like our ancestors did, is enough for me to push through, but it isn't for some people.

Also, I am too much in love with good food (mmm. . .rare steak with butter melting on top) to ever go there, but I do now understand how some can become anorexic. I get a serious rush of power at being able to avoid eating and seeing a real change in my body in a short amount of time - I can totally get how this could be really, really addicting in the right set of circumstances.
  • rauljg42
    rauljg42 Posts: 30
    Options
    I did IF prior to doing keto. Havent combined the two because each worked well on its own merits. I like my breakfast so I prefer keto (cyclical) now as its just easier for me. . Was able to lose and/or maintain weight and energy levels just fine on both. I would probably combine the too if I needed to lose a lot of weight but Im in maintenance stage so dont see it as necessary.
  • kristafb
    Options
    Thanks for the replies and info, its really helpful. I had toyed with the idea of IF for the last week or so but I'm discovering that when I don't eat for extended periods of time I'm having symptoms of low sugar, not severe or anything but just not feeling too spiffy, so eating nothing at all for extended periods is apparently not for me. I am trying to keep my higher calorie meals to earlier in the day and not eating in the evening like I used to so perhaps I'll see some of the benefits, even if IF for 10-14 hours.