Fitness help

Options
(BG INFO)I started low carb (grain free life style) with the intentions of losing 54 pounds. The weight flew off in the beginning and then I read about Ketosis and have aimed for it. After a month long stall I am losing again. I realized the reason for my stall for too much protein(it only took four weeks to figure out). I also realized cardio wasn't doing anything for me and I need move to weight lifting.

Questions: what do you pros recommend for a weight lifting beginner like myself? Can I do circuit training at the YMCA and tone up that way? How long (as in mins/hours) do I need to lift weights per session? Do I need to up protein on lifting days? I'm clueless!

Please help!

Replies

• Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Check out the book 'lift like a man, look like a goddess'. best book i've found for weight training for women. just remember u will probably be hungrier as u start lifting. Others doing this longer may have advice on whether upping your fat to compensate will help with post workout hinger. If you're keto-adapted theoretically you shouldn't have to increase your protein since your body should be producing the necessary hormones and enzymes for you to burn fat for fuel...but maybe others have personal experience to share. Good luck! Looks like you've been doing well so far.
  • tipichni
    tipichni Posts: 7
    Options
    Or new rules for women book. That was pretty good. I really enjoy fitnessblender videos though from youtube. They have some great weight lifting ones
  • dmclva
    dmclva Posts: 9
    Options
    Kudos to you for recognizing weight lifting is important! If you've not done this before, I would recommend spending a bit for a trainer to walk you through exercises, machines, etc. to ensure you're using good form and provide info on reps/sets, how to advance with increased weight, etc. Good luck to you!
  • rauljg42
    rauljg42 Posts: 30
    Options
    I would recommend weight lifting (resistance training) for anyone wanting to lose weight. Find a sensible plan for beginners and build your way up.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/cardio-vs-weight-training

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/weight-exercises-women

Burn more fat not just more calories. Good luck!
  • southernchiclet
    southernchiclet Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This month's SELF mag has a great routine that uses 3lb weights. I use a personal trainer and have done all of these with heavier weights. Go at your own pace but challenge yourself when its gets too easy. Correct form is essential. I LOVE weight training versus cardio!!! She still has me do a little of that, however, I think my stronger muscles has helped me to get through it! Good Luck! :happy: