Ab Workouts During Bulking

Options
2»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lol- they are nice because they are easily adaptable- you can leave the legs- and lift only upper back with arms- or no arms

you can lift lower back no upper

you can lift both no arms- or both add arms- it's a nice adjustable thing you can do anywhere you have floor space :)

also- with the leg lift don't squeeze your *kitten*- low back- but no glutes- or minimize the glute lift.
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I hate working abs, too...I'm trying to incorporate more, but to be honest, I don't have the drive I need to seriously do them on a regular basis. I love compound lifts, and I do feel my abs when I do them correctly. I've got a question for those of you who are familiar with bulking; this is my first, so I've got the "paranoid I'm getting fat" syndrome happening. I'm getting a little fluffy, especially around my abs. However, I've been doing weighted bulgarian twists, and weighted hip ups when I DO have the urge to do abs, and I do believe I'm building muscle there. My waist measures the same, and I do see muscle popping through the fat, but do I continue to do weighted abs so that when I cut the muscle will be there, or should I lay off? What have you done?
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Lol, give barbell Hypers a try. Far from dull and far from feeling like they're not doing anything.
    Good Mornings-While many use for hamstrings, they are a lower back dominant move.
    Reverse Hypers can easily be done with just a bench.

How do you do barbell hypers? Never heard of them, and a youtube search just brings up ones with a reverse hyper machine.

Admit I love good mornings, had forgotten all about them. :smile:
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options

Lol, give barbell Hypers a try. Far from dull and far from feeling like they're not doing anything.
    Good Mornings-While many use for hamstrings, they are a lower back dominant move.
    Reverse Hypers can easily be done with just a bench.

How do you do barbell hypers? Never heard of them, and a youtube search just brings up ones with a reverse hyper machine.

Admit I love good mornings, had forgotten all about them. :smile:

Grab a preloaded barbell or a shorter barbell and add weight and hold it. Same as holding a plate but the weight can get heavier and is distributed differently. Hold at the top kills your glutes too. Video below shows weight behind neck, I prefer hanging in front of me.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBHyperextension.html

Reverse Hypers-Lay face down on a bench, hip flexors down hanging off bench. Raise up.

http://www.projectswole.com/weight-training/how-to-perform-reverse-hypers-or-reverse-hyperextensions/
  • Kestrelwings
    Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Oh I get it! We really need to get some suitable equipment at the gym. It is a great place, but because it is a chain they can't install anything unless it is approved by the company :grumble:

Thanks for the info though. I shall have to figure out a way to replicate it with what we have got. :smile:
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I found a video of someone doing reverse on an exercise ball. I'm taking one on hols with me so I might give those a go. Just also came across something called stomach vacuuming (its not surgical)
    I'm going to give it a try, can do while driving to work and do kegals at the same time :-)
  • burtnyks
    burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For the longest time I never did any ab work, but one of my goals this year is to do windshield wipers. I started adding in some ab work like hanging leg raises, lying leg raises, and wipers on the ground just to gain strength....not so much for looks.