WEEK 3

Options
jesiann2014
jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
Below you will find the exercise challenges for week 3. I sure hope you have all been sticking with the program and basking in the rewarding results! It's so important to remember that our bodies are ours alone. Only you can determine if you will cherish your one and only body or if you will give in to the very temporal temptations that wreck so much havoc on our organs and bodily functions. Your body can work FOR you!

Ok, first you will see an outline of the exercises lined up for the week along with a short decription. Then the daily challenges are listed under that. Please remember to check in under this topic everyday after completion of the challenge. Melissa had us walking 10,200 steps a day in addition to the exercises and I think we should stay at that number this week.

VERY IMPORTANT! If you can't complete the daily challenge, please do not get discouraged! It's so important to know how far you can safely push your body to get positive results. If you have an injury or simply can't complete on any given day, it's imperative that you not beat yourself up. Tomorrow is a new day. Start it fresh telling yourself that you will do your best. PERIOD! Your best is really good! :)

1. High knees with arms pumping.
High knees is a great warm-up exercise. Especially for those of us who can’t jog or do regular jumping jacks. Remember that if you can’t perform a specific exercise, there is always a modification. Google is your friend! Look it up and simply exchange one for the other. For this particular exercise let’s add some shoulder work. Extend arms in front of you, bend at the elbow and loosely interlock fingers so that they are at eye level. Pump arms up and down as you lift your knees as high as you can.

2. Plank
plank2.jpg
3. Side plank
We’ve been working and hopefully building some great abdominal muscles with the regular plank. This is a great exercise. But let’s add in a side plank for those obliques. Start small and slowly add seconds to your time.
side_plank.jpg

4. Glute bridge
Press through your heels and at the top of the movement squeeze those glutes! This is a very large muscle that doesn’t get the work it needs in most exercises. Be aware of this muscle and before you know it, that booty will be looking better and better!
tumblr_inline_mx3elytp6Q1rdu2za.jpg

5. Wall squat
Ok, if you aren’t familiar with this exercise, just know that it can be tough. Also know that you will tremble! But that’s a good thing! Start at the higher level and eventually you will get to that 90° angle. Yes, your thighs might well be screaming at you, but I promise you, the results are worth it! The picture shown shows 2 seperate positions. For starters, take the higher stance. When you get more comfortable with the pose, try the 90° pose.
wall-squat1-300x212.jpg

6. Side leg lifts
Stack hips directly vertical. No leaning forward or back. The movement should be primarily felt in the outer thigh. If it’s not felt here, please check your form.
skimble-workout-trainer-exercise-lying-right-leg-lifts_iphone.jpg

7. Plank to downward dog OR Pushups
By far, this is one of my all-time favorite exercises. And I admit that the first time I performed it, it just felt all wrong. Like I wasn’t doing it correctly. But as you build up those leg and glute muscles, this yoga move will be so very rewarding in the wonderful stretch it provides. It’s also a great shoulder strengthener. The picture provided isn’t the best in that the distance between your hands and feet stays static. Your wrists are directly below your shoulders and the move is a hinge-type move in your hips. Please check out proper form on youtube. You will grow to LOVE this move! If you find that you simply aren't ready for this move just yet, replace it with push-ups. Do wall push-ups if floor push-ups are too difficult.
wm-el-downward.jpg

So there you have it! Our exercises for the week. You will need a stopwatch for a few of the exercises. Your cell phone probably has one on it. It not, download an app from your app store. Perform each set 3 times, either all at once or throughout your day and remember to get those 10,200 steps in and log your completion under this topic. Rock on, peeps!:wink:

MONDAY
40 High Knees with Arms Pumping
25 second Plank
15 second Side Plank each side
15 Glute Bridge
20 second Wall Squat
10 Side Leg Lifts each leg
7 Plank to Downward Dog OR 20 Push-ups

TUESDAY
40 High Knees with Arms Pumping
25 second Plank
15 second Side Plank each side
17 Glute Bridge
20 second Wall Squat
10 Side Leg Lifts each leg
8 Plank to Downward Dog OR 21 Push-ups

WEDNESDAY
Rest Day!
Try to get those 10,200 steps in!

THURSDAY
45 High Knees with Arms Pumping
27 second Plank
18 second Side Plank each side
18 Glute Bridge
20 second Wall Squat
12 Side Leg Lifts each leg
8 Plank to Downward Dog OR 22 Push-ups

FRIDAY
45 High Knees with Arms Pumping
27 second Plank
18 second Side Plank each side
19 Glute Bridge
20 second Wall Squat
13 Side Leg Lifts each leg
9 Plank to Downward Dog OR 23 Push-ups

SATURDAY
48 High Knees with Arms Pumping
28 second Plank
19 second Side Plank each side
19 Glute Bridge
22 second Wall Squat
13 Side Leg Lifts each leg
9 Plank to Downward Dog OR 24 Push-ups

SUNDAY
Rest day!!
Don't forget to get those 10,200 steps in!

Replies

• vonham
    vonham Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Can't wait till tomorrow to start
  • jesiann2014
    Options
    Monday Challenge complete! Yes!!
    Steps - I have to sit out the step challenge until further notice. :sad: But I'm still in this! :smile:
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,328 Member
    Options
    Monday's are my REST DAYs...back tomorrow for all the fun!

Chris
  • vonham
    vonham Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I struggled to do Mondays challenge and today I have a sore back so I've not done it today I've done 14,473 steps I'm gonna try it again tomorrow :-(
  • cpanus
    Options
    I had a dentist appointment that lasted for ever. My B-I-L is up for a few days and that changes things. My sweet husband is on vacation this week and that changes things up. I had a deplorable day at work. I did not get anything in the way of exercises done. So, I'm looking forward to tomorrow when I just might lock both these men in the garage for a couple of hours!

Chris
  • akkeat
    akkeat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Tuesdays challenge completed. Challenging but just enough! Thanks for setting this all up!
  • cpanus
    Options
    I did Monday's challenge today because I took Monday off. I got in 12,537 steps and two other challenges.

A good day!

Chris
  • cpanus
    Options
    I didn't get the challenge done. My B-I-L is visiting with us, and I feel weird working out while he's here. Hubby and I did walk our grandpuppy for an hour this evening after it cooled off a bit, and I got 12,059 steps done today.

Hope everyone had a great Thursday.

Chris
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    CONFESSION!!!!!!!!!! I went to Florida for 9 days and I just got back. I was AWFUL! I didn't track anything and ate out of my mind. I spent some great time with my mom and now I am going to get right back on track! I feel so bad. It seems like all of you have been doing such a great time while i've been gone. I logged today and I will be on the elliptical today, even if it's for 10 minutes. It's something right? UGH! I need HELP! If it's still ok, I'd like to start back on this challenge??
  • jesiann2014
    Options
    CONFESSION!!!!!!!!!! I went to Florida for 9 days and I just got back. I was AWFUL! I didn't track anything and ate out of my mind. I spent some great time with my mom and now I am going to get right back on track! I feel so bad. It seems like all of you have been doing such a great time while i've been gone. I logged today and I will be on the elliptical today, even if it's for 10 minutes. It's something right? UGH! I need HELP! If it's still ok, I'd like to start back on this challenge??

Of course it's ok! This is YOUR group! Congrats on the wonderful family time. Cherished moments no one can take from you. :heart:
    Jump right back in and let's do this!
  • tiffypooh2u
    tiffypooh2u Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Of course it's ok! This is YOUR group! Congrats on the wonderful family time. Cherished moments no one can take from you. :heart:
    Jump right back in and let's do this!

Thanks and I will jump right back in. Starting over, but at least it's a start right?!
  • cpanus
    Options
    Hubby and BIL took off for about 90 minutes this afternoon, so I got our challenge and one other challenge done. I got 10,654 steps done. Tomorrow will be better. I'm walking with daughter, hubby and pup in the morning then going shopping with daughter in the early afternoon. It will be a good day!!

Hope everyone has a great Saturday.

Chris
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It was a rough week for me. TOM started Monday at noon, and it was a tough one. Very emotional eating. I think part of it was my dad's birthday was on Wednesday and he passed away in 2001, so I get really emotional around his birthday as well. I've had a stressful and strenuous week at work as well. I did not get my usual classes in, which incorporate a lot of these exercises.

Monday: Rest Day - 7,666 steps
    Tuesday: Unintentional Rest Day - 10,172 steps
    Wednesday: Short bike ride and rode scooters with my class (17 min). + 10,449 steps
    Thursday: 29 minute walk - 13,238 total steps for the day
    Friday: 60 minute Body Pump class + 15 minute brisk walk - 7,275 steps
  • cpanus
    Options
    Walked for two hours this morning then shopped w/daughter. ...then rode bikes with hubby and BIL. I have over 18,000 steps so far. It was a good Saturday.

Hope everyone has a good Sunday.

Chris
  • cpanus
    Options
    Walked for 83 minutes this morning w/daughter, b'friend,grandpuppy, and hubby. ...BIL left this afternoon. Recovering. I have over 13,000 steps so far. It was a good Sunday.

Hope everyone has a good Monday

Chris