Need advice on reset - New to EM2WL

Options
MariahMichaels
MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
HEIGHT: 5'7"
CW: 178
GW: 160-165

MPF Settings for the past 4 months (January - April)
Sedentary (Desk Job)
Exercising 5 workouts for 60 minutes
Lose .5 pounds per week
Net Calories: 1680 a day

Using MFP setting for .5 loose a week for the past 4 months, I was netting 1600 calories. Monday, Tuesday, & Thursday I would walk briskly for 60 min's each day (3.5 MPH for a MFP calculated burn of about 300 calories). Wednesday & Friday I would use the elliptical for 62 minutes (MFP calculated burn of 745 calories) I tried to keep my net calories as close to 1600 as possible, usually within 20-50 calories. I want to make sure I have my numbers correct so I can do a reset. Since math is not my strong suit I was hoping to get some feedback with my calculations. Since my TDEE is 2176 (Light Activity) and my net calories are currently 1600, I should start eating at 1700 for the next week or two, then continue to increase by 100 until I reach my TDEE of 2176?

Scooby Website:

BMR: 1582
TDEE: 2176
Activity: Lightly Active - 3 hours a week of brisk walking, 2 hours a week of Elliptical (3.5 hours of exercise a week)
15% = 1850

Here's a little more information:

I work at a desk job, but I walk for 60-70 minutes 3 days a week and use the elliptical for 60 minutes 2 days a week. I have not been doing strength training, but I will start this weekend. I have a 3 year old daughter so I do my exercising at work during lunch and breaks, Saturday & Sunday's are spent running errands and spending time with my husband and daughter. I went from 199 (January 2013) to 168 (August 2013) using MFP, I went on maintenance starting October 2013 and gained 8 pounds by December 2013. So in January 2014 switched back to .5 lbs. lose per week and found that I'm always hungry, my weight bounced up and down from January through April. I'm sitting at 178 lbs. right now. I will take measurements this weekend as well so I can track any changes.

Thanks,
Mariah

Replies

• AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Sounds like a reset would be a great place to start --- it will give your metabolism time to get back up and running at optimal rate... The first thing that strikes me is that you may be underestimating your exercise. You wrote "3.5 hours of exercise a week" but it seems to add up to 5. Add that to the weekend running around, and I would say you are definitely in the Moderate category, not Lightly Active. You don't want to underestimate your activity level, because then you still will be, in effect, under eating.

Yep, sounds like you have a great plan - just increase your uptake gradually until your reach TDEE. You could also jump up there all at once, but most find it easier (both mentally and physically) to take the slow approach... Once you get to TDEE, EM2WL recommends that you stay at that level for a minimum of 8 - 12 weeks before starting that 10 - 15% cut.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like someone to talk to along the way...

(oh, and when you are taking measurements, don't forget to take photos!!)

Anitra