May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Options

Replies

• hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!!

I think I overdid it with 2 strength workouts in one day, I'm really lethargic today, and sore, so I decided to push my squats/bench press to Monday instead so that I'll actually have enough energy to do the hike tomorrow with the mountain man.

I did OHP yesterday evening, my 3 week of 5/3/1.

Sets:
    5 x 45 pounds
    3 x 50 pounds
    3 x 55 pounds
    3 x 65 pounds
    3 x 70 pounds-I got the 3 but barely.

Assistance Work:
    Unassisted dips-I got 3 sets of 5
    Chinups- I got eye level with the bar, but I couldn't quite get my chin over top of it. This is my goal for May, to get one with good form :) I did reverse hangs for the rest of the set, where I started at the top and lowered myself down.

Holy cow, do my shoulders and lats ever hurt today!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! :drinker: So happy I found this group! Lots of useful information here :love:

I haven't lifted weights in years. I was feeling a bit lost but someone mentioned Stronglifts 5x5 and here I am.

I still have to watch the videos and learn the proper form.

Do you girls go to a gym or do you have the equipment at home?

What other workouts do you do for weight loss?

Welcome! I go to a gym, and I do usually 2 cardio sessions a week in addition to SL (I do Wendler now technically, after I stalled on SL).
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    @coltsgirl: congrats on the big plates! It is amazing feeling to use them at the first time.
    @saranharm: I wonder about that too. I have no idea how to distinguish between muscle soreness back pain or bad kind of back pain. At the beginning I had it a lot, and it gradually disappear , so it was probably just muscle soreness. I am thinking to drag my husband to the gym with me once and ask him to take a video, but I am not even sure that is allowed in my gym or not, I know the camera is. Ot allowed in the locker room, but I have no idea what their policy regard to the weight room.

@PolacaFL : welcome to the group. I am also relatively new, but the are some awesome experienced ladies around here with tons of useful advice.m
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! :drinker: So happy I found this group! Lots of useful information here :love:

I haven't lifted weights in years. I was feeling a bit lost but someone mentioned Stronglifts 5x5 and here I am.

I do my stuff at home. I had a bench and a bar, I quickly decided I needed a squat rack too. Outside of SL I run 3x a week (couch to 5k ). And of course eat at a deficit (a small one).

Today was my first modified workout B

Squat 3x5 145 lbs gonna stay there for another workout, last couple of reps were a little off.
    Ohp 1x5, 2x4 50 lbs
    DL 1x5 140 lbs I loaded up for 160 and couldn't pick it up so I deloaded a bit

Accessories
    straight leg DL 3x8 100 lbs
    Barbell flute bridge 3x8 45lbs

Felt pretty good.
  • rosetat74
    rosetat74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been doing 5x5 for a few months now, but sometimes I feel like I'm progressing so darn slow. Oh well... I guess I am progressing and that's what counts. May is the start of month 4 and I was on workout B last night:

Squat: 1x10x0, 1x10x45, 5x5x110
    OHP: 4x5x45 (I truly hate putting things over my head)
    DL: straight leg: 3x10x100, standard: 1x5x135, 1x5x185, 1x1x205 (Yay, I finally made it over 200)

Of course about an hour later I felt like I'd been run over by a Mack truck... but loved it :happy:
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was workout A for me.
    Squats: 110 5x5 I was feeling really tired during these and even though I got through them all, I did not feel like I did that well at all. I'm glad that I found how much I love lifting because it gives me motivation to really stick to my diet so I can get to my goal weight sooner rather than later. I'm hoping that after May I will find that my results will allow me to eat more to average losing 1 pound a week. I feel hungry a lot but don't have enough data to figure out how much I can eat and still lose. Sorry for rambling.
    Bench press: 85 3,4,4,3,3 Those were really hard. Hopefully I can get more reps in next time.
    Barbell row: 80 5x5 Definitely loving my bumper plates! :smile:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Today was meant to be a 45 minute walk/light jog according to the beginner 5k program. I was planning on going at a steady jog (about 5.5mph) the entire time. Then it began raining. Runkeeper froze at 30 minutes (25 including warm-up). I set a timer to try and finish, then the rain turned into hail, the temp dropped like 10 degrees and crazy winds atarted slamming stuff in my face. I regretted the shorts greatly. Decided to call it in after about 35 mins of running and walked 5 mins back. I was frozen and soaked...

[sarcasm] Yes! I LOVE RUNNING! [/sarcasm]

On the bright side (you gotta find those lil positives, right?) I'm pretty sure I went past 5k total distance. And I'll do some yoga tonight to try and find the zen. Might go to the gym tomorrow morning when it opens at 7 even tho I'm helping my mom move during the day >_>
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Welcome, welcome!

Look at the stickies, those have helpful information on good videos and such.
    I do SL at a gym. Living in a top floor apt and dropping heavy things would probably be a quick way for my neighbors to hate me.
    I also run a few times a week when I can and have gone as high as 10k race.

@krokador

I knew I felt like a real runner when I ran after work one day in freezing rain. It was blowing all in my face and I was drenched by the end but it made me feel like a badass for still doing. so yay!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Also, question. My lower back is sore after deadlifts yesterday- does that mean my form was wrong? I have only been sore like this once i got to heavy weights but hadn't found the jack and i did hurt my back moving the weights on & off.

I was sore in the lower back after doing deadlifts for the first time! Not immediately, but the next day, so I figured it wasn't the form but the fact that it was new to my body. I did them again today, so we will see how I feel tomorrow!
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Made it to the gym last night even though what I really wanted was to sip scotch and watch TV. Had a stellar workout on Tuesday and then last night was anti-stellar.

Whatevs. At least I showed up.

Experimenting with resting myself / not overexercising on squats. So, dabbled with some warm up weights but stayed off any working weight or 5x5.

I've been stalled out on BP weight for awhile so I'm experimenting with different rep / set mixes so that I can get some time under the bar at higher weights. Last night BP was
    45x10, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 90x2, 95x1, then 45x10

90 and 95# are both PRs for me! Woot!

I've done this similarly with Squats and OHP over the past couple of weeks. It's been fun to hit these new 'highs' and these workouts have been leaving me feeling more muscled / pumped than my 5x5's were.

Hoping I have my mojo back for Saturday's workout.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Okay, so finished my first week of Stronglifts. :) I am seeing a trainer once a week, so I am just doing two days of lifting for now, until my other 7 sessions are done.

I am proud of myself, did all sets and reps with 90 secs rest between sets. I know that I will fail at some point and probably have to deload, but it was just nice to start off strong.

So, workout B
    Squats: 2x5 @45, 5x5 @50
    OHP: 6x5 @45
    Deads: 1x5 @95

Also, I figured out that on workout B days I need to wear my workout pants to the gym instead of shorts, because knees.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    @Red - check with the gym staff about the camera and let them know you are doing a form video. Most of the time they are okay with it if you are doing it for form. I also make sure with the other people working around me if it is okay just in the event they end up in the shot (we have two power racks next to each other). Most people are cool with it.
    Woohoo! drinker So happy I found this group! Lots of useful information here love

Welcome! I work out at the gym and I am primarily focused on boxing right now, but will be adding more lifting back in next week. I did SL for over a year and am switching up to Strong Curves next week. For weight loss, I watch my diet and keep to a small to moderate deficit, but I modify the amount based on how I feel and perform in the gym. Weight loss, despite having a few lbs to lose, is really not my primary focus any more.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Made it to the gym last night even though what I really wanted was to sip scotch and watch TV.

Mmm, Scotch. Have you had Lagavulin?
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the welcomes! :flowerforyou:

I'm considering Lying Squat over Barbell Squats. It looks scary right now and maybe using dumbells for Overhead press. May will be a month of trial and error. I want to focus on form and setting a routine first.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Made it to the gym last night even though what I really wanted was to sip scotch and watch TV.

I've had their 16 yr before. Can't really recall it, but we had a lot of scotch around the house at that point :drinker:

I'm partial to Aberlour for the day to day scotch, but I think the best I've ever had is Knockando 25 yr special reserve. Also enjoyed Balvinie 21 year for my graduation.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the welcomes! :flowerforyou:

I'm considering Lying Squat over Barbell Squats. It looks scary right now and maybe using dumbells for Overhead press. May will be a month of trial and error. I want to focus on form and setting a routine first.
    Don't be afraid of barbells! They do look scary at first, but if you start with the empty bar you have plenty of time to overcome your fear. If the empty bar is too heavy, start with a lighter bar or a broomstick :) I'd recommend doing this even if it's not too heavy but in the heavy-ish range, so your brain can learn the moves.

ETA: I love Mass Effect :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Alrighty...pretty good workout for me. I'm having some stomach issues, so I didn't want to push it on the squats..heh.

Squats: 155 lbs 3x5...Should have been doing 175 lbs, but didn't want to have a blow out :laugh:

Bench: 105 lbs 4-4-3 Had a spotter on this weight, because I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to even get one of them up. I just kept telling myself "you're stronger than you think" and lo and behold I got 4 up! That 5th one was a doozy, though. The guy spotting me said "I like that you struggled on the 4th one, but you went right back down for the 5th one."

Rows: 110 lbs 3x5 Pretty tough, these. I have a feeling that I'll fail at 115, but I'll just keep telling myself what I told myself on the bench and maybe that'll work.

My wallpaper on my phone says "if it doesn't scare you-it's not heavy enough." :drinker:

I added in 105 lb good mornings just because. 3x8 of those.

I think I'm gonna take a break from calorie counting for a week and see how that goes :tongue: My lifts next week should be stellar :bigsmile: Everyone have a fantastic weekend!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Ladies

Tai that gif I just don't know what to say...really...looks like some sort of acid trip...
    @wolf yah on NSV

Yah I might have to check out the foam rollers..they look interesting

@sara if you don't feel low enough get a box at the height you want to be..or a stool and use that to check and if you fail least you have some place to sit...:bigsmile: that's what I did when I was just hitting parallel at higher weights.

@diane yah pain means stop that's for sure...
    @red nice workout and yes my mondays (after weekend off) are always great days...might have something there...as well the higher my squat weight gets the more I think of switching to 3x5...just gotta get it my head wrapped around it.
    @polaca welcome, I workout at home...other than this just HIIT or walking and biking/swimming now that it's summer.
    @colts congrats on the DL..
    @rose you are doing great DL over 200...nice

Went for a 2 mile walk in the light/med rain yesterday...30mins so pretty good clip using that app mapmywalk. A bit sore today tho...

so my squat warm ups were increased
    2x5 @ 15, 2x5@ 60, 2x5@ 80 working weight @ 140 again today 5x5 (babying my leg a bit still) will try 145 Monday. 3:45min rest periods

Bench warmups 2x5@15, 2x5@65 working weight @120 today 5x5 (4min rests)

Rows @ 120 again today due to form on a few of them on Monday (4min rests) no warms ups..warm enough 5x5 on those but still form..I feel like I am using my upper body sometimes to get them up.

Need to concentrate on keeping my core tight.

Odd workout for me, when I started I thought I would not get through it...once I got through the squat warmups and 2-3 set of squats it was all good.

Have a great weekend ladies...
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options

No -- I'll have to look for this and give it a try!
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    I've had their 16 yr before. Can't really recall it, but we had a lot of scotch around the house at that point :drinker:

I'm partial to Aberlour for the day to day scotch, but I think the best I've ever had is Knockando 25 yr special reserve. Also enjoyed Balvinie 21 year for my graduation.

Ooo, recommendations. Yay! <3