Footwear for backpacking

Options
mrphil86
mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
So I read an article (perhaps a month ago) about how hiking boots are pretty much useless now because of the quality of trail running shoes. I recently bought a couple of trail running shoes. (Salomon Speedcross 3 and Salomon Men's XA PRO 3D Ultra 2) My boots are Salomons too. As far as footwear goes, I LOVE Salomon products.

I've only gone hiking in the trail running shoes and I feel like they would hold up pretty well and I might make the switch. I hear of people hiking the whole PCT in trail running shoes.

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• 1960HikerDude
    1960HikerDude Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I switched to trail runners last year for 3-season (when there is no snow) use. I've used them on day hikes and several backpacking trips. I won't go back to regular hiking boots. IMHO, the trail runners have some advantages I really like.

1) Unlike hiking boots with stiff Vibram soles., with trail runners, I can feel what is under my feet. This makes me more sure of my footing and less likely to roll my ankles.

2) Trail runners dry quick. Hiking boots get wet an stay wet.

3) My feet feel a lot better at the end of the day. And I don't have to carry camp shoes when backpacking. I simply loosen my laces when I get to camp.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Quality trail running shoes have always existed. Soloman is great, although I prefer La Sportiva. I think the more important parts of the decision making are the weight that you are carrying, your distance and terrain, and your experience level. With the recent craze in ultra-lite gear and advancements in backpacking technology, some thru-hikers are managing on as little as 12 lbs pack loads, which is crazy to me! They don't need boots because their packs are nearly non-existent.

I wouldn't say that boots are useless. I wear them when my pack is heavy and the terrain is difficult. When I'm packing cold-weather gear, extra cookware, water, beer, luxury items -- it's probably going to be boots. It's it really wet, it's also probably going to be boots. Gore-Tex lows won't cut it because if water gets inside, it doesn't drain out. My state of PA is fondly know as "where boots go to die" because hikers go through boots so often here because the terrain is rocky and difficult.

Trail runners are fantastic if you're moving fast and light and don't need the ankle support. I also think experience and distance play a part too because newer or infrequent hikers may not have the ankle strength to go without boots. There are a lot of factors to consider.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Quality trail running shoes have always existed. Soloman is great, although I prefer La Sportiva. I think the more important parts of the decision making are the weight that you are carrying, your distance and terrain, and your experience level. With the recent craze in ultra-lite gear and advancements in backpacking technology, some thru-hikers are managing on as little as 12 lbs pack loads, which is crazy to me! They don't need boots because their packs are nearly non-existent.

I wouldn't say that boots are useless. I wear them when my pack is heavy and the terrain is difficult. When I'm packing cold-weather gear, extra cookware, water, beer, luxury items -- it's probably going to be boots. It's it really wet, it's also probably going to be boots. Gore-Tex lows won't cut it because if water gets inside, it doesn't drain out. My state of PA is fondly know as "where boots go to die" because hikers go through boots so often here because the terrain is rocky and difficult.

Trail runners are fantastic if you're moving fast and light and don't need the ankle support. I also think experience and distance play a part too because newer or infrequent hikers may not have the ankle strength to go without boots. There are a lot of factors to consider.

I suppose I can agree except one thing.
    When I'm packing cold-weather gear, extra cookware, water, beer, luxury items -- it's probably going to be boots. It's it really wet, it's also probably going to be boots. Gore-Tex lows won't cut it because if water gets inside, it doesn't drain out

I'm not sure how that's going to keep water out unless you are using garters. Which even then water still gets inside.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid hiker in the PNW. I like trail runners for walks and day hikes (current pair is Brooks Cascadias - they're awesome). But when I'm going out for more than just the day, I like my very old fashioned all leather boots with burly vibram soles. When I'm out on a trip, it's usually in the north cascades where the weather can change at the drop of a hat. So my gear list is fairly extensive...as well, I don't really get the whole ultralight gig - while I've lightened up my gear a LOT lately, I still like a few creature comforts in my campsite. And I hike with two very large, very spoiled dogs whose food I have to carry as well. Yes, the boots are heavier than the runners, but my feet and ankles are well supported with the 30-40lbs of weight I have on my back. My crampons fit on them if need be, and I don't have to worry about taking a toe off with my ice axe (I'm a klutz).
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm with RobinA. ..... I'm old school, and still wear boots. I'm also very clumsy, and tend to roll my ankles a lot. So most of the time for me, it's boots. I do have an awesome pair of ultra light trail running shoes. I would prefer to hike in them, but like I said, I don't walk with much style and grace
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I like the trail runners or low top shoes. I could never get used to higher boots as they rubbed on the outsides of my ankles and bruised them (three different tries). I have hiked for two weeks at a stretch in Nepal and Europe and the low top hikers worked great. I carried a day pack and not a heavy backpack. However, even for a couple of days backpacking I only wear low top shoes, Ahnu, Soloman, or Keen have been the latest few pairs.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group, and wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I don't wear shoes when hiking for these reasons:

1. If I'm going to be on terrain that isn't basically flat, I need ankle support.
    2. For low water crossings, it is nice to have waterproof boots that will stay dry. (I will carry water shoes sometimes and switch for higher water to keep my boots dry, but I'm not going barefoot as my feet are way too sensitive and will get cut up from rocks).
    3. Soles are usually thicker on boots. Like I said, my feet are sensitive, and walking over sticks, rocks, etc. on thin-soled shoes just isn't going to work.

Currently, I have a pair of Lowa boots for summer (i.e. non-snow). I've had these since Feb., so they have somewhere around 100-150 miles on them.
    For winter / snow, I have a pair of Sorel boots that are taller, lined for warmth, and have a much thicker sole. I don't use these very often.

I've never used gaitors, but have thought about knee-high gaitors for thicker midwest snow. I also have no snowshoes. Next time I go to the PNW when there is snow on the ground, I will get some - I fell through to my ribs in the Grand Tetons on Memorial Day weekend this year. Chances are, by December I will have a tall pair of gaitors to keep my shins dry.