Breakfast ideas please

Options
joybedford
joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
Hi I changed to a paleo diet in November last year as a way to treat my fibromyalgia and it was very successful in doing so. In January I completed a whole 30 actually went to 43 days and loved it. I had more energy, my chronic pain disappeared, depression disappeared and I coped much better with life. At that time I thought I would be paleo for ever I felt so good but for some reason my old habits have crept back in and so have my symptoms. I have never felt worse in my life, occupational health have told me I am depressed and want me to go back on amytriptiline to treat the fibro. I don't want to spend my life on meds and know the only way is to go back to paleo. One of my main problems with paleo was breakfast initially I did well eating soup etc but I got to the point I just couldn't face it in the morning. I tried fruit, nuts and coconut milk but was hungry very quickly after also I found I was having too much sugar. So what do you eat in the morning. I workout hard normally but just lately my energy has been lacking. My diet for the past few weeks has been terrible and I have constant cravings.
My other issue is my husband he isn't the most supportive of the paleo lifestyle and complains if I eat different food to the rest of the family. He would never go paleo, although he enjoys the paleo food I cook.At the moment he is following a typical bodybuilder diet.
I need to do this I can't stand feeling like this, I am in constant pain, lacking energy and have gained weight. advice please but don't be too hard on me feeling a bit vulnerable at the moment.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    There are no rules on what you can and can't eat for breakfast. If you love the food and it's healthy, eat it. Any time. I'm not a big soup person at all so soup for breakfast would not be doable. But for me, breakfast just isn't doable anyway. I'm not hungry when I first get up and my body is happy to wait until lunch time for solid food. I do have Bulletproof coffee for breakfast though. If I were to have breakfast it would be foods like eggs, meat, avocado, maybe some veggies and maybe not.

Best wishes for you to recommit and get your health back in order.
  • 103reasons
    103reasons Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Personally, I tend to go with low gi fruit and some macadamia nuts, but I also love Elena's Pantry's Breakfast bars. You can try different fruits and nuts and find something that works for you and your family. The Blueberry Honey Coconut Cups from PaleOMG are also pretty great, freezer friendly, and easy to eat on the go.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/gluten-free-apricot-power-bars/

http://paleomg.com/blueberry-honey-coconut-cups/
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking up some hashes this week. One of them I cooked on Sunday evening and have eaten every morning this week. It was just 1lb of sausage cooked with some sliced sweet potato and kale. I reheated some in the mornings and fried a couple of eggs over easy to put on top! So good! Another idea is to make omelettes in your muffin pan and reheat 2 or 3 in the mornings to eat. I also put full-fat canned coconut milk in my coffee for extra fat and because it tastes good :)
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My favorite breakfast is ground beef and cabbage. Sometimes with an egg, sometimes without. I keep the ground beef cooked up in the fridge and the cabbage chopped up so I can simply throw it into a skillet with butter and add the beef when the cabbage is starting to brown.

I also like a few eggs with asparagus and mushrooms and either guacamole or avocado. I will cook up a bunch of the veg and throw 4 eggs on top to make a frittata-esque omelet. I eat half one morning and half the next.

Leftovers from dinner is also great. Leftover pork chops with eggs and veg, beef stew, this AM I added taco meat from dinner last night to 2 scrambled eggs and some cheddar (I am primal so eat dairy).

I like eggs a lot so don't mind eating them most mornings but like I said ground meats, beef, chicken, pork, even lamb, are delicious with veggies for a filling and nutritious meal.

Hope you can get back to feeling your old self, it's no fun to hurt all the time and feel like hell. Hang in there, you can heal yourself with proper food as your medecine :)
  • mfrankrn
    mfrankrn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love eggs and eat those most days. I pre-made an egg bake (paleo) and keep it in my freezer for days I need something quick. I love eggs scrambled with spinach, mushrooms, peppers, and onions. Breakfast is one of my favorite things about paleo!
  • joybedford
    Options
    I had fruit and nuts this morning with some natural yoghurt (needs using up I can't afford to throw away food). It was tasty but too high in calories and sugar. Need to figure something else out. I enjoyed a hash I made before but my husband used to complain about me eating it in the morning he said the smell made him feel ill. I will be primal until all the dairy is gone and then back to paleo. I have to figure this out. Thanks for your help.
  • Hiennn
    Hiennn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, first off, nice work on the 43 days of Paleo. I did a 75 day strict Paleo challenge recently and although I learned a lot about food quality and how certain foods affect my body, I realized it too restricted for me. Paleo is fantastic as a template but I count macros/calories for optional athletic performance and it allows me to have the occasional "treat," Paleo or not. During my 75 day Paleo challenge, my husband decided to join me. He is the kind of guy who can have hot dogs, burgers, chips, ice cream daily and still have at least a 6-pack. He too complained occasionally but I made it simple, told him if he wants to eat what he wants to eat, he should go buy it, prepare it, cook it and clean it up himself. That brought the complaints to a complete halt. You have to remember that you're eating Paleo, or whatever way you choose to eat, for yourself and it is not a selfish thing. If he can't jump on board he should at least not be so negative.

Check out this post concerning how to live with your non Paleo Spouse:
    http://paleononpaleo.com/27-ways-live-non-paleo-spouse/

Here are some breakfast ideas:
    Smoked Salmon (costco has one that is Paleo friendly, minus the sauce), avocado and a couple cups of mixed greens (kale, spinach, chard, etc)

Egg muffins:
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3397688384/curried-beef-broccoli-slaw-mushroom-frittata

I eat these for breakfast lunch or dinner:
    http://www.health-bent.com/beef/paleo-hawaiian-barbecue-bacon-burgers
    http://www.health-bent.com/poultry/paleo-maple-mustard-grilled-chicken

These are just a couple ideas, try searching for recipes on chowstalker.com

Hope this helps! Take care :happy:
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat anything "breakfast"
    I like to eat whatever I have in hand in the morning.
    Today I had a steak with roasted cauliflower,I like oxtail,lamb..whatever.
    I often fast for 16-18 hours and find I do better this way...higher fat also seems to work best for me with a smaller amount of protein and lower carbs.
    When I stopped thinking of meals as breakfast,lunch and dinner,things got much easier.
    The only thing I find annoying is when I have friends staying and I get the turned up nose or horror at my morning food choices.
    Good luck with recommitting to feeling better and happier.I am sure you will be benefiting immediately :)
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm not super big on breakfast either and another who goes for "whatever" foods if I do rather than traditional breakfast options. But I grew up with a mom who would occasionally let us have breakfast stuff for dinner and don't see why you can't eat what foods work on your plan at any point in the day.

With regards to your husband have you tried having a heart to heart with him and point out that your health should matter to him? That his complaints push you into making choices that result in actual physical pain along with emotional distress and if he enjoys having you in pain then keep it up, otherwise suck it up and support you as you would him.
  • joybedford
    Options
    I had a chat with my husband yesterday he saw first hand yesterday how down I was about my pain levels and said I need to do what works for me. He is trying to gain muscle at the moment so we are going to support each other. Today is going well, had some dairy as need to finish up the yoghurt but doing great with food so far. I am at work right now but going food shopping when I finish. Need lots if veggies, salad etc. tonight I will have a bit of a cook up, working again in the morning going to make egg muffins to take with me. I am enjoying the challenge again. There are cupcakes in the office at work and I am not tempted, hopefully that will last.
  • jellerose
    jellerose Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you like Italian style dressing get some Bragg's apple cider vinegar. I mix it with melted coconut oil (you could do a high quality olive oil) and spices for a great dressing. If I'm the only one eating it I also dump a bunch of turmeric in. And if I'm doing dairy I will mix it with some good sour cream (the kind without additives!) for a creamier taste. If you have plain yogurt you could use that.

Great that you're both going to be supportive of each other. It's really the best way to go about it. Being a team. Be sure you give him lots of little thank yous, they are kind of like puppies that way, ha.
  • sunnycrisv
    sunnycrisv Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great job on the challenge! And it's good to hear also that your husband is being supportive. Eggs seem to be th go-to food on the recipe sites. I can't eat them daily so I feel your pain in finding something that works. Today I made a bacon stir fry. Sometimes I do omelets. Sometimes I'm just hungry in the morning so don't eat.
  • Rozydreams
    Rozydreams Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I usually skip breakfast but if I am hungry I'll have Flax Seed Porridge
    1/4 c ground flax
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    (mix flax and protein powder together before adding hot water)
    1/3 c hot water (depending on consistency you like)
    cinnamon, vanilla, sunflower seeds, nutmeg etc whatever you like

Microwave for 30 seconds depending on strength of microwave firms it up a bit
    then pour over a little cream and sweetener of your choice.

Or a Greek yogurt parfait with scoop of protein powder, ground flax seeds, sprinkle of seeds or nuts, berries etc.

or a steak haha!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    The longer I eat this way the more I get my head around the breakfast thing- weekends I usually have bacon, eggs and some salad, weekdays i have a protein shake with a banana and some hazelnut butter.
    I have been known to just eat what ever is left over from the previous nights food, I.e lamb chops and broccoli. It's taken a while to get my head around 'non' breakfast food and just start seeing it as food.
  • joybedford
    Options
    Thanks again for all your help. I remembered from before I really enjoyed making a hash of varying kinds so been making them. I am not great with eggs they make me constipated and trigger IBS. I eat them but need to reduce the amount I am having recently. Today is my first real day back on paleo I was considering another whole 30 but it's my birthday on the 5th June and my twins birthday on the 7th June. We usually go out somewhere really nice for our birthday and I don't want to be stressing over it. Might still do whole 30 and plan our meal for after it finishes and eat sensibly when we go out. I am excited to be back at it. My well fed books have been dusted off and after my run I am about to go food shopping. I might shop first it's tipping it down with rain here.
  • jakejacobsen
    jakejacobsen Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I usually skip breakfast but if I am hungry I'll have Flax Seed Porridge
    1/4 c ground flax
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    (mix flax and protein powder together before adding hot water)
    1/3 c hot water (depending on consistency you like)
    cinnamon, vanilla, sunflower seeds, nutmeg etc whatever you like

Microwave for 30 seconds depending on strength of microwave firms it up a bit
    then pour over a little cream and sweetener of your choice.

Or a Greek yogurt parfait with scoop of protein powder, ground flax seeds, sprinkle of seeds or nuts, berries etc.

or a steak haha!

I have been experimenting, I will have to try this.

So far one of my favorites is riced cauliflower butter garlic, salt, pepper. It was amazing and while I know its in my head it felt good to eat from a bowl with a spoon.

Today its Acorn Squash and cinnamon and of coarse butter.

Sweet potato baked with butter and cinnamon are good too.

I was drinking Fat coffees (BPC) but am returning to breakfast as I need the extra veggies in my diet.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I just learned how to make omletts in the microwave so I have been bringing those to work for breakfast. So much faster and easier to clean than making on stove.
  • mommymilkies
    Options
    Whole30 and eating undercooked eggs when I was nauseous from mastitis killed my love of eggs. I seriously can hardly stomach looking at them. It seems all of the paleo/primal/Whole30 breakfasts are egg based. *shudder* I usually just heat up leftovers nowadays. Or a smoothie. You can make paleo breakfast sandwiches with steamed/sauteed sweet potato slices in place of the biscuit, too. Throw on some egg and sausage or bacon and it's a meal. I also make paleo granola sometimes with nuts and eat it in coconut cream. That will fill you up quickly.