Metformin causing loss of appetite?

Options
2»

Replies

• diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I too find it reduced my appetite. From the day of my diagnosis, I started eating healthy. I think that the metformin helps and I have to plan my meals and snacks because I am rarely "hungry" anymore...
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I too find it reduced my appetite. From the day of my diagnosis, I started eating healthy. I think that the metformin helps and I have to plan my meals and snacks because I am rarely "hungry" anymore...
    Yeah, for the most part, it really helps me to eat healthy. I did put a reminder on my phone, 'cause I just don't get that hungry.
  • Tornado_JS
    Tornado_JS Posts: 4
    Options
    Metformin seemed to reduce my appetite for a short period of time. After about 4 months my appetite was normal.
  • kamaperry
    kamaperry Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Metformin seemed to reduce my appetite for a short period of time. After about 4 months my appetite was normal.
    Oh ok, not sure I want my appetite back.
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I've been very recently diagnosed, and am by no means an expert. I do have the advantage, however, of very recently going to both a diabetes educator and a diabetes nutritionist.

I asked about the same loss of hunger you are experiencing.

I was told it is a common phenomena related to a transition from an uncontrolled to a controlled insulin resistance level. If you have uncontrolled insulin resistance, you can actually eat more food and still be starving the tissues of your body. Lacking the ability to get the proper amount of glucose, your cells are unable get the energy they need. You, therefore feel hungry even though you're perhaps eating more than you should.

So, getting your insulin resistance in control might end up having a beneficial side effect of you experiencing less hunger. (I guess you could think of it as a more "normal" hunger, if you dare the label.)

The feeling probably won't last, though. As with many things your body will adjust. You will just have a new "normal".

But as I said, I'm new to this. Take my advice with a grain of salt. Consult your doctors and/or diabetes counselors for the best info.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I was told it is a common phenomena related to a transition from an uncontrolled to a controlled insulin resistance level. If you have uncontrolled insulin resistance, you can actually eat more food and still be starving the tissues of your body. Lacking the ability to get the proper amount of glucose, your cells are unable get the energy they need. You, therefore feel hungry even though you're perhaps eating more than you should.

Thanks, that makes sense. I was told it was a side effect, but nobody felt like explaining why.