Calories and Carbs?

Options
DevWall44
DevWall44 Posts: 25 Member
MFP has me set at 1680 calories a day to lose 1 pound per week. I reset my macros when I decided to go low carb at 5% Carbs, 30% Protein, and 65% Fat. Should I try and hit all those macros AND THE CALORIES? Or forget about the calories and just stay under the carb count? I'm just kind of confused.

Also, I always seem to be high on protein. Is that ok?

Thanks guys :flowerforyou:

Replies

• timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    if your doing atkins induction phase you do not count calories only carbs, and depending on which atkins book your using you can either eat 20 carbs per day, or net carbs per day, but in the induction phase you do not have to count calories, thats the beauty of it,
  • DevWall44
    DevWall44 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing induction really because I am eating avocados and nuts but I am trying to stay below 25 carbs per day. Should I still stay under my calories too? Or simply worry about the carbs?
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Calories still matter, of course, but many people choose not to count them at first. They focus on shifting their body into ketosis, burning fat for fuel instead of carbs. You can be pretty darn hungry the first week, so you may end up overeating. That's fine, though. After another week, your body will be more regulated to burning fat for fuel and your hunger will be less significant. In a month, you'll likely be like many others where you kinda just forget to eat, hahaha.
  • cnm81600
    cnm81600 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You just answered a question of mine about being hungry.....today is day two and I feel that I'm eating too much. I feel fine right now but I was really hungry up until this point(on and off). I set my calories high(1800) even though I had it set to 1500(custom). I try to burn at least 300 calories 3-4 days a week. I guess I'm getting used to little to no carbs(sugar) in my body and its just craving something. That my guess. I hope it slows down in the next few days. I've read that people feel tired and so far my energy is pretty good. I hope it continues. I did notice when I had too many carbs it made me want to sleep.
  • EbonyAries
    EbonyAries Posts: 19
    Options
    This is my second day doing atkins, and for the past two days I have been over the limit on calories per day set by MFP. But still under 20g of carbs. I hope I am not doing more damage than good.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Calories still matter, of course, but many people choose not to count them at first. They focus on shifting their body into ketosis, burning fat for fuel instead of carbs. You can be pretty darn hungry the first week, so you may end up overeating. That's fine, though. After another week, your body will be more regulated to burning fat for fuel and your hunger will be less significant. In a month, you'll likely be like many others where you kinda just forget to eat, hahaha.

i usually lose my hunger after 3 full days of very low carb eating, and your right, sometimes I forget to eat, I am pretty sure Atkins was counting on ketosis to kick in and cause the weight lose just through general bordom of eating low carb all the time,