May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Options

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm slowly getting my weights up, but I'm giving myself more time because adding 5lbs each workout is too tough for me.

Today:

Squat: 5x5, 80lbs
    OHP: 5x5, 45lbs
    DL: 1x5, 85lbs

I can't seem to progress on the OHP, how did you ladies do it?

Happy Friday :drinker:

I pretty much haven't and I don't care (is that bad?)
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    @Katro,liza, AAbru Thanks! :blushing: It's amazing what women are capable of when we put our minds to it. I was a smoker for 14 or 15 years (can't quite remember, and I started at a very young age), didn't play sports in high school. I would belong to gyms over the years and was a decent ellipticaller, but I think that's about it. When I quit smoking 4 and a half years ago I became a really good arc trainee, and muddled around on weight machines not really doing a whole lot. Eventually this idea of barbell training caught on and I quite like it! Oh and that pyramid I'll keep in mind the next time I want to cry from chest and back doms.

@Jstout. I visited my mom over St. Patty's and she gave me a gym bag she bought that was too big. She was laughing at some of the things I keep in my gym bag. I don't have a tape measure though...maybe should add one in. Re: elbow. I hit my knee on a similar nerve in Feb and it took me a few weeks to recover. I was so mad! Hopefully yours is sooner.

@Krok I'm pretty sure you'll be winning the hunger games.

@Saranharm I think maybe your OHP apathy will be your ally. One day you'll be like "this is so light!" and be able to progress without the stress.

ETA:

@all you scotch women. My dad is a big fancy scotch drinker and I think you all have lost your tastebuds, but that just means more vodka, tequila, and craft beer for meeeeeeeee, Even though I'm not a big drinker I can hoard it and gaze lovingly at it.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    @all you scotch women. My dad is a big fancy scotch drinker and I think you all have lost your tastebuds, but that just means more vodka, tequila, and craft beer for meeeeeeeee, Even though I'm not a big drinker I can hoard it and gaze lovingly at it.

I drink my share of craft beer on the weekends. ;) You can haz all the tequila and vodka though. :p
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I don't like alcohol, unless it tastes more like white grape juice :)

My lifts sucked today.

Squats: 3x5 150 lbs
    I got a video for form check but don't know how to upload.

Bench: 1x5 90 pounds
    Then I failed and gave up (see the aforementioned apathy that is my personality. :)
    I did 4x5 with the bar only

Rows: 3x5 75 lbs
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't like alcohol unless it is mixed with something that makes the drink taste nothing like alcohol. :smile:

Today was workout B for me
    Squats: 110 5,5,4,5,5 I don't know why 110 already feels so heavy to me. My form with 105 was fairly decent but not so much with 110. I cannot get my chest to come up at the same time as my hips on every rep. I'm just going to keep trying and hoping that someday I will be able to squat even close to what a lot of you awesome ladies are doing.
    Overhead press: 65 5,4,5,5,4 Even though I failed two sets I was pretty pleased. I didn't get 5 on any set last time. I needed those 5 minute rests with these though so I hope that it okay.
    Deadlift: 135 1x5 again. I was worried that I maybe did a shoulder shrug last time so I wanted to make sure I could do these well. I'm ready for 140 now.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

I drink my share of craft beer on the weekends. ;) You can haz all the tequila and vodka though. :p

I enjoy beer (mainly into ales), have recently been more into hard ciders (hubby did some home brew cider this year), scotch, whiskeys in general, and vodka....

Tree you can have all the wicked tequila you want :drinker:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Tree you can have all the wicked tequila you want :drinker:

You better share that tequila! That's MY drink! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jstout365
    Options
    @Jstout. I visited my mom over St. Patty's and she gave me a gym bag she bought that was too big. She was laughing at some of the things I keep in my gym bag. I don't have a tape measure though...maybe should add one in. Re: elbow. I hit my knee on a similar nerve in Feb and it took me a few weeks to recover. I was so mad! Hopefully yours is sooner.

I'm going to have to get a second bag just to carry my extra gym gear now.....

My normal bag holds the typical stuff, toiletries, shower gear, HRM and watch, chalk, water bottle, gym clothes and shoes. But with boxing I now have the gloves, the headgear, the mouth guards, boxing shoes, wraps, personal round timer, and full set of back up contact lens with solution. And for Strong Curves I just picked up a squat sponge for hip thrusts and resistance bands. I'm going to need to carry a notebook to track the workouts as well. I'll look like I'm moving in some days.
  • Fittreelol
    Options

I'm going to have to get a second bag just to carry my extra gym gear now.....

My normal bag holds the typical stuff, toiletries, shower gear, HRM and watch, chalk, water bottle, gym clothes and shoes. But with boxing I now have the gloves, the headgear, the mouth guards, boxing shoes, wraps, personal round timer, and full set of back up contact lens with solution. And for Strong Curves I just picked up a squat sponge for hip thrusts and resistance bands. I'm going to need to carry a notebook to track the workouts as well. I'll look like I'm moving in some days.

Yeah my gym bag holds JUST my gym gear, and it's pretty huge. I have belt, screwdriver, wrist wraps, knee wraps, chucks, knee socks, extra pair of normal socks, 2.5lbs of fractionals, mini rumble roller, stick roller, tennis ball, and then random odds and ends that are pretty small. I'll be fitting a pair of squat shoes in there soon as well. Then I bring a backpack with my gym clothes. I go after work, but if I needed to shower I'd be putting all my personal care items in there as well.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Uzzah! This one was a lot tougher than it appeared to be on paper!

OHP working up to a 1RM (max 12 minutes/3 misses)
    45x2
    55x2
    65x2
    75x1
    80x1
    82.5x1
    85x miss
    85x1
    87.5x miss

It's hard not to try to hip drive these, esp at this higher weight. I might've been able to pull off 87.5 if I hadn't had that first miss on 85. I need to take longer rest periods >_>

Assisted pull-ups. First set AMRAP, next 3 sets submax (basically keeping 1 rep in, not grinding anything out)
    @80lbs assit
    10 / 7 / 7 / 5 - still so much work to do here

Then moving on to an interval set-up of 5 rounds of
    - 40 Double unders (regressed to 80 single jumps because 40 DUs woulda taken me until tomorrow lol)
    - 10 DB Thrusters @ 20lbs
    - 200m of shuttle sprints. Program called 8x25m but my gymn's longest section is 12m, factor in having to turn around, that was 20x10m. It was mentally tough O_o

Times were under 3:30 for each round so all in all not too bad. First round was 2:51 and I wasn,t able to beat that so I might've gone a lil too hard to begin with.

My gym bag holds my mini bag with all the odd things I might need (lax ball, resistance bands, jump rope, fractionals, liquid grip, straps, watch, my spibelt and corded earphones in case my bluetooth batterie dies, bandana for bad hair days) as well as my toiletries, change of clothes, some gloves which I never use, either my running shoes or lifting shoes depending on what the day calls for (I can,t fit both haha) and my notepad, pens, shaker bottle, and usually a spare quest bar in case of crazy hunger. It,s pretty full lol.

Aaand... is it bad I've never actually had scotch? Not a huge alcohol fan in general (I'm with dennie, it needs to be sweet and NOT taste like alcohol at all so I stay away for the most part).

@Fittree
    @Krok I'm pretty sure you'll be winning the hunger games.
    I'm training for 2 spartan races... Same diff? :P
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Worst. Workout. Ever. So once I hit 135lbs for squats, I've been experiencing sharp pain in my right glute (right in the center of my butt cheek to be specific). It is deep and the sharp pain can be felt even when I just bend over to pick something up off the floor. The muscle soreness kicks in immediately after my workout and continues on for days, which I why I've been trying to limit SL to twice a week instead of 3 days just so I can try and recover a little. Today, I did my warm up squats, but when I loaded up to 135 to do 1x5 as part of my warm up before going on to 145 for work weight, that sharp pain hit again but it felt like it was 1,000x times worse than it has been before! Like hot knife stabbed into your butt pain (not that I've ever had that happen, but you know what I mean :wink: )! I got a foam roller this week and that help alleviate the pain for a few hours, but I just can't shake this! I didn't even do any other exercises today, just stiffly walked out of the gym with my robot legs, struggled to get my butt into my car and drove home.

Not sure what to do now - deload and work my way back up more slowly?
  • Fittreelol
    Options
    Get a lacross/tennis ball and sit on it/roll around on it like so:
    Piriformis-Stretch-to-Relieve-Sciatica-Pain.jpg

Oh yeah I forgot about resistance bands and a tub of chalk in my gym bag. :laugh: There may be more things even who can keep track?!
  • jstout365
    Options

Oh yeah I forgot about resistance bands and a tub of chalk in my gym bag. :laugh: There may be more things even who can keep track?!

She looks too happy to be doing any good deep tissue work....she should be grimacing in the sweet sweet pain of the muscle release.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

She looks too happy to be doing any good deep tissue work....she should be grimacing in the sweet sweet pain of the muscle release.

In her defence, that ball or whatever she's sittong on looks really squishy. Not sure her face would be the same on a lacrosse ball xP
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Ugh. Worst. Workout. Ever. So once I hit 135lbs for squats, I've been experiencing sharp pain in my right glute (right in the center of my butt cheek to be specific). It is deep and the sharp pain can be felt even when I just bend over to pick something up off the floor. The muscle soreness kicks in immediately after my workout and continues on for days, which I why I've been trying to limit SL to twice a week instead of 3 days just so I can try and recover a little. Today, I did my warm up squats, but when I loaded up to 135 to do 1x5 as part of my warm up before going on to 145 for work weight, that sharp pain hit again but it felt like it was 1,000x times worse than it has been before! Like hot knife stabbed into your butt pain (not that I've ever had that happen, but you know what I mean :wink: )! I got a foam roller this week and that help alleviate the pain for a few hours, but I just can't shake this! I didn't even do any other exercises today, just stiffly walked out of the gym with my robot legs, struggled to get my butt into my car and drove home.

I totally had that pain for a couple weeks. I am an idiot and worked through it and it went away. Rolling it out before and after would have probably helped.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I did workout a today and it sucked big time. I failed my squat on the very first set , and then I failed my bench in the very first set. I am experimenting whether the extra bit of rest or the morning workout is the key for me. Today I worked out at 7 am , so morning workout definitely is not the key. I worked out Thursday morning at 9 am last time, so it was 46 hr between workout and I think it is just not sufficient for me.
    I am going to try the Monday, Wednesday evening and Saturday morning schedule next week. That gives 2.5 days ( 60 hrs) rest twice and 2 days rest (48 hrs) once.

Anyway my today's workout was:
    Squat:
    Warmup: 45x5,65x5,95x 5
    Set: 105 lb : 4,5,5,4,4
    bench:
    Warmup: 45x5,65x5,75x5
    Set: 85 lb: 4,5,5,4,5
    Barbell row:
    Warmup: 45x5
    Set: 95x5
    Extras: assisted pull-up with 90 lb assistance: 8,7,6
    Plank:4x30 sec

My gym bag only holds my phone, my trainer shoes, a hanging lock and that is all. It is rather empty. Since the gym is 5 minutes from my house and I put my workout clothes on at home and walk/ bike there and back I do not take shower there or change clothes there. I don't listen to music in the gym because it distract me. I hope one day my bag may hold a set of fractionals. I hinted my hubby as a potential mothers' day gift ;) I am also considering to get liquid chalk.
    My gym have multiple water fountains in the weight area, has all kind of accessories like rubber bands, jump ropes, and whatnot so I do not need to take any fitness equipment with me either.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options

10 max effort broad jumps. The farthest i got was an approximate 75 inches. I don't carry a tape measure around, ya'll xD

Standard gym bag equipment. Rookie, fail..............

Nah, I'm just teasing. I have no reason a person would bring a tape measure to the gym.
    So is it weird that I carry one in my purse? :blushing: (but not to the gym...)
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options

Had a similar experience but with sprint intervals and my quadriceps. It hurt like heck. I stopped running for a week and then warmed up ALOT and did some slow sprints (if you can do those) before I hit top speed. No problems this past week, but I am still wary. It sucked and I don't want to backslide more after my wrist injury last Oct.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing sharp pain in my right glute (right in the center of my butt cheek to be specific). It is deep and the sharp pain can be felt even when I just bend over to pick something up off the floor.
    Were it me, I would go to my chiropractor (if you have one) just to make sure there's nothing up with the lower spine. My mother gets a similar pain if one of her disks slips (happens more to her than to normal people, because she has a very weak back, but won't listen to me when I tell her she needs strength training, grrr :grumble: a 54 yo should NOT be calling herself "too old" to train).

Or, could just be something that will dissipate with time, rest and rolling.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Brand spankin' new to this program and pretty much a rookie. My first workout was today.

I sought out a trainer and asked her to show me the squat rack. It's a good thing she did because I had previously stood in front of the Smith machine. She actually recommended the Smith machine and I explained that I really did want the Squat rack. I watched her do a few and then tried my own. She said I went too far down the first time, so I adjusted accordingly. The mirror isn't really in a great place but I was able to turn in the squat rack a little bit to see myself at an angle that would help me see how far I was going down.

My daughter's friend's dad was there and he said that my squats looked great, but that what helped him in the beginning was dragging a bench over into the squat rack so that he knew how far he was squatting.

Then a co-worker came over and chatted me up, so I rested about a minute too long in between my warm-up sets.

Then my Body Pump instructor came over and chatted it up while urging me to continue as we chatted. She said that it looked like the bar was too easy for me. 45 did feel light because I already load up 50 when I'm doing high rep low weight in Body Pump but I just wanted to ease into this and get familiar with the bar before starting to load.

Finally, I was left alone and finished my workout.

Barbell (just the bar - 45) squats. Warmups were 2x5, 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 and then the 5x5's
    Bench (just the bar - 45) press. Warmups were 2x5, 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 and then the 5x5's
    Barbell Row I used the straight barbells that already have weights on them. They did not have a 45. So I did my warmup sets at 40. 2x5, 1x3, 1x2 and then my 5x5's with a 50.

I did not feel breathless like I do in Body Pump but I think that's to be expected until I start loading on heavier weights. I did enjoy myself and look forward to my Tuesday workout B. I will be taking my Ipod next time and hopefully can kind of focus in without too much interference. :laugh: