Just Started Atkins - Share Your Experiences

Options
So I started Atkins recently (4/28/14) and was hoping you guys could share your experiences and how much weight youve lost. I currently weigh 317 and my goal is 180-200. Im in induction and im not cheating. Im tired of being "the big guy."

Replies

• mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Today is day 10 for me...I've not lost any weight in the last few days, but prior to that I lost almost 4 kilos in the first week! Water weight I know.

I have never had more energy in my life. I'm no longer bloated. I'm not having cravings and I am ALWAYS full. It's hard to eat all the carbs in a day. Normally I eat a piece of red capsicum after dinner to add some. I'm eating a lot of protein so it's making me feel really full.

I've been following the Atkins page up until now. Gods it's hard to use! I used to use MFP for over a year counting calories and lost 30 kilos, but the weight has gradually been creeping back on, so I'm giving Atkins a go. Counting carbs is so much easier than counting calories.

I've been including nuts too, but only because in the 'old days', Atkins allowed nuts on induction, so I'm not sure if they do or don't any more. Otherwise it's a very easy 'diet' to do. If I'm out and get hungry I stop somewhere and pick up some cold meat or cheese to tide me over til I get home.

And I log absolutely everything I put in my mouth. I've noticed tonight a few small discrepancies between here and the Atkins page though.
  • VaporHero
    VaporHero Posts: 33
    Options
    That's awesome mooie70! Yeah, this is day 5 for me and I feel "different." It's so hard to explain, but I feel like I'm losing weight. I will weigh myself Sunday at my parents as I don't own a scale. But anyways, I feel a little tired, I guess it varies person to person, but I still feel that sensation that I'm losing weight. I guess we will have to wait and see. My cravings haven't been bad at all. I am eating only meats and veggies for now. I have about 117lbs to lose, so I'll probably be on induction for a while. Just last night I had my first sugar craving, so my fitness coach who's a former YMCA trainer told me I could indulge in ONE diet beverage. Probably not the best choice, but I will probably only drink one every few days just to satisfy those cravings. Best of luck to you my friend and thank you so much for being the first one to write me!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 lbs in 90 days. If you have 100 to lose, you will see a big difference right away. Very excited for you! Good luck!!!
  • VaporHero
    Options
    Thanks christineelli! And congratulations! That's really awesome :)
  • cnm81600
    cnm81600 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

Today is day two for me and I've felt really hungry on and off....right now I'm really full. How many calories are you guys logging?? I was told not to worry during induction but I don't want to go over 1800. How many of you have had success and what are your secrets?? I can see eggs getting old for breakfast really fast. What do you guys have?? I was considering steak one morning....I think that sounds like a plan.

Can you give you give an example of a daily meal plan??

Pork rinds have been saving me in the evening. I always tend to crave something crunchy.
  • VaporHero
    Options
    I have lost 30 lbs in 90 days. If you have 100 to lose, you will see a big difference right away. Very excited for you! Good luck!!!

Believe it or not, I would give anything to be your starting weight. Being big is hard. Limits what you can do with your kids, and that is heart breaking. Thanks again for your kind words. Good luck!
  • VaporHero
    Options
    Hello All,

Today is day two for me and I've felt really hungry on and off....right now I'm really full. How many calories are you guys logging?? I was told not to worry during induction but I don't want to go over 1800. How many of you have had success and what are your secrets?? I can see eggs getting old for breakfast really fast. What do you guys have?? I was considering steak one morning....I think that sounds like a plan.

Pork rinds have been saving me in the evening. I always tend to crave something crunchy.

Keep me posted on your progress please. Im very excited for you.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I started at 385, i am now 318, I still have a long ways to go, but only atkins seems to give me long term weight loss, I always fall off of calorie counting, and atkins for me has kept the weight off that I have lost so far,
  • VaporHero
    Options
    I started at 385, i am now 318, I still have a long ways to go, but only atkins seems to give me long term weight loss, I always fall off of calorie counting, and atkins for me has kept the weight off that I have lost so far,

Would you mind sharing an example of a daily meal routine?
  • mooie70
    Options
    I had a sugar craving once in the last 2 weeks and helped myself to a zero coke...and was almost blown away with how sickly sweet it was. I was like a crazy thing running up and down the hallway making funny noises and my son was laughing at me :laugh:

I want to lose about 35 kilos, which is about 77 pounds I think? Not totally sure. I still wont be at my ideal weight, but I will be very happy with that.

Always around if you need a friend x
    That's awesome mooie70! Yeah, this is day 5 for me and I feel "different." It's so hard to explain, but I feel like I'm losing weight. I will weigh myself Sunday at my parents as I don't own a scale. But anyways, I feel a little tired, I guess it varies person to person, but I still feel that sensation that I'm losing weight. I guess we will have to wait and see. My cravings haven't been bad at all. I am eating only meats and veggies for now. I have about 117lbs to lose, so I'll probably be on induction for a while. Just last night I had my first sugar craving, so my fitness coach who's a former YMCA trainer told me I could indulge in ONE diet beverage. Probably not the best choice, but I will probably only drink one every few days just to satisfy those cravings. Best of luck to you my friend and thank you so much for being the first one to write me!
  • mooie70
    Options
    cnm if you're hungry, eat protein...Atkins can be a bit of an expensive way to eat because meat is quite expensive and you really do have to be organised. Always have protein at home to eat. Counting calories as well as doing Atkins probably isn't going to work too well to be honest. You must have a certain amount of oil/fat on Atkins and as you probably already know, they as well as protein are high in calories. It's scientifically proven, don't muddle with it. I've read time and time again it's people who try and adjust Atkins that fail and then go on to say the program doesn't work.

I keep ham in the fridge, and boiled eggs. Today I roasted a whole chicken before breakfast and have been nibbling away at it. One day last week I had a piece of rump steak for breakfast and then a salad a bit later on. Other days I've had pork chops lol. It certainly changes everything you think you know about eating doesn't it? :)
    Hello All,

• TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Started August 27th, 2013 @ 432 and now at 286. Amazing how time has flown which really helped as i remember my first day of how daunting it was seeing those triple digit numbers to lose. not any more. take it one day and lb at a time cause it will add up.
    My goal is 197-200.
  • VaporHero
    Options
    Started August 27th, 2013 @ 432 and now at 286. Amazing how time has flown which really helped as i remember my first day of how daunting it was seeing those triple digit numbers to lose. not any more. take it one day and lb at a time cause it will add up.
    My goal is 197-200.

Wow, great job!
  • VaporHero
    Options
    quote]
    I keep ham in the fridge, and boiled eggs. Today I roasted a whole chicken before breakfast and have been nibbling away at it. One day last week I had a piece of rump steak for breakfast and then a salad a bit later on. Other days I've had pork chops lol. It certainly changes everything you think you know about eating doesn't it? :)

It really does. Meat, meat, veggies, salad, more meat. I went to golden corral buffet yesterday and I was surprised how many choices of food I could actually eat. I had some steak, ham, crab, shrimp and chicken with some veggies and a diet pepsi. Down 13lbs since I started a week ago.
  • mooie70
    Options
    ^^ Awesome effort...now I have to go calculate that into kilos ;)
  • Melistia
    Melistia Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had done low calorie diets before and my doctor recently advised me to try Atkins. I had a terrible battle with a medicine I was on that caused me to gain... While on it I couldn't lose :/ So she said because my body is used to the low calories to try Atkins. It seems like a great diet and I have done much research before getting started. I would like to know what are the normal every day foods people incorporate into the diet?? I'm a working mother and some of the meal planning just seems too expensive. I am a simple gal and like my food that way as well :-)
  • DevWall44
    DevWall44 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of canned chicken and tuna. Sometimes i will mix the chicken up with an avocado, sounds weird but tastes amazing, or hot sauce. I also like to snack on pepperoni and ham slices, cheesesticks, and pork rhines. As far as meat I try and see what's on sale and buy that. I also love to grill burgers and wrap them in lettuce instead of a bun. My sweet treat is whipped cream in the aerosole can, i just fill my mouth up when Im craving something sweet, LOL. Also, sugar free jello is good too.

I also try and eat a lot of broccoli and cucumbers. Salads are good too - gotta love the fact you can use full flavored Ranch!!
    Good Luck :smile:
  • VaporHero
    Options
    ^^ Awesome effort...now I have to go calculate that into kilos ;)

Its 5.8 kilos
  • VaporHero
    Options
    Heres a good lb to kg converter app for android. It's called "pounds to kilograms converter."

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gnu.pounds2kilo.android
  • pncooper
    pncooper Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Are you still having success VaporHero? Wanting to try it is but I'm still a little skeptical.