Macr Question

Options
DevWall44
DevWall44 Posts: 25 Member
Today is my first day using MFP to track my carbs. I've logged all I plan on eating today and am wondering if this is OK. I've only been paying attention to my carb count. I was looking at a lot of the past posts on this board and realized I wans't doing it quite right so do i need to eat less protein and more fat? Or does that matter? I'm confused. HELP, please :)

Carbs: Total 15
Goal 25
Remaining: 10

Protein: Total 156
Goal 151
Remaining: -5

Fat: Total 44
Goal 145
Remaining 90

Replies

• christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I couldn't see what you logged in, but yes, I would suggest less protein and more fat. Keeping your carbs under 20 is great. Set your fat percentage to 80, protein to 15% and carbs to 5% and see what you get.

Good luck!
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Agreeing with the above poster. Your fuel has to come from somewhere, and protein is an inefficient source. The body prefers either carbs or fats. Carbs are great for fast fuel and energy, but when your body transitions to fat for fuel, you'll notice a difference. Increase the fats by eating olive oil, avocado, nuts, cheeses etc (or whatever fat fits in your current goals) to help increase satisfaction from your food.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    How do you set a protein/fat/carbs ratio into your daily logging? I can't find how to do that anywhere...on the Atkins page it automatically shows you a graph of your percentages, but that's about the only good thing that site has I reckon :(
  • DevWall44
    Options
    Mooie70 go to My Home - Goals - Change Goals and this is where you can change your macros for the day. Thanks!

I'm having a hard time eating less protien and more fat.... So much so that I'm beginning to want to go back to low cal which is no good either because i'm always hungry on low cal. :embarassed:
  • mooie70
    Options
    Oh wow...thanks Dev. I didn't know you could do that in all the years I've used this site. Ha!

I could never go back to calorie counting after doing Atkins. I'm just eating too well and still losing and feeling better than I ever have.

For me, even when I'm not losing I still consider the whole thing. I have more energy. I have no mood swings caused by blood sugars caused by sugars/carbs. I have no carb headaches. My body 'feels' different. Still fat but it feels better somehow. And the weight comes off even if you're having a slump. Gradually and happy is better for me than being hungry and anal about counting calories.

There are some good hints on the Atkins website about getting enough protein in. And the beauty about that page is they have the actual people who run the page, qualified health workers, answer your questions. But I use this to log.

I've tried a few different things to get all I need in. Normally for me it's carbs I lack, so I'm beginning to eat grilled veges with my breakfast, things like I'll throw some spinach in with the bacon, or some asparagus. Or just half a tomato and then eat a salad as my next big meal. My meals don't so much exist any more. I eat when I think I should or when I get hungry which is never.

Don't give up :flowerforyou:
    Mooie70 go to My Home - Goals - Change Goals and this is where you can change your macros for the day. Thanks!

I'm having a hard time eating less protien and more fat.... So much so that I'm beginning to want to go back to low cal which is no good either because i'm always hungry on low cal. :embarassed:
  • mooie70
    Options
    Oh...that will teach me to put my glasses on! You're eating enough protein! Ha! The fat thing is a worry for all of us at the beginning I think...because in our heads we believe it's 'wrong'. But scientifically Atkins is proven, and you NEED the fat/oil. My take on it is that when I eat fat on bacon, and I nibble at a little animal fat if it's rendered and cooked well. And I never trim meat, just cook it as is even if I don't eat the fat attached in the end, and I add olive oil or coconut oil to the pan, and I drizzle a little bit of olive and some lemon juice over my salads, and I'm eating full fat everything and including things like feta, baby mozzarella...as long as you have a teaspoon of oil in your frypan/salad I think you should be ok no matter what actually comes up on your food diary? What I'm saying is that I believe we eat more than we know? What are your thoughts on this?
  • DevWall44
    Options
    It's pretty hard for me to get into that mindset but I know that you are right. I've just been doing low fat/low cal for so long that it's hard for me to do. Most days I am way too high on protein and too low on fat. Yesterday was a bad day for me. I didn't have the best day and I ate comfort food :( Too bad it wasn't as comforting as I thought, LOL.

Today is a new day though and I am back on track :) I have my meals all planned out for the day (heck the week) and I am going to stick to it. Thanks so much for the support! I appreciate it.
  • getskinnywithfe
    Options
    I had a bad day yesterday myself. In terms of fat without protein, butter and oils will be your friend. Melt up butter and then mix it in your egg mixture, plus butter in the pan. Cream cheese clouds and nothing but cream cheese, butter and sweetener of your choice. Meant to be a treat/fat bomb so be careful, they're very addictive.

I butter everything. Bake your meats in butter and then throw some butter on at the table! Add butter to your veggies and don't skimp either. I made asparagus the other night and smothered them in a tbsp of butter.

You can do it!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I love a good steak with butter and blue cheese added to it!