satisfied

Options
StacyRenee77
StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
How long do you stay satisfied between each meal on keto?

Replies

• tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Let's put it this way, this is definitely a way of eating that you'll sometimes "forget" to eat, it is that satiating once you've reached a ketogenic state. You'll find yourself having to be more vigilant about keeping your calories up in the right range more than anything else. I can go anywhere from 4-8 hours between meals and usually don't feel hungry at all. During the week I do breakfast/lunch within a span of about 5 hours, but usually don't eat dinner until 8 hours or so after lunch. Some days I have some nuts or a piece of cheese between meals for a snack, but only if I'm getting hunger cues. Weekends can be more challenging to get enough fuel in, I tend to get totally wrapped up in projects or activities and because I'm not hungry I don't want to stop to eat.

It's a nice problem to have though, the not being hungry... ;-)
  • StacyRenee77
    Options
    Let's put it this way, this is definitely a way of eating that you'll sometimes "forget" to eat, it is that satiating once you've reached a ketogenic state. You'll find yourself having to be more vigilant about keeping your calories up in the right range more than anything else. I can go anywhere from 4-8 hours between meals and usually don't feel hungry at all. During the week I do breakfast/lunch within a span of about 5 hours, but usually don't eat dinner until 8 hours or so after lunch. Some days I have some nuts or a piece of cheese between meals for a snack, but only if I'm getting hunger cues. Weekends can be more challenging to get enough fuel in, I tend to get totally wrapped up in projects or activities and because I'm not hungry I don't want to stop to eat.

It's a nice problem to have though, the not being hungry... ;-)

Really like reading this!!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I can go 12-16 hrs between meals, some times 20 or more hours with out feeling hungry.
  • StacyRenee77
    Options
    I can go 12-16 hrs between meals, some times 20 or more hours with out feeling hungry.

Wow I really like that
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I am almost never hungry now...and i mean never. I usually only eat because i know i should. I guess that's a good problem.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot less hungry than before. I don't feel the urge to snack. I don't crave sweets at all. I can stick to my TDEE -20% whereas before it was all based on willpower.
  • Caeyla
    Caeyla Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the same "problem" as headofphat. I have to work on eating enough because I'm hardly ever hungry now. I certainly ain't complaining about it though--the amount of food I can put away when not on keto is ridiculous!
  • StacyRenee77
    Options
    This is great!!
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm a lot less hungry than before. I don't feel the urge to snack. I don't crave sweets at all. I can stick to my TDEE -20% whereas before it was all based on willpower.

I feel exactly like this!! My problem is I find that whether I'm hungry or not I'm eating out of habit. Also I'm worried about not hitting my macros so I'm eating when I'm not hungry. I'm never sure if its better to not eat and be below my numbers for the day or eat when not hungry.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm never sure if its better to not eat and be below my numbers for the day or eat when not hungry.

I find for me it all balances out over the course of a week. I have days that I'm not hungry and stay below my calories, sometimes for a few days in a row. That doesn't last forever though, and I'll have a REALLY hungry day (you know, the kind where nothing but a 16oz ribeye steak will do) and may even go a bit over. I don't think anyone should force themselves to eat if they're truly not hungry, but you have to be honest with yourself and pay close attention to body clues (not just growling tummy but things like light-headedness, lethargy, irritability, headaches/body aches) and refeed when your body says to do that.
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Often half the day sometimes. I really have to force myself to try and eat somedays.
  • sarrajune
    sarrajune Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can agree with all of this. It's one of the best parts about Keto. I've always had really strong cravings and I think I must have crazy blood sugar highs and lows. Now I could go sub-500 calories I think and not notice it. I too eat mostly to try to hit my macros and not starve my body (and because the meat cheese and butter is good!) but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the desire I had to eat before...
  • shanniem1
    shanniem1 Posts: 35
    Options
    I am almost never "hungry" but I struggle with my love of food and HABITS I need to break. Currently I started doing a morning fast - whereas before I would have a large 700 calorie breakfast (even though I wasn't hungry) I am not just having a coffee with MCT oil/whipped cream and then saving my calories for later in the day, when I am actually hungry. I just struggle with poor habits of constant eating, I'm not actually hungry lol