Addicted

Options
nilushi
nilushi Posts: 16 Member
I have totally gotten addicted to sugar & sugar high... I miss being less heavy... I want to lose my stupid ugly over weight & become healthy.. But obviously it's not working since i keep stuffing everything I see, gobbling up anything I can get my hands on.. This is freaking craziii... I think i need professional help... Wish there was a way...

Replies

• colorama91
    colorama91 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    oh girl, I send you a hug!
    I understand how you feel. Food with sugar is like the worst kind. it's so yummy but on the other hand not healthy.

Maybe it helps if you don't have that stuff at home?
    do you feel bored? maybe you're kinda bored and use it to have something to do?

Either way, it's not easy to get of that train. i know that for myself :(
  • nilushi
    nilushi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ohhh thanks.. It's good to know I'm not the only one addicted like this.. I feel useless, not having the strength to say no to sugar.. It's quite disheartening to know that you don't have the self-strength to say no...

I do have stuff at home, even if not, i make sure I go out & eat at least.. When that need comes, I will stuff myself with anything..

Hoping this phase will go away soon..
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    A couple of people suggested to have one day a week where they eat it. I am not experienced with this but have
    implemented it as of last Saturday and seem to be doing quite well. The person who suggested it had lost 100 lbs and another person had lost 50 lbs. doing the same.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Portion control may be your answer.

I avoid most sugar/ highly refined carbs becasue they are useless calories, nutritionally poor.

I eat modest portions of it and fit it into my day, particularly in the evenings as I seem to look for that stuff most then.

I stopped eating it completely for more than a month last sept. and found that 'detoxing' seemed to reduce the cravings.

I try and feel my feelings before eating anything like that as its often a cue that I'm upset or bored and if I don't eat those feelings I actually work out whats bothering me.
  • blueeyesal
    blueeyesal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, and I used to never eat sugar or junk (except as a kid and a teenager) and it wasn't until about a year ago my hormones and endocrine system got really out of whack, and I got really strong cravings for sweets, and after giving into those cravings over the past year I have clearly become a sugar addict and as u know it's really hard to get out of the cycle, because it's more than just a case of willpower, sugar has been proven to be highly addictive to our brains and send out more reward hormones like serotonin and dopamine than even some drugs do. Bran scan images have shown that the brains of sugar addicts are almost identical to those with cocaine or heroin addictions. This doesn't mean it's impossible to overcome it but it will just be a lot harder. The first step is accepting yourself how you are now. If you beat yourself up and tell yourself you hate everything about you, then it will be much harder to detox off the sugar. Know that you aren't alone and a good portion of the US is also the same way!
    :)