May workout check-in; May your squats be deep and plentiful

Options

Replies

• lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Great, long, late workout for me. Alone in the basement with podcasts :D

Still off the SL schedule, but that's okay.

Squats - warm ups galore. 20 or 30 sumo air squats. Some stretching. then 45 2x5, 65 2x5, 95 1x5, 135 1x5 and finally 165 3x5. I actually meant to do 160. I am terrible at barbell math. Anyway, it felt really good! Just a little bit of The Weird Pain, but manageable. I am liking 3x5 :D. Just 10 pounds under where I deloaded. I think I will aim to be back there in June so will give myself lots of time.

I did pushups 5x5. Pushups are pretty hard for me so....

DL 135 2x5, 205 1x5 and, for fun I did two reps of 255 :D. And then felt like a total badass.

Some core work and curls that were too light but I was too tired to add plates.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options

Squat 67.5kg 5x5 (148.81 lbs. Hard! I'll keep this weight for the whole week)
    Bench 42.5kg (93.69 lbs) I did 3x4 with a spotter then deloaded to 40kg and did 2x4. Kind of terrible but still better than last time.
    Barbell row 37.5kg 5x5 (82.67lbs) after a major deload, I'm finally doing it right and adding weight again.

Upright barbell row 22.5kg 3x8 easy
    Dumbbell side lateral raise 5kg 2x8 then 6kg 1x7
    Single-arm dumbbell bent-over row 10kg 3x8
    Plank 3x45
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Brand spankin' new to this program and pretty much a rookie. My first workout was today.

I sought out a trainer and asked her to show me the squat rack. It's a good thing she did because I had previously stood in front of the Smith machine. She actually recommended the Smith machine and I explained that I really did want the Squat rack. I watched her do a few and then tried my own. She said I went too far down the first time, so I adjusted accordingly. The mirror isn't really in a great place but I was able to turn in the squat rack a little bit to see myself at an angle that would help me see how far I was going down.

My daughter's friend's dad was there and he said that my squats looked great, but that what helped him in the beginning was dragging a bench over into the squat rack so that he knew how far he was squatting.

Then a co-worker came over and chatted me up, so I rested about a minute too long in between my warm-up sets.

Then my Body Pump instructor came over and chatted it up while urging me to continue as we chatted. She said that it looked like the bar was too easy for me. 45 did feel light because I already load up 50 when I'm doing high rep low weight in Body Pump but I just wanted to ease into this and get familiar with the bar before starting to load.

Finally, I was left alone and finished my workout.

Barbell (just the bar - 45) squats. Warmups were 2x5, 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 and then the 5x5's
    Bench (just the bar - 45) press. Warmups were 2x5, 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 and then the 5x5's
    Barbell Row I used the straight barbells that already have weights on them. They did not have a 45. So I did my warmup sets at 40. 2x5, 1x3, 1x2 and then my 5x5's with a 50.

I did not feel breathless like I do in Body Pump but I think that's to be expected until I start loading on heavier weights. I did enjoy myself and look forward to my Tuesday workout B. I will be taking my Ipod next time and hopefully can kind of focus in without too much interference. :laugh:

Welcome!

Yes, the bar will probably seem easy if you have been doing body pump for a while. As for depth, you should be aiming for hitting parallel (or just below) where the top of the thigh is parallel to the ground. If you really want to judge your depth, get a form video. Looking in the mirror can mess up your mechanics and throw your balance off if you really have to turn to look in it. A video will allow you to see things better and even pause at the bottom to evaluate. Box squats can help you get the feel for hitting the right depth.

@liza - 255 does deserve you feeling like a badass! Good lift!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    After eating ALL the foodz this weekend (and I'm not kidding when I say ALL), this morning's workout felt great! Between 2 cookouts, a food truck rodeo, five guys, and ice cream from a local dairy farm, all those calories were put to use hitting the weights. Mmhmm food. :drinker:

Squats 125lbs 3x5
    Rows 68lbs 3x5
    Bench 68lbs 3x5
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing sharp pain in my right glute (right in the center of my butt cheek to be specific). It is deep and the sharp pain can be felt even when I just bend over to pick something up off the floor.
    Were it me, I would go to my chiropractor (if you have one) just to make sure there's nothing up with the lower spine. My mother gets a similar pain if one of her disks slips (happens more to her than to normal people, because she has a very weak back, but won't listen to me when I tell her she needs strength training, grrr :grumble: a 54 yo should NOT be calling herself "too old" to train).

Or, could just be something that will dissipate with time, rest and rolling.
    I've been thinking about getting a sports massage... I rolled it out last night before bed and it feels pretty good today. I'm doing cycling class tonight, so we'll see how squats go tomorrow!
  • Claude1985
    Claude1985 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When you are writing your weights for the work out, is it the total including the bar? or just the weights added to the bar?

Thanks!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    When you are writing your weights for the work out, is it the total including the bar? or just the weights added to the bar?

Thanks!

Total including bar (and cuffs) included for me.
  • fourluvbugs
    fourluvbugs Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You are all badasses. Seriously. I love it!

I started SL last week and so far I adore it. I look forward to going to the gym which has never, ever happened before. I started with a trainer last Monday to teach me form and I've been watching lots and lots of form videos because I want to do it right for maximum benefits and to stay injury free.

I worry about my squatting depth -- the trainer seems to think that since I'm not a football player I can slack a bit. He thought my depth was fine but not sure I trust him. So today I found a stool that is a few inches lower than the bottom of my knee caps, parked it behind me, and tapped my butt on it at the bottom of the squat. Sound ok?

My weights are pretty light compared to what the rest of you are lifting, but I'm new and not strong, so they are starting to feel a little heavy to me. Do I count the weight of the bar? Its 35 pounds.... there's a 45 pound one as well, but I'm not there yet.

So here's where I was today:
    Squats 5x5 @ 40 pounds (including the 35 pounds from the bar)
    Overhead Press 5x5x35 pounds (ditto)
    Deadlift 1x5x45 pounds (same)

For deadlifts I'm setting the catch bar of the power rack (bet that's not the proper name for it) at the lowest setting and lifting from the top of that since there aren't any big plates on the bar. Should I be lifting it from the ground? Sorry for the new kid questions, I'm a fast learner, so hopefully you won't have to deal with these from me for long.
  • fourluvbugs
    Options

Thanks!

Total including bar (and cuffs) included for me.

I was wondering this as well. Thank you!
  • hananah89
    Options

For deadlifts I'm setting the catch bar of the power rack (bet that's not the proper name for it) at the lowest setting and lifting from the top of that since there aren't any big plates on the bar. Should I be lifting it from the ground? Sorry for the new kid questions, I'm a fast learner, so hopefully you won't have to deal with these from me for long.

We all start somewhere, so progress is still great!
    This is what I do, but I'm at the big girl plates (45lbs) and use this way so I can load the bar easier before putting it on the ground. When I was starting out I would take a step (it was probably no more than 6inches off the ground) just to prop the bar up enough so I could position myself.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You are all badasses. Seriously. I love it!

I started SL last week and so far I adore it. I look forward to going to the gym which has never, ever happened before. I started with a trainer last Monday to teach me form and I've been watching lots and lots of form videos because I want to do it right for maximum benefits and to stay injury free.

I worry about my squatting depth -- the trainer seems to think that since I'm not a football player I can slack a bit. He thought my depth was fine but not sure I trust him. So today I found a stool that is a few inches lower than the bottom of my knee caps, parked it behind me, and tapped my butt on it at the bottom of the squat. Sound ok?

My weights are pretty light compared to what the rest of you are lifting, but I'm new and not strong, so they are starting to feel a little heavy to me. Do I count the weight of the bar? Its 35 pounds.... there's a 45 pound one as well, but I'm not there yet.

So here's where I was today:
    Squats 5x5 @ 40 pounds (including the 35 pounds from the bar)
    Overhead Press 5x5x35 pounds (ditto)
    Deadlift 1x5x45 pounds (same)

That depth for squats sounds fine. Some people preach *kitten* to grass, some try to hit it, and then some people think you shouldn't break 90 degrees (that,s not even parallel!). If you hit below your knees you're low enough to get the stretch reflex which is what you're looing for to engage your hips/hamstrings/posterior chain into the lift as opposed to half squats where almost all that work are your quads :)

As for the deadlift, what you're doing consists more of a rack pull. If your power racks are anything like the ones I have at the gym, the lowest setting is about knee height. What you'll want to do instead is unrack the bar and lower it down a lil under mid shin and then lift. If you can find steps, boxes, blocks or plates that would elevate the plates you,re using to that height it's better to use them. Once you're at 25s on each side (95 total - you'll get there very fast) usually pulling from the floor shouldn't be too much of a problem, even if that's more of a deficit deadlift. You're still better off with blocks if you can find them since a huge part of the deads is getting that bar off of the floor and going for good form is a priority. If your gym has bumper plates, definitely use those asap

And don,t worry about comparing yourself to any of us. This is a you vs you thing :) Wherever your mind is set to go, you'll get there in time!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Brand spankin' new to this program and pretty much a rookie. My first workout was today.

I sought out a trainer and asked her to show me the squat rack. It's a good thing she did because I had previously stood in front of the Smith machine. She actually recommended the Smith machine and I explained that I really did want the Squat rack. I watched her do a few and then tried my own. She said I went too far down the first time, so I adjusted accordingly. The mirror isn't really in a great place but I was able to turn in the squat rack a little bit to see myself at an angle that would help me see how far I was going down.

My daughter's friend's dad was there and he said that my squats looked great, but that what helped him in the beginning was dragging a bench over into the squat rack so that he knew how far he was squatting.

Then a co-worker came over and chatted me up, so I rested about a minute too long in between my warm-up sets.

Then my Body Pump instructor came over and chatted it up while urging me to continue as we chatted. She said that it looked like the bar was too easy for me. 45 did feel light because I already load up 50 when I'm doing high rep low weight in Body Pump but I just wanted to ease into this and get familiar with the bar before starting to load.

Finally, I was left alone and finished my workout.

Barbell (just the bar - 45) squats. Warmups were 2x5, 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 and then the 5x5's
    Bench (just the bar - 45) press. Warmups were 2x5, 1x5, 1x3, 1x2 and then the 5x5's
    Barbell Row I used the straight barbells that already have weights on them. They did not have a 45. So I did my warmup sets at 40. 2x5, 1x3, 1x2 and then my 5x5's with a 50.

I did not feel breathless like I do in Body Pump but I think that's to be expected until I start loading on heavier weights. I did enjoy myself and look forward to my Tuesday workout B. I will be taking my Ipod next time and hopefully can kind of focus in without too much interference. :laugh:

Good job! It is best to start with bar.

My weights include the bar.

Today was a much better workout.

Squats 5x5 150 lbs
    Ohp 3x5 50 lbs
    Deads 1x5 120 lbs, 1x5 180 pounds-- this was hard. I am not aure what I can even say about my form. I have no idea. My brain could only focus on one thing and that was how heavy it was!!

1 mile run.
  • fourluvbugs
    Options
    That depth for squats sounds fine. Some people preach *kitten* to grass, some try to hit it, and then some people think you shouldn't break 90 degrees (that,s not even parallel!). If you hit below your knees you're low enough to get the stretch reflex which is what you're looing for to engage your hips/hamstrings/posterior chain into the lift as opposed to half squats where almost all that work are your quads :)

As for the deadlift, what you're doing consists more of a rack pull. If your power racks are anything like the ones I have at the gym, the lowest setting is about knee height. What you'll want to do instead is unrack the bar and lower it down a lil under mid shin and then lift. If you can find steps, boxes, blocks or plates that would elevate the plates you,re using to that height it's better to use them. Once you're at 25s on each side (95 total - you'll get there very fast) usually pulling from the floor shouldn't be too much of a problem, even if that's more of a deficit deadlift. You're still better off with blocks if you can find them since a huge part of the deads is getting that bar off of the floor and going for good form is a priority. If your gym has bumper plates, definitely use those asap

Yes! I definitely want to get my posterior involved in the squats. Maybe I can find something just slightly lower to tap on.

Thanks for your reply. No bumper plates at my gym, unfortunately. I've looked around for something to set the bar on but I can't find two things of equal height that are close tot he "right" height. However, the lowest setting on this particular rack is around mid shin, so maybe that will work for now. Hopefully I'll get to the 95 pounds quickly and not have to worry about it anymore. :)
  • Mommy23js
    Mommy23js Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Good Workout last night! Started SL in early March and I've just switched to 5x3. Feeling slightly guilty about this (why?? I have no idea) . Anyway, I did, and I have to say that I loved having time to do some core work, and assisted pullups and ALSO having time to treadmill walk without being at the gym for over 2 hrs!!! So I am really trying to lose the unreasonable guilt.

Sooooo...it went like this:

Squats: warmup according to Warmupreps
    165 (this was an oops--I had de-loaded here before): 4 rep
    145:2x5

BP: warmup according to Warmupreps
    95:5x3

Barbell Row:warmup according to Warmupreps
    85:5x3
  • Claude1985
    Claude1985 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Alright! Then I'm lifting heavier than I thought! (Yes for me!!)
    Today is my rest day. Yesterday was work out B for me
    squats 5x105lb
    OP 5x50lb (these were hard!)
    Deadlift 4x140lb (couldn't get the 5th one) I think I will deload to 130lb next time and progresse with 2.5lb afterwards since 140 is pretty much my max right now
    4 bodyweight chin ups
  • hananah89
    Options

Yes! I definitely want to get my posterior involved in the squats. Maybe I can find something just slightly lower to tap on.

Thanks for your reply. No bumper plates at my gym, unfortunately. I've looked around for something to set the bar on but I can't find two things of equal height that are close tot he "right" height. However, the lowest setting on this particular rack is around mid shin, so maybe that will work for now. Hopefully I'll get to the 95 pounds quickly and not have to worry about it anymore. :)

The step I used I just stuck under the middle of the bar turned to look like a diamond. Then balanced the middle of the bar on the corner facing me. Then you don't need to find 2 things the same height!
  • fourluvbugs
    Options
    The step I used I just stuck under the middle of the bar turned to look like a diamond. Then balanced the middle of the bar on the corner facing me. Then you don't need to find 2 things the same height!

D'oh!!! Why didn't I think of that?! Awesome, thank you!!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Awesome workouts everyone! Welcome to the newcomers...you'll be glad you came :flowerforyou:

Like hwilmott, I ate a lot this weekend and my workout was really good.

Squats: 160 lbs 3x5 Did 8 at 135 lbs. as part of my warm up
    OHP: 70 lbs 3x5 Not really too hard. I struggled a little on the last rep of all sets, but I got that bad boy up.
    Deadlift: 225 lbs 1x5 I figured I'd get all of these, now on to my nemesis of 235 lbs on Friday :devil:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Lots of good lifting going on! I got back to the barbell today after my brief hiatus due to medical things and a switch in programs. So I'm going to add even more confusion into the mix by posting my Strong Curves workouts!

Today was day 1 and I had to get used to the new lifts/accessory work. It went down like this....

Superset 1:

Barbell Glute Bridges 3x20 @ 65 lbs
    Single-arm bent over DB rows 3x8 (each) @ 25 lbs

Superset 2:
    Box squats 3x5 @ 95 lbs
    incline DB bench press 3x8 @ 20 lbs

then.....

American Deadlifts 3x5 @ 115 lbs
    Cable standing abduction 1x20 @ 10 lbs
    RKC plank 60 seconds
    Side plank 30 seconds each side

And then I ran a mile in 8:00 flat!!!

There were some exercises like the rows and the incline bench that I could have done more weight on, but I just wanted to get the feel for the program and figured I'll be able to increase next time. Plus it has been a few weeks since I was lifting more than once a week.

Oh and box squats are no joke when you don't have that bounce at the bottom. The first one I didn't think I'd make it up with the 95 lbs on....I thought I was deloading more than enough!
  • LisaPower123
    LisaPower123 Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Today was the start of week 6 for us.
    Squats 1x5@45 1x5@65 5x5@100
    Bench 1x5@45 1x5@65 5x5@75
    Barbell Row 5x5@80 I think I will stay here next time because my form didn't seem great, and I found it really heavy