Net Calories too low after exercise? this is good, right?

ginnyspencer1
ginnyspencer1 Posts: 16 Member
I've been eating keto for 2 months (170 to 160lbs) & am hype to have finally joined MFP today to help me knock out my final 15lbs! My target calorie intake each day is currently app. 1100 calories (80f/65p/20c). BUT...today I burned close to 500 calories in kettlebell exercises (I do 2x p wk), which on My Fitness Pal shows that after eating 1100 calories - burning 500 calories exercising = I only have 600 calories netted for the day. Is that ok? I really don't want to EAT the calories I exercised so I'm hoping this is cool... Anybody? :huh:

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    I am no expert, but from what I have read and learned on MFP, you should eat back your calories from exercise. The main reasons are 1) to avoid loss of muscle mass (your body will deplete your hard-earned muscle tissue if the body needs energy that you don't feed it) and 2) avoiding going into starvation mode, which will lower your metabolism. Search the forums for "eating back exercise calories" for the millions of posts on the topic :) good luck with the last 15 lbs. Take your time, though. It doesn't have to happen overnight. You have the rest of your life!
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    I've been eating keto for 2 months (170 to 160lbs) & am hype to have finally joined MFP today to help me knock out my final 15lbs! My target calorie intake each day is currently app. 1100 calories (80f/65p/20c). BUT...today I burned close to 500 calories in kettlebell exercises (I do 2x p wk), which on My Fitness Pal shows that after eating 1100 calories - burning 500 calories exercising = I only have 600 calories netted for the day. Is that ok? I really don't want to EAT the calories I exercised so I'm hoping this is cool... Anybody? :huh:

You probably want to read the recomp part of the ketogains FAQ:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_what_is_a_.22recomp.22_and_how_to_do_it_.28also_known_as_calorie_cycling.29

I don't eat back calories, in fact I don't log the exercise calories, I just cycle between low calories on days I don't lift and high calories in the form of coconut oil on days I lift with a specific weekly calorie deficit goal that it all evens out towards. I don't know if kettleball offers the same kind of strength exercise as lifting, so you'll have to look into that.