The Mental process of eating more?

Options
So I've been working on my reset for a couple weeks now, and as I'm getting to 1600 calories a day, I'm finding it tough to get up to that much without feeling "guilty." It doesn't help either that I still feel pretty full all the time and even when I'm hungry I'm bloated as well and find it hard to eat anything without a stomachache. Do I push on or am I eating too much? Is there any way to get past this point?

Replies

• KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough/too much fiber? Also, drinking water (maybe not with the meals; it can make you full before you've eaten enough), and light walks after meals helped me with bloating.

The mental adjustment is huge in a reset. At first you think that you're just crazy for trying, then you feel like you're about to bust out of your pants, but if you quiet that "small voice" that's making you feel guilty and stay the course, it's worth it. Try taking your mind off of food as soon as you finish eating a meal and meditate, read, go for a leisurely walk around the block, or talk to someone. Dwelling on the 500 calories you just ate and the 800 you have to eat for dinner isn't a really good idea...

It's also okay to stop at the 1,600 kcal mark for a couple weeks if you feel like you're pushing it. You shouldn't make yourself unduly uncomfortable! Getting to your TDEE can take as long as you need it to. :flowerforyou:
  • sarahorange55
    Options
    just keep going - its worth it the other side honestly!! I am 9 weeks in a feeling amazing and I am eating 2500 a day and quite honestly I cannot figure out how I ever ate 1200 or less !! Honestly keep at it and the feeling will come - its more mental than anything else - so try to put it out of your mind and just say you are doing this for 8 weeks so your body can just get over it :D Don't get me wrong boy were there bad days but the thought of going back to 1200/800 a day was not something I wanted to do!!

Good luck though!
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Just take this part of the process nice and slow. Don't raise your calories too quickly, and give your body plenty of time to adapt and adjust along the way. Also, seek out those foods that are more calorie-dense like nuts, nut butters, and avocado. These will add up quickly and aren't quite as filling as a big plate of food. It's also fine to eat full fat dairy - no need to eat fat free. Take it slow and easy and you will get there :-)
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It really is worth it to push through. I can still remember rolling around on my bed in tears because it felt so awful to eat 1500 cals, I was stuffed, bloated, guilty feeling and just plain miserable. But now I don't even worry so much about cals as I do about the fitness because I can eat pretty much anything until I'm satisfied and not gain weight (between 1800 - 2500 cals if I'm NOT exercising regularly, 2500+ if I am exercising regularly). I focus more on protein levels and fitness now.

You will get through it but it takes time so patience and perseverance are important. The cal dense foods like nuts and full fat dairy, etc are good advice. You can get your cals with less volume and that helps a lot in the early stages.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    I was just feeling frustrated because as soon as I up my calories, I get the same feeling all over again and it feels like square one. The worst is the bloating, because it makes me feel hungry and full at the same time, drinking a ton of water afterward does help. I've been swapping out low cal stuff for more calorie dense things as well
  • LauCo77
    LauCo77 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The mental aspect of eating to TDEE, or even working towards it, is the hardest part, I think. Hang in there, you seem to be doing everything correct. Also, try upping your protein. It's calorie-dense, makes you satisfied longer, but doesn't give that same super bloated feeling, for me, anyway.
  • sweetxsour35
    sweetxsour35 Posts: 177
    Options
    The mental aspect of eating to TDEE, or even working towards it, is the hardest part, I think. Hang in there, you seem to be doing everything correct. Also, try upping your protein. It's calorie-dense, makes you satisfied longer, but doesn't give that same super bloated feeling, for me, anyway.
    My appetite has exploded in the past few days, not sure why, but I guess I'll just roll with it. No sense in keeping myself hungry to meet a goal if the goal is to eat more in the first place.
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    That is totally normal - metabolism is starting to speed up! Normally, it just takes a couple of weeks to get over that overly full/over-stuffed period. Looks like you are there!