Atkins Induction - counting calories or not?

Options
Hey all! I'm restarting Atkins induction... When I did Atkins before (and had great success, but I think I'm a little more brainwashed now about calories and all that) I never tracked or counted anything. Since then I've gotten stuck on low calorie and everything else. So I guess the question is, when following the 2002 version of Atkins, do I NEED to count calories? I used MFP's set caloric level which was 1760 for my height/weight but it seems as if even with eating lots of fats and proteins and staying at or below 20g net, I'm starving. I am just starting (day 2) but I had always taken the "if you're hungry, eat acceptable foods) approach. But between MFP and my fitbit, I'm constantly seeing that I'm going over calories and it bothers me a little bit. I'm 28 and have never needed to count calories while doing Atkins in the past, though I know that I may need to watch them closer as I hit goal but do you watch your calories during Induction? I love Atkins but the combo of low carb and lower calorie, I'm hungry :(

EDIT: Please don't come on here and post "forget Atkins, just use MFP to calorie count and watch macros. I've done that... I've tried low calorie, I've done high protein, low carb. Atkins is the ONLY plan I have success on and that's just how it is for me. My doctors OK Atkins and I enjoy eating this way (when I don't focus on calories that is, right now I'm miserable and hungry!) and I'm not going to change back to something that I don't like. Thanks for respecting my choice. (posted because I see too many people get bashed for their lifestyle choice and I'm not dealing with that).

Replies

• EbonyAries
    EbonyAries Posts: 19
    Options
    Im on day 4 of induction, and MFP says I go over my limit of calories too. Im just going to ignore the calorie part, and see if I lose any weight. I only really use MFP to make sure I don't go over 20g carbs per day.
  • getskinnywithfe
    Options
    Thanks! Yesterday I stayed well under 20g net (21g total and 13 fiber, so really low lol) but I was over calories by 300! This morning I've already had over 300 calories, yet I'm starving, so I'm eating more eggs with butter lol. Its hard to ignore the calorie part when my fitbit and mfp are telling me how far over I am lol.
  • getskinnywithfe
    Options
    I lost weight with the WOE before (not ridiculously fast either, 40 lbs in 6 months) by eating over 2000 calories a day, but 20 or less carbs. So deep down I know calories don't matter and that I'm more tracking food to track carbs, not calories. But I see the big red number and it bugs me lol.