What I like about SB

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
South Beach is easy. Plain and simple. I like looking at a menu and just knowing what the best choices are (the app helps). While traveling I just know. In any restaurant I can easily decide what the best choices are. And then *I* can decide if that's what I'll eat. It usually is, because knowledge works that way.

I'm traveling now, and as always, it's a big help.

And of course: no counting needed. I don't get how counting, weighing, measuring isn't a diet (on here), but following some basic principles is.

Replies

• 4thoseilove
    Options
    I can't say whether or not I agree because I've just started. I'm guessing I will love the plan based on all the positive reviews on the SBD group!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I love SBD, too. It's so easy and it's the kind of plan I can work with forever.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It's great. You learn a few things and follow them and don't really have to count if you don't want to. On phase three, follow a few principles and don't fret food decisions at all, really.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I used to be fat not anymore, love SBD oh easy too :-)
  • Sharon468
    Sharon468 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like South Beach as well - as I often say, it's not "low carb" (except for Phase 1) but "low crap." However, I've discovered that along with generally following the SB principles, I also needed to start tracking, weighing and measuring in order to get my portion sizes under control. I am seeing a nutritionist, and she is very clear that just because something is healthy doesn't mean you can eat as much of it as you want. Well, I can with vegetables, but not so much with cheese and nuts. I am doing a lot better now that I'm journaling what I'm eating and making sure that a cup of cereal isn't a cup and a half and a quarter-cup of nuts isn't three quarters.

I've made a few small modifications to SB based on how I feel and what my nutritionist wants me to do. I don't do no-fat dairy anymore, I generally do reduced fat. And I don't believe in artificial sweeteners, so I don't have those.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I really like South Beach as well - as I often say, it's not "low carb" (except for Phase 1) but "low crap." However, I've discovered that along with generally following the SB principles, I also needed to start tracking, weighing and measuring in order to get my portion sizes under control. I am seeing a nutritionist, and she is very clear that just because something is healthy doesn't mean you can eat as much of it as you want. Well, I can with vegetables, but not so much with cheese and nuts. I am doing a lot better now that I'm journaling what I'm eating and making sure that a cup of cereal isn't a cup and a half and a quarter-cup of nuts isn't three quarters.

I've made a few small modifications to SB based on how I feel and what my nutritionist wants me to do. I don't do no-fat dairy anymore, I generally do reduced fat. And I don't believe in artificial sweeteners, so I don't have those.
    Great post. I understand lots of folks have to "count" at least for nuts and cheese. I count out nuts. Definitely. Nuts are one of my downfalls!
    I love saying Low Crap. I have been saying for years that I'm on a slow carb low crap diet. Given how I was raised, my switch to slow carb low crap was QUITE a change. 12 years later I can honestly say: I would NEVER go back. cheers!
  • Sharon468
    Sharon468 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "Slow carb low crap" - that's perfect!

I was fooling myself munching on small handfuls of nuts while at work and thinking I was still eating "healthy enough to lose." I was initially shocked at how few nuts 1/4 cup really are! Now, though, I measure them out and take them to work and only eat them as a planned snack when hungry. And now when I eat them, I put my full attention on them. What a difference! Quarter-cup is enough to satisfy me when eaten mindfully with full attention, and I'm not trying to satisfy junk food induced cravings.

It's been so interesting seeing my body's reactions to different foods post Phase 1. Turns out I can still successfully lose if I have a frozen yogurt one or two nights a week. I still wouldn't do that every day, but that doesn't trigger cravings even though it has added sugar. But I had some Chinese food over the weekend that triggered intense post-meal cravings, I think it was the hoisin sauce. So now I know. One of the other things I like about South Beach is the idea of paying attention to your own reaction to various foods, since everyone is different in terms of what will be OK and what triggers bad blood sugar reactions.

I was actually raised on a pretty healthy diet for the time of my childhood - for example, my mom did not believe in sugary soda when almost everyone else was drinking it. So naturally I left home and briefly rebelled some on that :) But I haven't had soda in many years now, I really like seltzer or sparking water, or I have a chilled pitcher of filtered water in the frig with slices of lemon. The only calories I want to drink now are the occasional glass of wine with dinner.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    It is great, isn't it? I learned so much about myself through this process.