The rare/random carb meal in your keto world

Options
SisterMable
SisterMable Posts: 40 Member
I've been (quite happily) doing keto 7-8 weeks now, and feel totally and completely adapted.

I've *also* been planning for the past 6 months to attend a really fancypants French meal and wine course, and know it will be silly not to taste many of the magnificent foods that will be there.

Though I plan to be moderate (perhaps a bite of the mushroom ravioli as a whole, then scrape out only the filling from the rest, etc.), I know I'll probably go over my 20 grams that day.

Probably in wine alone lol.

If I'm lucky ;)

So, all of that said... what should I expect as regards my body, keto adaption, etc., after this relatively carb-rich meal?

If I hop right back on low carb in the morning, should I expect I can get back into ketosis within 3-ish days?

Is there anything I can take (like digestive enzymes, chitosan, etc.) that will mitigate some of the carb effects?

Should I drink more water? Take extra fiber before and after? Chant and walk backwards over a bed of coals?

What's the best way for me to weather this delicious storm?

Mable

Replies

• snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would go and eat everything, ask for extra carbs if possible, drink the wine, eat the raviolis whole etc.

Then I would go to bed with a happy, full tummy and start again the next day. :bigsmile:

YMMV. :happy:
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    There is nothing you can do other than enjoying the meal and having fun. You eat carbs, the insulin goes up and you get kicked out of ketosis. SO just enjoy the meal and not worry about it.
  • SisterMable
    Options
    So basically what yer saying is "out is out" and just like any other situation, I'd be 'restarting' keto regardless, yes? "Amount of out" has no bearing?
  • rauljg42
    rauljg42 Posts: 30
    Options
    Eat away..as long as you go back to straight keto you will get back in ketosis in a few days. I cycle in and out weekly. I eat whatever I want from Friday afternoon until Saturday night. Been cycling for a month. However I am in maintenance stage and I bodybuild. I have held my weight steady. Not sure how cycling would work if you wanted to continue to lose weight though I would assume it would slow it down if you wanted to cycle weekly or on a regular basis.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It sort of does. . .but not enough to justify not taking a sip of that amazing wine or that wonderful cannoli or whatever it is. You're out of ketosis and your body is going to have work through those carbs. Think of it like a factory. You've fired up the engines and started the production of insulin. But once the factory is working, it's not a big deal for it to work through all the carbs you've given it. Yeah, your pancreas factory will shut down once it has worked through the carbs, so if there are less carbs, the turnaround is faster, but really, not such a big deal as the fact that the pancreas is again producing insulin.

Did that make any sense?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will be kicked out on the day. How fast you can come back depends on how keto adapted you are, exercise etc. It usually shouldn't take too long for you to get back. Just go have fun, don't worry about it.
  • SisterMable
    Options
    Yes - super duper awesome. THANK YOU ALL OF YOUZE GUIZE!

I'll try to remember everything and estimate portions because that will be hilarious in my diary. ;)
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Yep, once you are out - you have to restart the ketosis - there are no levels, just in and out -- so I'm going to echo the other posters and say go for it and enjoy yourself and then start over

(not currently on a keto diet, but was on a modified one for about a year to lose the weight)
  • ginnyspencer1
    ginnyspencer1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes - super duper awesome. THANK YOU ALL OF YOUZE GUIZE!

I'll try to remember everything and estimate portions because that will be hilarious in my diary. ;)

this! yes, please do :-) awesome!
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Eat away..as long as you go back to straight keto you will get back in ketosis in a few days.
    Depending on how you do it, you can get back into ketosis in well-under 48 hours.

I've done a few experiments myself - using a ketone meter to ensure accuracy, and I've been able to get back into ketosis in just over 24 hours, but it's a royal pain in the *kitten*.

The last time I left ketosis, I gained 9 lbs in two days, so don't be surprised when/if that happens - remember, it's water weight, FYI...

To get back into ketosis very-quickly involves rapidly depleting all your glycogen AND eating extremely low-carb and less protein than I'm used to, which is very difficult. My last experiment involved a 24g net carb intake coupled with nearly 2 full hours of all-over-body weight-training (to deplete muscle glycogen) in addition to 2 full hours of moderately-intense cardio (to deplete liver glycogen). Yes, roughly four full hours of workout that day.

The next morning, after my normal bathroom break, I was within 2lbs of my normal weight. By noon that day I was back to normal weight and back in nutritional ketosis. FYI, the experience was brutal, and I don't see myself doing it any more, ever. I've done enough n=1 experiments where I leave/re-enter ketosis to last a while now. It's not worth re-entering it that fast, LOL. I'm just not very patient.
  • SisterMable
    Options
    So... to circle back. Last night was the fancypants Bordeaux dinner. I went ahead and ate the mushroom ravioli, and a little bit of the GF polenta lemon bread, and drank a LOT of delicious wine. I also went ahead and ate the little golf ball of sorbet. And the 2" piece of ginger lemon cheesecake ;) To be honest.... though it was all quite tasty in my mouth, by the time I got back home I felt a weird kind of *high* and I felt really bloaty and uncomfortable all night. THEN I had super excruciating ANKLE cramps around 3am wtf.

I'm not likely to do this again anytime soon.

Out of curiosity, I checked the scale this morning and had added a good 3 lbs of water weight too. Ugh.

However, I feel pretty certain the fact I'm right back on the horse this morning will get me back into keto quickly. Won't check my ketostix until at least tomorrow though ;)