I need to make a change and I'm confused

Options
pistachiopeas
pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
Hello everyone,
I've been logging on MFP diligently for just over a month now. I've lost a couple pounds but my weight seems to fluctuate a lot. All of a sudden, I feel stuck, and for the past couple of days, I feel really hungry. I have read a lot on these forums and done a lot of research outside. I've realized it's time for me to up my calories because the last couple of days have been almost painful!

My biggest concern in upping my calories is that I won't adequately figure out my activity level. Right now, I am doing C25K 3 days a week. The other days (like today), I usually walk my dog for an hour at a good pace. In April I did the 30 day shred. Should I be at Moderate?

The details:
I'm 5'1.5 (61.5 inches), 32 years old, and 145 pounds. Using the three methods on Fat2Fit and choosing the middle on, I think my body fat is 25.2%. I'm trying to get to 135 pounds.

Using Scooby's calculator, if I set my activity to moderate, with TDEE -15%, it gives me a BMR of 1432 and a TDEE of 2198. It suggests eating at 1868 to lose.

On Fat2Fit, my BMR is calculated at 1430 (roughly the same). But if I put 135 as my goal weight, the chart says to eat 2198 if I have moderate exercise. Do I subtract something from that? Or did I mess this up?

Right now, I have MFP set to Lightly Active and .5lb per week. It gives me 1600. I eat some of my exercise calories back. My diary is open to the public and I'd really love some feedback. Thank you!

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    First, in the normal rough TDEE chart levels, walking only counts for half the time as more intense exercise. So say 6 hrs of walking the dog - that's only worth 3 hrs of exercise in the charts, to add on to whatever other exercise you do.
    Because 1 hr of walking is no where near the calorie burn of 1 hr of running as 1 hr of lifting, ect.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

fat2fit is designed to give TDEE at goal weight if that's what you use, and as such the deficit from current TDEE is very minor indeed, tad too little actually unless you really want to drag it out forever.
    Plus, while they help you calculate a bodyfat %, and take that figure, and show you the Katch BMR for it - that TDEE table (even using current weight as goal weight) is using the inflated Harris BMR as basis for math and eating levels - not the more accurate Katch BMR.

Skip them as they are a diet plan too and don't give straight figures for you to do your own.

Take that BF% stat over to Scooby's Most accurate link, select Katch BMR and enter your BF%, and add up your exercise time with suggestion on walking above.

If the C25K is about 30 min currently x 3, then 3 hrs + 1.5 = 4.5 hrs - which is rough Moderately active.

Now, that is all based on those TDEE table assumptions your normal life is sedentary desk job outside of exercise. If that is not true, then you need to increase a level.
  • pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    First, in the normal rough TDEE chart levels, walking only counts for half the time as more intense exercise. So say 6 hrs of walking the dog - that's only worth 3 hrs of exercise in the charts, to add on to whatever other exercise you do.
    Because 1 hr of walking is no where near the calorie burn of 1 hr of running as 1 hr of lifting, ect.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

fat2fit is designed to give TDEE at goal weight if that's what you use, and as such the deficit from current TDEE is very minor indeed, tad too little actually unless you really want to drag it out forever.
    Plus, while they help you calculate a bodyfat %, and take that figure, and show you the Katch BMR for it - that TDEE table (even using current weight as goal weight) is using the inflated Harris BMR as basis for math and eating levels - not the more accurate Katch BMR.

Skip them as they are a diet plan too and don't give straight figures for you to do your own.

Take that BF% stat over to Scooby's Most accurate link, select Katch BMR and enter your BF%, and add up your exercise time with suggestion on walking above.

If the C25K is about 30 min currently x 3, then 3 hrs + 1.5 = 4.5 hrs - which is rough Moderately active.

Now, that is all based on those TDEE table assumptions your normal life is sedentary desk job outside of exercise. If that is not true, then you need to increase a level.

Thank you so much! I do have a sedentary desk job, so I think that is accurate for me. I just did Scooby's most accurate calculator and it gives me a BMR of 1434; TDEE of 2223 and a calorie goal of 1890 (with 15% reduction and moderate exercise). I think this looks good. Thank you again!