bougie size

Options
Hi.

I have read a alot about the bougie the dr uses during surgery and Im curious if anyone asks or even knows what size bougie their doctor might have used?

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    My discharge papers say that a 32 size bougie was used. It's the smallest bougie size recommended. Of course some doctors staple further from the bougie and some staple very close to the bougie, so actual finished sleeve size will vary based on the doctor's techniques.
  • Mbdb131
    Mbdb131 Posts: 13
    Options
    The dr i want to use says he uses a size 40

My discharge papers say that a 32 size bougie was used. It's the smallest bougie size recommended. Of course some doctors staple further from the bougie and some staple very close to the bougie, so actual finished sleeve size will vary based on the doctor's techniques.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It's not a huge difference in size between a 32 and a 40.. Some doctors feel that a 40 is a much safer option and will make you less prone to reflux and strictures... A 32 is considered the smallest that should be used.
  • Pearlsbabygirl
    Options

Thanks for that information. I hadn't heard that term before. I have an appointment schedule for tomorrow and I think I will ask my doc the size he used. It must be a bigger one as I haven't had any discomfort while drinking my shakes.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My surgeon gives everyone a 40. He feels it gives good restriction and is big enough to prevent (or not contribute to) reflux.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    good question! When i get that far in my process, i'll be sure to bring that up. thanks for the topic!