Anyone not had Armour work out?

Options
emcdonie
emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
I feel highly frustrated with my thyroid. I initially began on synthroid and done well. My cycles regulated immediately and I lost a lot of weight. I supplemented kelp for the iodine. Things were going great except I still had some other issues(thin hair, joint inflammation) I thought maybe going on Armour would solve or reduce them, so I did.

Then I had a period of time where I got very frustrated with the medical profession entirely and didn't take anything at all. I regained my huge loss so quickly it shocked me. Far more quickly than the math added up to be. Anyway, it is what it is. :-( I am logging faithfully for the last few weeks to make sure of things.

I have been back on the Armour for a couple months and I don't see it working as well. It has had that time to kick in and I should be re-dropping the pounds quite well and I am not. I also have lost my cycle again. :-( I am thinking about making an appointment to get back on levothryroixin. I am overdue for a TSH check anyway.

I hate to take a non natural pill unless absolutely necessary....but it seems it is. However, I am second guessing if I am just not giving it enough time to kick in. Back when I went on synthroid the effect was immediate almost.

Am I alone in this? It seems so many I read about about before were helped so much by going on Armour.

Replies

• MmmDrop
    MmmDrop Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    In order for me to get NDT to work effectively and get rid of the nasty symptoms of hypothyroidism (I don't have a thyroid) I had to correct other deficiencies - Vit. D, Iron, Sex Hormones. Also, Armour didn't work very well for me... but Nature-throid works amazingly. Not all NDT's are created equally... and once you start taking NDT, basing treatment by your TSH becomes completely useless at it artificially suppresses your TSH.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In order for me to get NDT to work effectively and get rid of the nasty symptoms of hypothyroidism (I don't have a thyroid) I had to correct other deficiencies - Vit. D, Iron, Sex Hormones. Also, Armour didn't work very well for me... but Nature-throid works amazingly. Not all NDT's are created equally... and once you start taking NDT, basing treatment by your TSH becomes completely useless at it artificially suppresses your TSH.

^^THIS

I had an awful initial experience on Armour due to (1) A dose that was too low (I think the Synthroid to NDT conversion charts are WAY OFF) (2) low iron, vitamin d, and B vitamins. Once I got those two issues fixed, and was being regulated by symptoms and Free T3 only, I feel great.

Very helpful information: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ndt-doesnt-work-for-me/

I like Mmm's suggestion of trying nature-throid also, but don't give up on NDT altogether - it often takes a bit of tinkering.
  • emcdonie
    emcdonie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sounds crazy, but you know, I didn't even consider the dose might just be way to low or something. I had been on 75 with levo, and he prescribed 60 of Armour. I will google about it.

Vitamin wise, I would think I should be good. I take a lot of D daily and quite a cocktail of supplements really. (vitamin B complex, MSM, Kelp, prenatal, D 5000-10000, vitamin c, and sometimes probiotics and gelatin) Iron should be fine now as I also supplement it, plus I eat a fair amount. It was low in the past though.

Been about a year I think since I have had bloodwork which is why I reckon it needs checked. The last doc I had isn't available anymore, so I have to get a new one shortly. Hopefully a cooperative one.

I knew the TSH often isn't really definitive and symptoms are a better gauge. The real pushing issue for me is the lack of monthly. I don't want to have to go get hormones to "force start" it. For years I had trouble with that. The same week I went on synthroid I had one and stayed clockwork while I took it. I went off and the cycle started lengthening and then quit again. :-(

The lack of weight loss is ticking me off too I admit. The thinning hair thing, the only thing holding that at bay is my MSM supplement. I take those for my joints now and it is amazing for them, but they help offset the hair issue fortunately. I know my thyroid is the root of that issue though. Of course I hope and pray to balance that root cause.
  • soupandlettuce
    soupandlettuce Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    What is msm? I am on armor and once the dose was increase to 90mg my joint pain disappeared. I am just getting a little stiffness ocassionally in the mornings but it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be.
    Still having hair loss and some fatigue but don't want to increase dose anymore .
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am also on Armour. Had some tweaking. I take 60 mg in the morning and 15 mg at night. I really watch that I wait about an hour to eat or drink coffee. I take my vitamins at noon to help absorption. My doctor stresses the strength training. I too was having trouble with the scale not moving. MFP and the above has finally helped move the scale. I still have aches and pains, sugar is a big culprit for me. Good luck, Hope you get to optimal, normal is not an option!
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthroid + cytomel, Armour and am now on WP Thyroid. I've noticed no significant changes after switching to any of them. I am currently a bit underdosed but have about 4 weeks before I can see my dr and get a new prescription so perhaps later on I'll notice a difference.

Your diary is closed but I wonder if you're getting enough dietary fat. A low fat diet can wreak havoc on hormones and interfere with monthly cycles, cause hair loss, etc