Net Calories too low after exercise? really?

Options
ginnyspencer1
ginnyspencer1 Posts: 16 Member
I've been eating keto for 2 months (170 to 160lbs) & am hype to have finally joined MFP today to help me knock out my final 15lbs! My target calorie intake each day is currently app. 1100 calories (80f/65p/20c). BUT...today I burned close to 500 calories in kettlebell exercises (I do 2x p wk), which on My Fitness Pal shows that after eating 1100 calories - burning 500 calories exercising = I only have 600 calories netted for the day. Is that ok? I really don't want to EAT the calories I exercised... Anybody?:huh:

Replies

• ginnyspencer1
    ginnyspencer1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    should i really shoot for my goal of 1100 calories to be 1100 AFTER exercising calories are taken out? Meaning I need to eat an extra meal on days I work out heavily, since I'm already at a 900 calorie deficit, at an 1100 goal?
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, what are your macros ? Most importantly, listen to your body not numbers on websites and blogs.
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you are at a 900 cal. deficit with only 15 lbs to loss, you probably need to eat more even if you aren't working out. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ is a good calculator for setting up your goals. And remember your cal. goal should never be below your BMR.
  • rainbowunicorns720
    rainbowunicorns720 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'd say no. a lot of people over estimate calories burned during exercise and end up eating too many calories and not losing as a result. If you don't feel like eating i wouldn't force it. but if you do get hungry maybe eat like 250 calories instead of 500 so you have some room for error. I eat the same amount of calories as you and weigh a lot more. i also lift weights and any exercise i do i just count as a bonus deficit. I hope you are taking a multivitamin though as it's hard to squeeze in all the proper nutrients when calories are that low.
  • sarrajune
    sarrajune Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd say no. a lot of people over estimate calories burned during exercise and end up eating too many calories and not losing as a result. If you don't feel like eating i wouldn't force it. but if you do get hungry maybe eat like 250 calories instead of 500 so you have some room for error. I eat the same amount of calories as you and weigh a lot more. i also lift weights and any exercise i do i just count as a bonus deficit. I hope you are taking a multivitamin though as it's hard to squeeze in all the proper nutrients when calories are that low.

This is what I do and it's worked out okay (including the vitamin)
    And as to the listen-to-your-body Yoda, I feel better than ever to boot!
  • PandaFather
    Options
    Do not count net calories. When you are doing keto the only thing you have to worry about hitting is your protein and carb macro (and by hitting I mean not going over). Fat and fat calories are ONLY for satiation to ensure you aren't hungry. Basically if you are hungry eat more fat calories, if you aren't hungry don't eat more. You will get to know your body much better if you rely on the hunger meter instead of just counting calories. also maintaining a deficit only helps you to reach your goals. Also, just a word of advice, if you feel hungry drink a glass of water first, wait 15 minutes then eat with another glass of water. Often times when we feel hungry we are actually just thirsty.