Supplements?

Options
Kaitlyn811
Kaitlyn811 Posts: 49 Member
Just curious if anyone takes supplements, and which one's?

Whether it's powders, capsules, etc.

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    I take vitamin C because of its benefits, I take D because I was dangerously deficient, I also take B, niacin, fish oil, garlic, coq10, colloidal silver, and cinnamon & chromium (helps w/blood sugar). All the supps are in capsule form. My hubby goes rouge and buys the powder (yuk), and drinks liquid cod liver oil (double yuk)!
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Fish oil, B multi, D and a gut pro-biotic with another gall bladder pro-biotic and a gall bladder herbal health supplement (I have Gall stones, but these have honestly fixed them or at least stopped the pain)
  • Kaitlyn811
    Options
    Interesting! Jeez, how do you guys keep track of all that? ;)

"guys" meaning male and female - I'm from the way North - "guys" is all encompassing LOL
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My staples are: Dr. Mercola multi-vitamin (helped with mineral deficiency big time), vitamin D3/K2 liquid, and Green Pastures high vitamin butter oil/fermented cod liver oil (gel not capsules).

This month (and only for a month or two to address my mental issues) I have added Dr. Mercola probiotics/ b12 spray/ curcumin/ magnesium l-threonate/ zinc/ more vitamin K2. I'd like to add the liposomal vitamin C too but the expense was getting out of hand; maybe next time. I use a melatonin spray too but probably shouldn't. It helps with the 24 sunlight and I've always been a "slow" sleeper.

Ideally, vitamins need to come from food and it's questionable how much can be absorbed from vitamins. The Green Pastures is actually a food as you scoop it out by the spoonful. I'd recommend being careful with regular fish oils; I think krill is a better option if one isn't using fermented clo.

I eat a number of foods specifically for their health benefits as well.
  • Kaitlyn811
    Options
    I was looking into FCLO. I was thinking of that, paired with ZMA and Coq10. I eat a pretty good diet considering the SAD. But I don't eat offal (yet).

How do you feel on FCLO? Is there a marked improvement?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I was looking into FCLO. I was thinking of that, paired with ZMA and Coq10. I eat a pretty good diet considering the SAD. But I don't eat offal (yet).

How do you feel on FCLO? Is there a marked improvement?

If you don't eat much organ meat I think FCLO is a MUST. I don't know if I feel any different as I only started taking it after already being Primal/Paleo for a year and a half. But it's healthy fat/organs that makes up for not having the diet that my ancestors did. I also give it to my child and it has definitely slowed down her cavities.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Interesting! Jeez, how do you guys keep track of all that? ;)

"guys" meaning male and female - I'm from the way North - "guys" is all encompassing LOL

I do the same thing, and it's pretty much understood.
    It has been such a routine, that it just comes naturally.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Vitamin d,vitamin k and magnesium glycinate
    I have taken many other things over the years but these ones seem to benefit me the most
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I take nothing. I try (try being the operative word) to get all my nutrients from my food. But now that I don't have access to fresh sustain-ably caught wild fish I think I need to take some kind of fish oil.

The question is why do you think you need a supplement? Is there something lacking from your diet, are you under constant stress, do you have hormonal issues, are you not getting enough sunlight, do you have a cold etc? Take the time to figure out what you need, otherwise your just wasting money.

Also not all supplements are equal. Cheaper brands use synthetic vitamins which aren't as bio-available as naturally derived vitamins plus they use cheap( read unhealthy) fillers and tableting agents. Fish oils is another murky area...most fish oil is made from rancid old fish. Maybe do a bit of research to find one that best suits.

Sorry if this sounds preachy.
  • SteamClutch
    SteamClutch Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Probiotics will go away when I get my gut on line with Kombucha. From what I hear there is virtually no way to get an adequate supply of D3 unless you supplement or live naked on the equator. Someone please tell me what FCLO is...
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I take nothing. I try (try being the operative word) to get all my nutrients from my food. But now that I don't have access to fresh sustain-ably caught wild fish I think I need to take some kind of fish oil.

The question is why do you think you need a supplement? Is there something lacking from your diet, are you under constant stress, do you have hormonal issues, are you not getting enough sunlight, do you have a cold etc? Take the time to figure out what you need, otherwise your just wasting money.

Also not all supplements are equal. Cheaper brands use synthetic vitamins which aren't as bio-available as naturally derived vitamins plus they use cheap( read unhealthy) fillers and tableting agents. Fish oils is another murky area...most fish oil is made from rancid old fish. Maybe do a bit of research to find one that best suits.

Some of us need supplements that in no way can be provided by the foods we eat. I do agree that you have to consume the best quality, otherwise, you're putting crap in your body. Ideally, high quality powder is most beneficial (my hubby is capsuling ascorbic acid/rose hips as I type). There are many brands of high quality fish oil, and i use brands that I trust.
    And yeah, you sound a little preachy :P
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    Probiotics will go away when I get my gut on line with Kombucha. From what I hear there is virtually no way to get an adequate supply of D3 unless you supplement or live naked on the equator. Someone please tell me what FCLO is...

Fermented Cod Liver Oil, YUK!!

ETA: Yuk because I'm thinking of burping the aftertaste, but I would probably give it a try.
  • nickymaire
    nickymaire Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Some of us need supplements that in no way can be provided by the foods we eat. I do agree that you have to consume the best quality, otherwise, you're putting crap in your body. Ideally, high quality powder is most beneficial (my hubby is capsuling ascorbic acid/rose hips as I type). There are many brands of high quality fish oil, and i use brands that I trust.
    And yeah, you sound a little preachy :P

Sorry was talking to the OP. She didn't mention any reason why she was asking about supplements. So I stated "why do you think you need them ...blah blah blah".

If you know you need a supplement by all means take it!. But since I spent five year of my life selling vitamins and supplements and all the rest, I know that people get sucked into the idea that they have to take something, that's just good marketing not a real need... So that's where I was coming from.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options

Sorry was talking to the OP. She didn't mention any reason why she was asking about supplements. So I stated "why do you think you need them ...blah blah blah".

If you know you need a supplement by all means take it!. But since I spent five year of my life selling vitamins and supplements and all the rest, I know that people get sucked into the idea that they have to take something, that's just good marketing not a real need... So that's where I was coming from.

I see where you're coming from. I do believe that some folks overdo it when they don't have to just because they've read somewhere.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this myself lately. I don't eat much fish so I plan to start taking FCLO (Fermented Cod Liver Oil, Clutch) as soon as my Amazon order gets here. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the other supplements that all the gods of MFP and Pinterest keep telling I must take to be healthy. Currently I take nothing and while I do want to take whatever supplements I need to make up for any deficiencies, my question is how do I know what I as an individual actually need? Is there a test I should take? I'm planning on adding FCLO for sure and most likely Rhodiola (for issues with fatigue/short term memory), and magnesium. I have had some low white blood cell counts lately, so immune support and fatigue are my main concerns.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

Fermented Cod Liver Oil, YUK!!

ETA: Yuk because I'm thinking of burping the aftertaste, but I would probably give it a try.

I burp fish oil (and fish in general), but after the first day of FCLO, I did not burp. I don't take it because it's delicious; I take it because I don't eat enough foods that support the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. Ditto for child.

PS. during last night's dose my child actually asked for more. I don't love it, but I no longer hate it. Tastes can change.
  • GrokRockStar
    Options
    I wish I exposed my kids to this way of eating at an early age. I'll have to keep working at it. I'll look for FCLO, I haven't seen it in my neck of the woods, but I'm sure it's around.
  • washingtonred
    Options
    Green Pastures high vitamin butter oil/fermented cod liver oil (gel not capsules).

I just ordered some off of renewedhealth.com and it was much cheaper than Amazon. I paid $46 for a 8oz bottle and I have it on auto delivery every 3 months and the shipping was free.

I got the unflavored gel, but they have capsules and the flavored gels too.

Red