use to do this...

Options
but now im having trouble going around the track on time with out getting a stich.... #ihatedeskjobs

Replies

• yvettem128
    yvettem128 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started back running again. I have a treadmill at home because the weather in Chicago is so crappy...I figured this sounded like a great challenge. Will we post weekly results?
  • Tmatthias63
    Tmatthias63 Posts: 11
    Options
    i would be in on that.
    starting today (then every friday) or what day?
  • sayray16
    sayray16 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi Yvettem128, I can definitely post my personal results if you would like to see how things are working for me. I would love to see the progress of others as well. I started this on Monday, April 28th, 2014 and will be weighing in on Monday, May 5th, 2014. I think it is best to weigh in every week to see true results, as weight often fluctuates day to day. I thought this would be a fun way to stay motivated and keep goals in place. I moved to Monterey, CA about eight months ago and have just recently signed up for a gym membership. I do my running/walking on a treadmill, though I will have to start running outside once I get in better shape. I am training for the Pacific Grove 5K in November. I think six months is more than enough time to prepare. I hope to hear of others joining me in this "5K A Day" challenge. I would also like to know if anyone has ever run a 5K and what their best times were.
  • sayray16
    Options
    Hi Tmatthias63, It's great to hear that someone else has tried this. I would like to hear about your personal experience with running/walking a 5K every day. So far, I find it to be not as hard as I thought it would be. I haven't been very active in the past few months, so I needed something to challenge myself and I thought training for a 5K would be a great way to get back in the groove. As far as when you should start, I think you should set your own schedule. I will most likely be posting my personal results and weekly experiences every Sunday night because that is when I am also stuck behind a computer for work. My week days are my weekends so I won't be around a computer as much Monday-Wednesday. But I will come back to check in on everyone during the weekends and see how we are all progressing. I started this past Monday and will be weighing in every week. hope it turns out to be a great experience for you and for everyone else who gives it a go.
  • bri503
    bri503 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    what a great idea for a challenge! got in 8 miles trail running today--how about you guys?
  • Tmatthias63
    Options
    I just finished my first pacer time at 28 .36/ outdoor track. It was on a scale of 1 to 10 a solid 7 difficulty w/ beginners side stitch and luckily no leg cramping. Hope to improve upon this time set by set. Current lbs is 275.4. Goal is 245
  • Tmatthias63
    Options
    Yep, as I said I was 245lbs and that's when I was doing a5k every night (gym running) and I would love to get back down to that size. Its a step by step process, the first thing you MUST fight past is that side stitch... :/
  • strongformygirls
    strongformygirls Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am in! Sounds like a great challenge. I am quite sick right now but hoping some rest and chicken noodle soup will cure that quick and i will be up and participating by tuesday!
  • sayray16
    Options
    Hey guys! I know everyone has their own way of going about this challenge. I just noticed two comments about the mighty painful "side stitch" and I thought I would throw in my personal experiences. I noticed that when you start out small and work your way up, it doesn't happen as often (at least not for me). There have been times in the past however, when I just went full monte after not exercising for a while and that's when the ab pains hit hard. Just an observation. My advice is to start slower and work your way to that speed you want to be at. Oh and sorry to hear about your cold Emily :( Hope you feel better soon!
  • LyniaDixon
    LyniaDixon Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm new to this ...so I'm going to need some motivation but I'm ready!!!!!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    6.79 miles, 14,373 steps walking.

Planning to start C25K on Tuesday
  • sayray16
    Options
    LyniaDixon, it's going to be a challenge in the beginning but it's doable and it gets better day by day. If you keep at it, soon you'll be like Socajam and doubling your mileage. My goal is to one day run a marathon (about 26 miles). Nothing comes easy. The best thing about achieving your goal is knowing that you truly earned it. You got this girl! :)

Socajam, that is really great! You basically walked a 5K and back. The couch to 5K plan is a great way to train. I look forward to seeing your progress in 9 weeks :)
  • aries7298
    aries7298 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love this idea! I recently did a 5K (my first ever!) and I logged 37 minutes.... not great, but I'm thinking not a bad place to start. I also recently stopped several other seriously bad for me habits so I will need something to take my mind off of those and back on the right track!! Thanks for thinking of this. Best of Luck everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • danabm
    danabm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Happy to join.

With warmer weather coming I will be hitting the pavement and hopefully get back in the habit of my daily afternoon jog. What I think is some of the best therapy!

I currently get up every morning and to time on my elliptical, typically no less than 15 minutes. It keeps up with distance, but in RPM and I am not sure how to convert that to miles. Any help with that would be appreciated.

I have a pedometer on my desk at work so I will also try to get better about using it.

Looking forward to hitting my 5k goals with everyone!
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of this thread to post my progress walking/jogging/running a 5k every day (with a rest day each week).

I'm starting today! I'm training for a "fun" 5k through the YMCA at the end of this month. My first 5k was a "fun run" at a state park last weekend. It really WAS fun. I couldn't believe it. So now I'm going to be training to do at least one 5k a month during the summer months. I don't know if I'll do any serious ones yet, because I'm such a beginner at running, but we'll see!

I walked 2 mi at lunch today, and I'm hoping to finish the remainder of the distance this afternoon after I get out of work.

I'm probably going to run between 1-3 miles every other day and do the remainder in walking. Then the days I'm not running at all, I will walk 5k.
  • bigburd82
    bigburd82 Posts: 7
    Options
    I ran 2 miles and walked one today. This is great considering I'm "running" the Beat the Bridge in Seattle on May 18th. It's an 8k to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. The last time I ran this was 14 years ago and I weighed 123lbs. I'm 164 so it'll be a challenge, but I'm up for it. I've got to work my way up to the 5k at minimum! Keeping in touch with this Board will keep me inspired. Thanks!