Foamies, slime, heaves & killer heartburn...

Options
It's 1:00 a.m. and I can't lay down due to all of the above mentioned issues. I can start by saying it isn't fun at all. :cry: I'm 6 weeks out and taking Protonix 20mg each morning. Although I slipped today about 8 p.m. and had a chocolate oatmeal cookie, I was fine when I initially laid down around 11:40. Around midnight I realized I forgot to take my bedtime meds so I took them and then came the heartburn...immediately...followed by the foamies...then the slimy heaves.

Conclusion: Chocolate don't like me anymore...at all. I'm not sure my bedtime meds like me either. :grumble:

My question to all the long-time sleevers: Is this an early-on issue or is this experience a life-time thing anytime I mess up?

Replies

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm 6 months out. For me, it happens when I mess up. Last night was one of those nights. Found a recipe for single serve "protein cake" made with protein powder, egg, pancake mix, milk, and Torani sugar free syrup. Good stats for "cake". Tried to eat 1/2 a serving which was WAYYY too much. It was tasty and I ate way too fast! Hurled that stuff up for hours. It was just too heavy and too much of it too fast. Won't make that mistake again any time soon! I also take a PPI morning AND night as I had reflux pre-op and this surgery can make it worse. I don't typically have issues with any particular food as long as I stay withing the capacity boundaries of my sleeve but last night... ugh! Wake up call!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I am almost 3 years out and I still will wake up with heartburn and regurgitation like symptoms if I eat within an hour of going to bed. Smaller tummy, no room to slosh around when we lay down.

The slimy and foamy I only get when I have had too much to eat, even one bite too much. I lose the "too much" and then the slimy/foamy goes away. I don't lose the whole meal, just the too much. It's been like that since surgery and frankly I'm fine with that. It's uncomfortable, so really makes me pay attention to my "I'm full now" cue so I can avoid being sick. Automatic portion control! Love my sleeve!

PS if my schedule screws up my timing and I wind up having to eat later than I want and have had the right amount of food (so I'm not feeling slimy/foamy), taking one Malox before I lay down really helps. No regurgitation or heartburn.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    How many grams of sugar were in the oatmeal cookie? Anything over 6 g is gonna be a problem because it causes gastric dumping. If the cookie was too dense and dry it will get stuck likely causing and hour or two of pain and barfing up phlegm. I am 5 months out and I do not touch dry food. But it sounds like you had been ok for a few hours. My reflux meds are no longer optional. Some foods are just gonna give me trouble. Maybe you need to split your treat. Dark chocolate or oatmeal cookie, the combo is probably too rich. When I have dark chocolate I must have my reflux meds on board. I stick to almond Macaron cookies (almond flour, egg whites)because others tend to make me queasy. Too many carbs
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry! Chocolate is not your friend, count yourself lucky that you're having a bad reaction, it may serve as a deterrent for a while!!! Don't sabotage yourself, this is your honeymoon period, you aren't even totally healed, be careful and make wise choices.

Good luck!!!
    stacy