Terrified my hair will fall out..

kglowins
kglowins Posts: 111 Member
I had my surgery one month ago. I am curious if anyone had a horrible experience with hair loss? I'm not looking forward to that at all! Aside, from keeping protein high is anyone doing anything extra to avoid it? I would appreciate any tips or tricks. :)

Replies

• misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Take a Biotin supplement. I actually just bought some dissolving ones yesterday at my local CVS because I'm afraid of my hair thinning as well :)
  • jogawa15
    jogawa15 Posts: 34 Member
    I had heard it is not avoidable even most people who took supplements still lost some hair. Never heard of anyone going bald on the bright side. :) I lost some hair from month 6 to month 12 or so although a lot of hair fell out it was fine.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    Thanks for the reply. Did you find that your hair grew back?
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    From everything I've read it's pretty unavoidable. The bright side is that it's only temporary and it will grow back, taking Biotin will help with the regrowth. I'm dreading the day when the hair loss starts. I cut my hair short so it's not as heavy, I'm avoiding any kind of damage from coloring or alcohol based products. I don't even brush or comb my hair, I just run my fingers through it. I'm crossing my fingers this will help a little.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I lost very little hair. I do take a hair, skin and nail supplement every day, maybe that helped? I also make sure I get all my protein, I am sure that helps too!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I lost a lot of hair from 3 to about 9 months BUT it was partially avoidable. At 3 months we were in Alaska visiting our Air Force son, his wife and their new baby. I literally forgot to eat most days, maybe one or possible two meals a day, not enough protein, and I did this for two weeks. When we got home and I started thinning, my doctor asked about my protein, that's when I realized what I did. He started me on Biotin, upped my protein and it eventually helped. I think now most of it has come back. So my advice:

- Start biotin or a product called "Hair, Skin and Nails" before the hair starts falling out, even before surgery. You will still lose but not as much if you start treating before you need to,
    - Make sure to get in your protein, every day if possible! It's OK to average it for a week as each day is going to be slightly different for both calories and protein. So figure out what your average for the week should be and make sure to get that.
    - Make sure to use a really gentle shampoo and conditioner just to "baby" your hair. Can't hurt

Good luck everyone. Most of us that thin during this get most if not all our hair back. It's really rare for someone to thin out and not regrow.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    I wish I had cut mine immediately just to prevent the wear and tear from washing. I use a giant wet comb to lightly arrange it. Maintaining high protein is pretty much key. We see this all the time with people after hospitalization for severe illnesses. A month to three months later they lose a lot of hair. I would expect significant hair loss starting around 3 months and let this motivate you to get down your protein and stay away from empty carbs until you have met your protein goals for the day. Everyone in support group seems to regrow their hair after about 9months. We would all do it again , even if we went bald.
  • jogawa15
    It all grew back:)
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    I'm concerned about what "significant" hair loss is? Are you talking like hair loss from chemotherapy or just a little more than what you would normally see? Do you get actual bald spots? Is it just from not eating enough protein? I have tremendously thick hair (as every hairdresser in my life has grumbled about) so losing a little is not going to make a difference, but having it fall out in clumps might really alarm me. What is the story here?
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    I lost my hair by the handfulls starting about 3 months. I am 8 months out and still losing but it has slowed. I was VERY alarmed but the damage is long done so I upped my protein and it seems to be getting better. My hair and nails have been VERY brittle with split ends going all the way up the strand and my nails splitting.

I am on supplements now but I will still take the hair loss etc to have the results I have had with the surgery. I am happier now than I have ever been. I feel FREE!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    I am just over 3 months out and noticed I am losing some hair (but not handfuls). I have always kept my protein at 60-70g per day. I do not take Biotin, as it does not do anything to prevent hair loss or foster regrowth-- it does thicken and strengthen the hair you already have, though. I might consider it, but at this point I have not lost enough hair to be too concerned. I agree with others who have said regardless of hair loss, we still would have had this surgery. :)
  • jogawa15
    I too have lots of hair they always grumble and want me to get it thinned. It did come out in handfuls and when I went to the hairdresser they were suprised but no there were no bald spots and other then shedding hair like a cat and my hair being everywhere it was nothing to stress over. I decided not to take anything cuz my dr had told me it won't make much of a difference. From month 3 till about month 8 or 9. I got a lot of protein in but doc says it is from the shock of how few calories you east during that time. No bald spots no one noticed other then shedding more hair then usual.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    I take a biotin supplement. Don't know if it's helped or if I'm just lucky, but I haven't noticed significant hair loss. The best thing you can do to prevent hair loss is take a biotin supplement, get all your vitamins\water and at least 70g of protein every day. In short, be a compliant patient. :-)