Quick question

Options
youdontknowme9
youdontknowme9 Posts: 73 Member
How many of you drink diet drinks? I have fallen in love with the clear American fruit flavored drinks (I know..full of chemicals but I miss my sodas) and sugar free Jellos with whipped topping (one of two sweets I do allow). However, I am starting to wonder if I should cut them out too to get a steady weight loss instead of this froggy in a well type weight loss...

I have cut out most of my cheese (other than the cheese on the hamburgers, and even that I cut back on. And I still have some sour cream from time to time.

Other than that, most days I'm staying at about 12 to 20 carbs a day.

So..either the drinks are throwing me off or it's just the nature of the beast.

And before you tell me to exersize more, I can't. I need to lose more weight before I can, I was walking often and stuff, but then I started having issues with sore knee joints (and I'm terrified of ruining those), then I lifted weights...and those joints hurt...so, I'm holding off until I get smaller. (only about 30 lbs more to go for that number). next week I am going swimming...WHOOHOO...

Let me know...I'm stressing here.

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I sparingly use sugar free drinks, Jello or treats. However, I eat ton of cheese and drink lots of heavy whipping cream.
  • ali59oc
    ali59oc Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I gave up soda years ago. I eat lots of cheese and sour cream though. Try water. it's what your body wants and once you start drinking it in quantity, it grows on you. I used to say "Water and Wine is all i drink" but now i'm just down to water :smile:
  • sarrajune
    sarrajune Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You should be filling up on fatty foods, and cheese is usually a great option so I wouldn't cut it out.

From my experience the problem with sugary drinks is that many sweeteners have zero calories but still affect your blood sugar, which will give you cravings or hunger pangs, in addition to affecting your weight loss to some extent. I cut them out completely for that reason. I would do some research and see if there are any ways you can get drinks you like that are sweetened naturally with stevia, monk fruit, or even splenda. There's debate on splenda's healthfulness but as far as I know it at least doesn't have the effect on your blood sugar, so I use a dab here and there for myself with no ill effects :)
  • Deborah105
    Deborah105 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    How many of you drink diet drinks? I have fallen in love with the clear American fruit flavored drinks (I know..full of chemicals but I miss my sodas) and sugar free Jellos with whipped topping (one of two sweets I do allow). However, I am starting to wonder if I should cut them out too to get a steady weight loss instead of this froggy in a well type weight loss...

I have cut out most of my cheese (other than the cheese on the hamburgers, and even that I cut back on. And I still have some sour cream from time to time.

Other than that, most days I'm staying at about 12 to 20 carbs a day.

So..either the drinks are throwing me off or it's just the nature of the beast.

And before you tell me to exersize more, I can't. I need to lose more weight before I can, I was walking often and stuff, but then I started having issues with sore knee joints (and I'm terrified of ruining those), then I lifted weights...and those joints hurt...so, I'm holding off until I get smaller. (only about 30 lbs more to go for that number). next week I am going swimming...WHOOHOO...

Let me know...I'm stressing here.

One thing I've tried lately for a soda-like treat is club soda, apple cider vinegar (the kind with the "mother"), a pinch of ginger, and some Stevia. It's tart and delicious!

But yes, water is your friend!

I do love a Fresca on occasion. Maybe with some bourbon glugged in there. I'll deny of course. :)
  • skinnyone2012
    skinnyone2012 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I drink water. At least 64 oz a day. My loss slows down as soon as I add anything with sugar alcohols in it.
  • anndelise
    anndelise Posts: 14
    Options
    To help wean my bf and daughter off of sodas, we bought one of those at-home soda makers. These basically carbonate some water after which you then add a flavoring. There are flavoring syrups, but I used frozen juice concentrate. Since you are in charge of how much flavoring you use, you can gradually cut down on it as your tastebuds adjust to less and less flavor/sweetener.

Personally I love water. But once in a while I like the carbonated feel.
    I recently found a recipe for making fruit vinegars. I am considering trying to make some with my garden fresh strawberries this year and then see how well they can be used as a soda flavoring. (I have just started this diet and don't want to waste my strawberry patch.)
  • 1cafesvp
    1cafesvp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've always been a diet 7-up lover (for you in the US i believe the equivalent is Sprite) but i gave it up as part of my new year's resolution. I only drink Perrier or Club Soda now as my craving is really the fizz more than the taste. This compromise satisfies me. I need to work on that water intake though....this is a real big challenge challenge for me - i'm like a camel - i can go all day without drinking of feeling thirsty...yikes.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    My drinks are water, BPC, tea on occassion & once in a blue moon I love a fresca. I was drinking those Mio drink mixes for a while but I found I preferred my water plain.
  • dmclva
    dmclva Posts: 9
    Options
    Definitely a water only person. I'm VERY skeptical of sweeteners. If I do sweeten anything, it's just my coffee with a bit of liquid stevia. I think kicking the diet soda habit is really important to moving toward a keto-adapted lifestyle.
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Initially I would still have one small diet drink a day, but I have found that I feel more refreshed and tend to prefer water most of the time. I leave diet soft drinks to really special occasions. Often they taste too sweet as well... I guess my taste buds have changed
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any adverse reactions to artificial sweetners, so I use them frequently. I have Crystal Light and sometimes use Mio. Diet soda drinks are more infrequent, but I still consume them. The majority of my intake is water, however.