Whole 30 and medication

Options
joybedford
joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
Hi I decided to do another whole 30 today is day 2. However I have been to see my doctor today as I have been having swallowing difficulties, the food gets stuck half way down and I need to drink lots of water to get it moving. I have a long history with gastric reflux, oesophagitis and he has suggested I return to the lanzoprazole I was on previously. Unfortunately the ingredients include maize starch and sodium laurel sulphate. I don't want to spoil my whole 30 but I think I do need these meds.
Also I am being referred for an endoscopy and will need to be sedated will this affect whole 30. I don't want it to fail before I have begun.

Replies

• justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I think you should do the whole 30 and if you are on meds,you are on meds.
    Are you doing the auto immune protocol for the whole 30?
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I agree. Just do YOUR Whole 30. The Hartwigs aren't gonna bust in your house and arrest you for taking medication with trace amounts of corn in it! :-)
  • joybedford
    Options
    I now have visions of them flying to the uk and arresting me, too funny. I am just doing an ordinary whole 30 maybe auto immune some other time. To be honest I don't know what I would eat on that plan but it probably would benefit me.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree as well, take your medication and do your Whole 30, and let us know how you're dong!
  • joybedford
    Options
    I will keep you posted. I am pretty scared about the endoscopy I used to be a nurse so I have witnessed them firsthand and they don't look pleasant but needs must. I am however fed up of this after 27 years it's time to have it investigated. The swallowing problems are new but the reflux has been their since age 15.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Hi I decided to do another whole 30 today is day 2. However I have been to see my doctor today as I have been having swallowing difficulties, the food gets stuck half way down and I need to drink lots of water to get it moving. I have a long history with gastric reflux, oesophagitis and he has suggested I return to the lanzoprazole I was on previously. Unfortunately the ingredients include maize starch and sodium laurel sulphate. I don't want to spoil my whole 30 but I think I do need these meds.
    Also I am being referred for an endoscopy and will need to be sedated will this affect whole 30. I don't want it to fail before I have begun.

Do you not get complete relief after being Paleo for a length of time; perhaps 30 days?

I can't tell you to skip the meds though I want to...; I'm not a doctor and I'm not you and don't fully know your situation. However, I had GERD for so many years and so severely that surgery was being considered (supposedly the opening to my stomach wasn't closing) . Meds always made me sick with a ton of side effects. I was also diagnosed with ulcers, and probably had them since childhood. GERD vanished in a week after going Primal, and I haven't had a sign of ulcer since either. Keep in mind I'm ketogenic, as you know. When I fall off the sugar wagon, GERD starts again.

There is no reason why you cannot keep going on with your Whole30, even with the pharmaceuticals.
  • joybedford
    Options
    I intend to keep going with whole 30, still not taken the meds. I am not in pain or even got reflux at the moment but I am having swallowing problems. My GP thinks the lanzoprazole might help with this. I don't see how it would personally so I think I will see how it goes and not take them for now. I am ready for the endoscopy not had any investigations into this just been told what they think is wrong (acid reflux due to sphincter muscle not closing properly). It will be reassuring to rule out anything nasty, although I am not excited about the procedure.
    I do get relief from paleo so will keep going.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I intend to keep going with whole 30, still not taken the meds. I am not in pain or even got reflux at the moment but I am having swallowing problems. My GP thinks the lanzoprazole might help with this. I don't see how it would personally so I think I will see how it goes and not take them for now. I am ready for the endoscopy not had any investigations into this just been told what they think is wrong (acid reflux due to sphincter muscle not closing properly). It will be reassuring to rule out anything nasty, although I am not excited about the procedure.
    I do get relief from paleo so will keep going.

My diagnosis was the same (re: sphincter and GERD) but if diet resolved the problem completely, and within days, I would say the diagnosis is wrong, in my case. Is that an antacid? It's more common that people have too little stomach acid and yet everyone is being put on antacids; it's illogical AND dangerous. The antacids they tried to give me caused so many terrible side effects that I never kept taking them (thank god). Stick to Paleo eating and go from there.

I was supposed to have an endoscopy too but backed out of it. Glad I did. I'm done with pharma and medical procedures. Get your diet in order and if you still have serious problems after a month or two, the perhaps more is required.