When can I expect to lose fat?

Options
I have been eating a 1200 calorie diet (or less, I didn't always eat back my exercise calories - glad I finally know better!) for the past year or so. I was able to lose some weight, but my body looked the same - still skinny-fat, still with all the same problem areas.

I've recently (since March) been slowly increasing my calories closer to my TDEE, after reading up on Eat More to Weigh Less. According to the calculator I used (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/), my BMR is 1477, TDEE 2290, and daily calorie recommendation to lose fat (20% reduction) would be 1832. I've used a few other calculators as well, and they all give me about the same answers. I'm 144 lbs., 5'5", 22 years old, moderate activity level (Pilates and HIIT 5-6 hours a week).

I've slowly been increasing my calories, and I'm now eating about 1781 (and I eat my exercise calories back).

Should I continue to increase to get up to the recommendation of 1832 calories? Is a 20% reduction too much? Should I aim for 15%?

When can I expect to begin to see fat loss?

I gained a tad bit of weight when I started upping my cals (give or take 5 pounds), but I'm not super concerned about that. I would like to ultimately get down to 132-134 pounds with 21-22% body fat. Right now I'm at 26-28%. My biggest priority is health obviously, but also finally looking toned and getting rid of the flab.

I've also been watching my macros more carefully. I'm definitely feeling much better - less deprived, more energy, getting my cycle of starving myself and then binging under control.

I'd just like some perspective on a realistic timeline of when I might begin to see some changes. Thank you for your insights! :)

Replies

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    When eating according to your calculated TDEE, you do not eat exercise calories back. TDEE takes into account a rough (very rough) estimate of your overall caloric burn, including workouts. Since online calculators aren't 100% accurate, you could in fact be eating at or above maintenance because you eat your exercise calories back.

For healthy fat loss, you should aim for 1-2lbs loss/week (not exactly as linear as I'm making it out to be). One recommendation is to eat at 1800 calories, and if you don't gain or lose a pound after a week, this is roughly your TDEE. Gradually start eating at a 250-500 calorie deficit should provide weight loss.

Also, realize that macros are more for body composition change. Overall caloric intake will determine weight gain/loss. If your goal is to put on lean muscle as well, you will need to start a weight training program. This will put you in a further caloric deficit, and the fat loss will highlight muscle/strength gains. (Newbies can add muscle in a caloric deficit)
  • aarondnguyen
    aarondnguyen Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The calories set by MFP are only guidelines. It can in no way account for individual differences such as the intensity of your workouts (if you're weight training) or your occupation (i.e. mailman vs. office job). Be as consistent as you can with a caloric target and monitor the mirror/scale for a few weeks before adjusting your calories accordingly..

I would say to wait at least 2 to 3 weeks before changing your macros. If you're changing them too often (a beginner mistake I personally made), you'll never see results.
  • Hiennn
    Hiennn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to counting macros but saw a change in body composition, lost of body fat, within 2 weeks. I initially used iifym.com to calculate the numbers but found the following article to be very informative. It helps to understand the logic behind the calculations and what to do, when.

http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-to-calculate-macros-for-cutting/

You mentioned wanting to be "toned," that was my initial goal too, until I realized "muscular" is even better. =) quickest way to getting rid of the flab, in addition to hitting your macros of course, is lifting heavy weights. Bodybuilding.com, simplyshredded.com and YouTube (look for deadlilft, barbell squat, snatch techniques, how to build up to a strict pull up, etc) has plenty of detailed instructions and even workout plans if you just need an idea on how to get started.:smile: