Just wondering...

Options
sunnycrisv
sunnycrisv Posts: 19 Member
I gave blood today, which I do every couple months when the bloodmobile comes to mu work place. You know they do that whole BP, HR, iron thing first. My normal stats are 120/80 BP, 66-68 HR, and 13 on the iron count. I've started a primal lifestyle (almost 4 weeks now) since the last blood drive. Stats today at 2 PM after a cup of coffee and a vouple cups of tea and chatting through all the measurements were significantly different in some areas. 121/71 BP so not all that different. HR 52 which had me and the tech going WOW! And 15.1 on the hemoglobin. I'm not an athlete by any stretch. I walk the dogs a little over a mile nightly. I get up from my desk hourly and walk 5-10 minutes including climbing a total of about 39 flights of staies throughout the day, and if I'm not suffering from PF I might jog/walk a couple miles once or twice a week. This week I started doing an at-home beginner Crossfit program. I don't get dizzy or lightheaded or anything like that, but I did everyday before my primal switch. I'm not sure if I should beconcerned about these things or take something like the lower heart rate as a sign of my body not being wheat-stressed anymoreand therefore ok. What do you guys think? Have you had any similar experiences? Oh, also, 20 years ago when I was super fit (ran 3 miles every other day, rode 5-10 horses a day and did all the farmwork), my resting HR was 44bpm so maybe its just natural for me.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, a lower resting heart beat is a GREAT thing. As you mention, it was lower when you were even fitter.

I've had nothing but awesome health improvements since going Keto/Primal/Paleo. I listed all the illnesses that I have resolved or had vast improvement with in the pinned "Success Stories". I do see people worrying about medical diagnostic tests even when the feel awesome- because they are still somehow convinced that Paleo must be unhealthy it seems- which gets to annoy me sometimes since cholesterol testing has been so misapplied and is mostly meaningless and results in advice from doctors that can create, or make worse, health problems….. I just don't bother with them. Seriously, if my body and brain feel this awesome, I don't need medical tests (that only measure certain parameters with a very low level of real understanding of what is good or bad - especially holistically speaking).

What would you be concerned about? You aren't dizzy, but were before. Your heart rate is lower the healthier you are. Your blood pressure is awesome. You are quite active. Are you looking for something to be wrong when all the REAL evidence (your own experience) indicates otherwise?
  • sunnycrisv
    Options
    Lol, Akima, no I don't want to find anything wrong. You're absolutely right about trusting our bodies. Thanks for the reality check!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, a lower resting heart beat is a GREAT thing. As you mention, it was lower when you were even fitter.

I've had nothing but awesome health improvements since going Keto/Primal/Paleo. I listed all the illnesses that I have resolved or had vast improvement with in the pinned "Success Stories". I do see people worrying about medical diagnostic tests even when the feel awesome- because they are still somehow convinced that Paleo must be unhealthy it seems- which gets to annoy me sometimes since cholesterol testing has been so misapplied and is mostly meaningless and results in advice from doctors that can create, or make worse, health problems….. I just don't bother with them. Seriously, if my body and brain feel this awesome, I don't need medical tests (that only measure certain parameters with a very low level of real understanding of what is good or bad - especially holistically speaking).

What would you be concerned about? You aren't dizzy, but were before. Your heart rate is lower the healthier you are. Your blood pressure is awesome. You are quite active. Are you looking for something to be wrong when all the REAL evidence (your own experience) indicates otherwise?

I think this is one of those times where "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" comes back to bite us in the *kitten*. The change often seem too good to be true, so we immediately think that something must be "wrong" (especially when it creates a cognitive dissonance), even when it's just that we've gotten used to "sick" being the norm.
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Great numbers! You just prompted me to check my resting heart rate and it's at 68 (after 2 weeks of being super strict) instead of the old 82-85 when I'm not strictly primal. It's awesome when we feel good, eat great food and get the results!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Lol, Akima, no I don't want to find anything wrong. You're absolutely right about trusting our bodies. Thanks for the reality check!

You are doing awesome and keep going. Our body is a perfect, miraculous thing; when we treat it properly. :flowerforyou:
  • sunnycrisv
    Options
    Great, Kiwi! Keep it up!
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just a warning to get yourself checked if you're not feeling well or if you've any concerns.

mine is normally low, around 60, but when my thyroid decides it's taking a bit of a dive it can go as low as the high 30's/low 40's. I've never found any correlation between my thyroid acting up and/or my pulse and how clean I've been eating.