Quorn/soya products?

Options
ericanom
ericanom Posts: 27 Member
Hi everyone I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago and I regularly eat soya and Quorn products as I'm a vegetarian. I've been hearing that soya is bad for your thyroid and wondered if anyone else could give me some information about it because I really don't want to cut it out of my diet as I'd be stuck for other things to eat. Thanks!

Replies

• steviecooke1985
    steviecooke1985 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Same here! I'd just live on vegtables and pasta if i didn't eat quorn! I know a lot of people say it's bad, but I've not noticed any bad effects myself.

I'd be interested to see if anyone has noticed a real difference giving up soy?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Could the problem with soy be one of under medication. If you are on good levels of medication, in theory you should be functioning at a more normal level for yourself. To take a thought from STTM, as many people are undiagnosed and or are under medicated there must still be people with a low thyroid diagnosis who still have too many symptoms.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My endo says that everything in moderation is OK. How often do you eat soy?
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I was told to avoid all goitrogens and soy is a goitrogen. To my knowledge goitrogens suppress thyroid activity. The exact opposite of what I'm trying to do. I'm not far enough along in my treatment to start experimenting with what foods to keep yet, I'm just on the elimination side of thngs.
  • ireneblackwell
    ireneblackwell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i have also read that soya is one to avoid, but if you're happy with what you're doing, then i see no reason to cut it out completely. sometimes all this new information is totally confusing ! just go with your instincts.
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Something you may want to research is raw soy vs cooked soy product. I have heard some say that cooked soy is ok to consume with thyroid medications but that raw isn't. I don't eat any soy just as a precaution, knowing that it can potentially interact with my medication and render if less effective.