Should runners have "NRVs"?

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I got half way up on a pull up today...that is the best I have ever done in my whole life lol.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    On my cruise, I got up. Did the Disney 5k. Went back to my room. Took care of my preschoolers. Hauled everybody to the beach. Played with them in the sand. Did the 5k route on a bike with my 4-year-old behind me. Got everybody down for a nap and packed for Miami. Never would have been able to do that without running. I totally agree with Marc Parent when he said "running doesn't get easier. It's Life that gets easier.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    This is kindof a race, but also not. I do flyball with my dogs. Fells is 3 years old and has been racing for 2 years. He also goes on many of my runs with me. I think that the combination of:
    -- me running faster with him multiple times per week
    -- that I am able to release him, sprint with him to the start/finish line, and then, after he turns from the box, sprint from the line to encourage him to run back faster; and do this 50 times over the weekend
    has made Fells faster.

He's been doing his runs at an average of 7 seconds for two years. Last weekend his average was 6.5 seconds with multiple 6.3 second runs. I think that he can get even faster, too.

This makes my inner tail wag. How cool is that?
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Love this. I had a NRV a few weeks ago during a 10 mile training run. I just felt amazing. Like I could run fast and far.

The next weekends 12 was rough but that 10 was perfect!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Love this. I had a NRV a few weeks ago during a 10 mile training run. I just felt amazing. Like I could run fast and far.

The next weekends 12 was rough but that 10 was perfect!

The worst part about having a good run like that is having to end it when you feel like you can go further, but know you shouldn't and/or don't need to.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    And finding "the shoe." After 1.5 years of searching and getting fitted, I finally have the shoe that's meant for me. That's huge in my book :)

My runnin' shooooooe

Yes!! I have loved the Nike Vomero+ 7s and they're discontinued. I found a spare pair the other day on eBay. :)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    NRV: when a long run is over 20 miles... When just starting out a mile would be considered an ultra run... Lol
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I paced a friend last weekend to her first 100k finish. This is a really tough race with over 12,000 feet of gain and descent. I came in during the last 12 miles and she had been fighting cut offs all day. She had a 5 minute cushion at the first cut-off then was right at the cut off when I picked her up. The aid station captain even encouraged me to go up the trail to pace her in because she was coming in by the skin of her teeth. I managed to create a 5 minute cushion again at the penultimate cut off but the final cut off was at the very top of a 2.5 mile, 1200 foot climb. We just had no wiggle room and she was cooked. I was pushing her so hard toward the end of the last climb. I could tell she wanted to screaming at me and throwing me off the mountain but there nothing to be done about it. She was either going to get pulled or let go to finish but regardless I wanted her to go down swinging. But we got let through thank goodness because there was a park ranger up there ready to enforce the cut off. They were not messing around.

That was one of the most stressful and rewarding running related thing I've ever done.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I was able to run a couple of 8-minute-miles today. I haven't been able to do that for two or three years due to surgery, rehab, and niggling, recovery-related injuries.
    Was QUITE fun!
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Just in the last month, I've been able to run 4 separate sub 7 min miles. That's a personal victory for me.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread idea! Yay for celebrating all victories!

For the last couple years, I have walked up the (long, steep) hill at the end of my long runs as a cooldown. Recently I have started running it however tired I feel (I moved but the hill is similar). I know this has made me a lot stronger, and the hill gets easier and easier even as my distance increases, which feels great!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    About six weeks ago I was due a 13K LSR, and ended up taking a wrong turning. I ended up doing 17K, the furthest distance that I'd done up until that point. The big success for me was the point of realisation, that I had an extra four to do, didn't faze me at all so I just got my head down and got on with it, and enjoyed the whole run.

The last couple of K were hard work for me, but I managed to keep the pace up and complete the whole thing,

Given that I've only been running for a year it was a good feeling to have done it, and left me with confidence that this years objectives are realistic.
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just had an NRV last night. My 8.5 mile run brought me 2 new accomplishments. It was the most I've ever run on a weekday and it brought me to 32 total miles for the week, which is the most I've ran in a single week before. I didn't even hit 30/week before my first marathon and I've maxed out at 20/week before my previous half-marathons. I'm pretty confident now that I'll do well in my 3rd half on June 7th and know I'm building a really solid base for my second full in October.

I felt pretty amazing after my run yesterday too, which was surprising considering it was on the treadmill so I could get some hill work in (I live in a flat area :frown: ). Not often that I finish a treadmill run with a huge smile on my face.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My NRV is one that someone pointed out to me the other day. I am pacing my friend for part of the way when she runs her first 100miler and another friend when she runs her first full marathon. I don't consider myself a great runner but it is a victory for me to be good enough to help out friends.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Love Love the idea!
    Mine right now is my best friend whom I have known since second grade, I convinced her to sign up for the warrior dash with me this coming June. She hasn't ran in probably 20 years. I have been coaching her through the couch to 5K and cheering her on. We have gone on a few runs together and I have to admit it feels good to be able to talk to her and coach her on and not be tired. And that will be after running 4-5 miles at lunch before hand.
  • des10705
    des10705 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    bump to follow
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've finally managed to get my running mojo back this year after several years of struggling to find it and failing. I am so so glad to be back running consistently (minus an injury this last week) and enjoying it! :-)

It's great to hear about everyone else's victories too! Brilliant idea for a thread
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's mine. At the start of this year I decided to make an effort to do more trail running as I built up to a 50-mile race. As many of you know, the race didn't go well; I ended up dropping out after 50k, which was still a pretty substantial effort but not what I was hoping for.

But despite missing that goal I'm starting to realize that I have become a much better trail runner. Just under a year ago I ran Pilot Mountain with a friend and found it very difficult. It took nearly two hours to run 8.2 miles, and I fell on my face a couple times. I remember some sections being extremely steep and difficult.

Fast forward to this morning, when I ran the same trail solo. Not only did I cut 20 minutes off my time, I pretty much shrugged off the "hard" parts, and didn't even have any close calls, let alone falls.
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I like this idea. My biggest NRV this year would be finding a podiatrist who is helping me overcome reoccurring peroneal tendinopathy in both of my feet. Finally figured out that when it comes to shoe fittings and gait analysis, if you are an individual with lots of old injuries; there are 'professionals' and then there are "PROFESSIONALS".....

A more running type of NRV would be finishing a 6 and a half hour solo trail run and being able to run the last set of stairs; then logging onto Garmin connect to see that the total elevation gain for the run was over 1,400 metres :)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My biggest NRV recently has been finding a new love of running. I had a DNF about a month ago in a marathon I trained very hard for and had high hopes of busting through BQ-5 (my goal, I'm at -1min 40 seconds right now, which might not be good enough this year). I got to mile 23.5 with a predicted finish time at that moment of 3:29:15 (my goal was 3:30:00) but I suddenly got sick and puked after taking my last gel. I guess my BP tanked because of that and I suddenly felt really cold (it was 80 degrees). I stopped at a med tent and they helped me, but I chose not to finish because I was feeling so ick. Plus, I was just super-depressed in that moment...

But the last 4 weeks have been a complete turn around for me. I've started reading a lot more about running, changing up my diet, seeking my "racing weight, and running without technology (phone, ipod, watch, etc). Last weekend I raced a 10k with no watch...just me and the pavement and my inner racer. and I won!!!! and PRed by 3minutes. So...yeah...in a way it is a "racing" victory....but for me, I feel like the victory is just that I have come back around to where I was a long time ago, just loving running...feeling every run, just loving being out there. And I have my revenge marathon in November; I just know I am going to crush my goal because my mind is now in the right place.